Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

On 9/4/2023 at 5:27 AM, Tony-OH said:

Wow, I didn't realize how much the automated strike zone has helped the hitters. That's a huge jump and explains partially why so many hitters are having so much success in AAA this year. You have to wonder if major league baseball will allow that to come up with such a spike in offense. 

I've watched the ball-strike challenge during AAA games and they are pretty quick for the most part. I saw one game where they must've challenged (both hitter and catcher) like 20 pitches in a game and the call was overturned in about 16 of 20. 

That may have been the extreme game but it does take some getting used to. I do think the automated strike zone will help the Orioles more than hurt. With the young players coming up having that patient approach, we've seen way too many bad calls go against Adley, Gunnar and several others this season.

Yes, I understand "framing" is a thing, but should it be? I mean honestly, that's like saying your catcher cheats better than other catchers. :D 

Do we know if the automated balls and strikes system in AAA uses the three-dimensional space of the strike zone?  The statcast graphic only shows the ball at the front of the plate, but pitches within about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the zone can break into the zone by the time the ball reaches the back of home plate.

Edited by Hallas

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

Do we know if the automated balls and strikes system in AAA uses the three-dimensional space of the strike zone?  The statcast graphic only shows the ball at the front of the plate, but pitches within about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the zone can break into the zone by the time the ball reaches the back of home plate.

What is a strike in baseball? Robots, rule book and umpires view it differently | AP News

At first, the robots were programmed to call a two-dimensional zone at the front of the plate, and MLB also experimented with a three-dimensional zone. This year, the ABS calls strikes solely based on where the ball crosses the midpoint of the plate, 8.5 inches from the front and the back.

13 hours ago, baltfan said:

Funny that you should see it that way since Tony saw that the argument was what I am saying and created a whole thread based upon evaluating the argument. 

There are pages and pages of posts. I've responded to multiple of yours which included such gems as "Show me another team with rookies that underperform as much as the Orioles when they first come up?" and citing the Reds as a team where every prospect succeeds out of the gate because of a successful player that's almost 26 (and isn't a rookie) while their best prospect struggles. 

The larger point about our players being taught to be very selective and needing to scale it back in the Majors is fine - the rest of your argument is not. 

Edited by TheWall

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

What is a strike in baseball? Robots, rule book and umpires view it differently | AP News

At first, the robots were programmed to call a two-dimensional zone at the front of the plate, and MLB also experimented with a three-dimensional zone. This year, the ABS calls strikes solely based on where the ball crosses the midpoint of the plate, 8.5 inches from the front and the back.

It sounds like the zone is a little small right now.  Maybe they can check the ball at both the front and the midpoint of the plate.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bluedog said:

If Coby Mayo hits a HR today and gets 2 RBIs, he'll put up a 30 HR, 100 RBI season - at 21 years old...

...and he's currently ranked as the O's 4th best prospect.

It's a good time to be an O's fan.

Couldn’t agree more.  He’s come a long way.  One of my biggest concerns about Mayo was how much he pulled the ball.   This season he must have close to double digit opposite field homers.   

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Couldn’t agree more.  He’s come a long way.  One of my biggest concerns about Mayo was how much he pulled the ball.   This season he must have close to double digit opposite field homers.   

It also seems like he has the power to hit it out in LF at OPACY.  

Per Baseball America

18. Coby Mayo, 3B, Orioles 

Hot Sheet Appearances: 3

The Scoop: In his age 21 season, Mayo split his time between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk, producing one of the best statistical seasons in the minor leagues. Among players with a minimum of 500 plate appearances, Mayo ranked as the 5th best wRC+ in the minor leagues alongside Jackson Holliday and Junior Caminero. He was also one of 18 players with 29 or more home runs in the minor leagues this season. Mayo’s union of contact, approach and power has allowed him to find success during his professional career and looks like the next wave of Orioles impact rookies. (GP)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Per Baseball America

18. Coby Mayo, 3B, Orioles 

Hot Sheet Appearances: 3

The Scoop: In his age 21 season, Mayo split his time between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk, producing one of the best statistical seasons in the minor leagues. Among players with a minimum of 500 plate appearances, Mayo ranked as the 5th best wRC+ in the minor leagues alongside Jackson Holliday and Junior Caminero. He was also one of 18 players with 29 or more home runs in the minor leagues this season. Mayo’s union of contact, approach and power has allowed him to find success during his professional career and looks like the next wave of Orioles impact rookies. (GP)

Given that he matched Holliday and Caminero statistically and did it at higher levels, isn't there an argument to be made for Mayo to win Minor League Hitter of the Year?

20 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Given that he matched Holliday and Caminero statistically and did it at higher levels, isn't there an argument to be made for Mayo to win Minor League Hitter of the Year?

You wouldn’t have to convince me much. The argument is definitely there. However, the way BA works, they will always give such awards to guys who they ranked higher for longer (in this case Jackson or Caminero), rather than someone with helium that rose up very quickly (almost unanticipated) like Mayo did. This way it validates their ranking system and their staff opinions.