Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I always assumed Mayo would be at third base or traded. Putting a guy with his arm at first just seemed like a waste. But watching the NL playoffs it occurred to me that if Nick Castellanos can be a serviceable RF for the Phillies then Mayo can certainly play there for us. We've seen a lot of Mayo comps mentioning Troy Glaus, Austin Riley, and even Kris Bryant, but I wonder if Castellanos w/more power might be closer to the truth.  

I understand your point, but 40 HRs with a solid OBP won’t be a waste no matter where he plays.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Obviously…but not saying what he did could cause some to think he doesn’t value him enough. He absolutely needs to say it and more than that, every GM does the same thing..thus why it’s meaningless.

I don't think an opposing general manager would pay any attention to any general comment from a GM about a player, good or bad, unless perhaps it was something about work ethic, but then who ever talks about that while a player is still with an organization. That has to be what all those scouts employed by each organization would be evaluating. Did Elias listen to the Angels' GM about Elias or what his people saw, for instance.

36 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't think an opposing general manager would pay any attention to any general comment from a GM about a player, good or bad, unless perhaps it was something about work ethic, but then who ever talks about that while a player is still with an organization. That has to be what all those scouts employed by each organization would be evaluating. Did Elias listen to the Angels' GM about Elias or what his people saw, for instance.

Of course but when you publicly talk about a player, you see found to say lots of good things, no bad things and you are going to make everyone think you feel a certain way.

Every GM does it and it just doesn’t mean much. So him saying Ortiz is going to be the starting SS for Baltimore long term is exactly what he should say and it means exactly nothing.

I thought that was an unusual comment and there was no reason to say it if he didn't mean it. I don't think another GM is going to up the offer more for Ortiz because they heard what Elias said to reporters. Has he said anyone else would be a starting shortstop long term in the majors? I don't know if he was even that specific for Gunnar or Holliday, even though we all know they will be playing somewhere if not shortstop.

I think he meant it. You don't. No way to know right now.

41 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I thought that was an unusual comment and there was no reason to say it if he didn't mean it. I don't think another GM is going to up the offer more for Ortiz because they heard what Elias said to reporters. Has he said anyone else would be a starting shortstop long term in the majors? I don't know if he was even that specific for Gunnar or Holliday, even though we all know they will be playing somewhere if not shortstop.

I think he meant it. You don't. No way to know right now.

Building up your top prospects to the media is part of GM speak and I would not read much into it. If they were that high on Ortiz, he would have been given an opportunity this year. 

So he’s behind Gunnar, Westburg, and next year he will also be behind Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo in the IF pecking order.

Is there a path to regular playing time? Sure, but it’s far from a given and Gunnar’s development at SS makes the path that much harder for him. 

20 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Building up your top prospects to the media is part of GM speak and I would not read much into it. If they were that high on Ortiz, he would have been given an opportunity this year. 

So he’s behind Gunnar, Westburg, and next year he will also be behind Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo in the IF pecking order.

Is there a path to regular playing time? Sure, but it’s far from a given and Gunnar’s development at SS makes the path that much harder for him. 

Yes, no one said it was a given. Just my guess/prediction.  I think he ends up ahead of Westburg, and Mayo plays first or right. I still think it was an unusual comment about Ortiz and I don't think any other GM waits on Elias to tell them who our best players are. I certainly don't think Elias is looking for GM comments to decide who he wants to acquire. That part is what is most meaningless about the comment.

6 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

With all the young LH bats (Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Basallo, Henderson) in our system we'll need an impact RH bat like Mayo in the lineup to keep opposing teams honest. I hope like hell we don't deal him for pitching at some point in the near future, although I have a feeling that other GMs are going to insist that Mayo be included in any significant trades. 

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

With all the young LH bats (Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Basallo, Henderson) in our system we'll need an impact RH bat like Mayo in the lineup to keep opposing teams honest. I hope like hell we don't deal him for pitching at some point in the near future, although I have a feeling that other GMs are going to insist that Mayo be included in any significant trades. 

Couldn’t agree more and well said.

Edited by Say O!

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Along with Holliday and Basallo, he's an untouchable in my opinion.

I get the feeling they've earmarked certain people as untouchable studs, and those three are part of that group along with Adley, Gunnar. Grayson and maybe even a few more guys.

38 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I get the feeling they've earmarked certain people as untouchable studs, and those three are part of that group along with Adley, Gunnar. Grayson and maybe even a few more guys.

If we're adding the big league roster, than yes, those three would also be on the list and Bradish might be a 6th. I was just talking about prospects wise, those three are the only untouchables for me.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

If we're adding the big league roster, than yes, those three would also be on the list and Bradish might be a 6th. I was just talking about prospects wise, those three are the only untouchables for me.

There may be untouchable but there are also players with 5 or 6 year of team control that it make little sense to trade.  Kjerstad, Cowser, Bradfield, Beavers, Johnson, Hall, Bautista, Westburg,  and Ortiz.   The price will probably be so high on these players that no team would meet the asking price.  For next year Santander, Mullins and Hays may be in the category.

Edited by wildcard