Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

I think he meant  it.  I just saw Ortiz in person a few days, but he looked like a true MLB caliber shortstop - much better than anyone else we had with a glove.  I'm not claiming to be a scout or anything like that. It's just my guess that he's our shortstop next year.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I think he meant  it.  I just saw Ortiz in person a few days, but he looked like a true MLB caliber shortstop - much better than anyone else we had with a glove.  I'm not claiming to be a scout or anything like that. It's just my guess that he's our shortstop next year.

I would take that bet. Gunnar has locked down being the primary SS.Not saying he won’t play some 3B, but I will be very surprised if he isn’t the guy there.

16 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I would take that bet. Gunnar has locked down being the primary SS.Not saying he won’t play some 3B, but I will be very surprised if he isn’t the guy there.

Yeah, well I didn't make a bet, and I meant much better than anyone at Norfolk. Gunnar is great everywhere. I think Gunnar and Ortiz is a better combination than Gunnar and Mayo.

19 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Yeah, well I didn't make a bet, and I meant much better than anyone at Norfolk. Gunnar is great everywhere. I think Gunnar and Ortiz is a better combination than Gunnar and Mayo.

Do you mean better defensively or overall?

29 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Do you mean better defensively or overall?

I think he's better defensively than anyone we have, including Gunnar.  He's a very good player overall also. I hate that he basically missed the last month. He was putting up some great numbers, even with going back and forth to the majors a couple of times.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do teams judge players from other teams based on what that other team’s GMs say about them?   I doubt it.  If they do, they’re pretty stupid.  

Well if he said we don’t believe he’s an everyday SS or isn’t a MLer, I don’t think that bodes well for his value.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think he's better defensively than anyone we have, including Gunnar.  He's a very good player overall also. I hate that he basically missed the last month. He was putting up some great numbers, even with going back and forth to the majors a couple of times.

None of my earlier comments are meant to disparage Ortiz. I was beating the drum all year for him to be up and be the everyday SS. I think he has a chance  to be a really good player. I just don’t feel he is going to be the primary SS for the Os now that Gunnar has had the year that he just had. I certainly won’t be upset to be wrong.  My ideal scenario is Ortiz SS, Gunnar 3B, Holliday 2B, Mayo 1B, Westburg super sub. Just not sure if that happens.

I would have absolutely no problem with Joey Ortiz getting lots of playing time at SS for the Orioles next season.  He's got nothing left to prove at AAA.  Let at least two of Mateo/Frazier/Urias go, and  there is plenty of playing time for Ortiz. I'd be up for a regular infield of Westburg at 2B, Ortiz at SS and Gunnar at 3B to start next season, with Holliday and Mayo starting the season at Norfolk working on their defense.  If Mayo can improve enough defensively to be playable at 3B, then Gunnar moves to SS, Holliday moves to 2B, we keep either Westburg or Ortiz as a super utility player and we trade the other.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Obviously…but not saying what he did could cause some to think he doesn’t value him enough. He absolutely needs to say it and more than that, every GM does the same thing..thus why it’s meaningless.

It’s meaningless but he absolutely needs to say it.  Got it.

6 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Gunnar was unreal. I just think he's better at third, and that's his best long term position with his size. I think Ortiz or Holliday will play short with Holliday or Westburg at second. I see Mayo at first or in right.

I always assumed Mayo would be at third base or traded. Putting a guy with his arm at first just seemed like a waste. But watching the NL playoffs it occurred to me that if Nick Castellanos can be a serviceable RF for the Phillies then Mayo can certainly play there for us. We've seen a lot of Mayo comps mentioning Troy Glaus, Austin Riley, and even Kris Bryant, but I wonder if Castellanos w/more power might be closer to the truth.