Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not rushing him if he proves to be “too good” for the level he’s at. Age doesn’t matter.

How many 18-year-olds do we see go from Low A ball to Double A in a single season?  Very few.  

You add that he plays a difficult position like catcher, and it's even less likely that we see quick promotions because they are going to want him to focus on his defense as well at each level.  Assuming that even the bat is going to be good enough to jump two levels in his first professional season, is extremely optimistic. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ChuckS said:

How many 18-year-olds do we see go from Low A ball to Double A in a single season?  Very few.  

You add that he plays a difficult position like catcher, and it's even less likely that we see quick promotions because they are going to want him to focus on his defense as well at each level.  Assuming that even the bat is going to be good enough to jump two levels in his first professional season, is extremely optimistic. 

Sure it's extremely optimistic.

But to dismiss the idea out of hand?  Short-sighted. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we should keep guys down where they aren't being challenged to build up their self confidence.

Who is arguing for that?

All I'm saying, is that projecting an 18-year-old catcher in his first professional season to be able to jump two levels, isn't realistic.  Not impossible.  Unlikely. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

1) this is his third pro season..although it’s his first full season.

2) Yes, it is optimistic. I didn’t say it would happen, I said there is a chance and there is. He will hit that 200 at bat mark around June. If he is playing at a high level, he moves up then or sometime soon after. I think it’s likely he doesn’t get past Aberdeen but I wouldn’t rule it out. By that point, he will be 19 and if he has showed well in Aberdeen’s park, he certainly could go to Bowie late in the season to get his feet wet at that level.

Being in Bowie is an “everything goes right” scenario but he’s a very talented guy who the org obviously really likes.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it's extremely optimistic.

But to dismiss the idea out of hand?  Short-sighted. 

Did I dismiss it out of hand?

Nope.  I said it was unlikely.  We are debating projections here.  If he plays the second half of the season in Frederick because he was able to dominate Delmarva, that to me would be a successfull season, and a reasonable expectation. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

Did I dismiss it out of hand?

Nope.  I said it was unlikely.  We are debating projections here.  If he plays the second half of the season in Frederick because he was able to dominate Delmarva, that to me would be a successfull season, and a reasonable expectation. 

But I also said it’s unlikely. Your original post made it seem like it’s crazy to even suggest it.

You guys could argue over what prospect can spit the sunflower seed shells the furthest. :D

Basallo looks like a future beast for sure, but there's a long ways to go. I do agree being a catcher is something that could cause him to move slower than a guy like Gunnar, but his bat will probably mostly determine his movement this year. Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen him catch a game and while he's got a strong arm, his release needs work and obviously his accuracy. 

I don't know if he was calling his own game or not as I saw him look over a lot into the dugouts, but I didn't see anything that stood out as poor in that regard. He's very athletic and moves well for his size, but he was down on one knee with a runner on 1st and was unable to get up and make an accurate throw to get the runner attempting to steal. 

Regardless, he's going to be a very interesting prospect to watch this year. He doesn't turn 19 until August so he's a legitimate 18-year old who already looks like a man child.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But I also said it’s unlikely. Your original post made it seem like it’s crazy to even suggest it.

Let me put it this way:  I think you'd struggle to find a single instance of an 18 year old catcher in his first (full) professional season going from Low A to Double A ball.  I'm sure it's happened.  Has to be extremely, extremely rare.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Let me put it this way:  I think you'd struggle to find a single instance of an 18 year old catcher in his first (full) professional season going from Low A to Double A ball.  I'm sure it's happened.  Has to be extremely, extremely rare.  

I'm sure.  For instance Ivan Rodriguez spent the entirety of his age 18 season in A+ ball.

His age 19 season was split between AA and the majors.

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I am sure it is. He also may play some first base as well, so maybe the whole “catcher thing” isn’t as big of a deal in this case.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Basallo has a chance to be on the ML radar within a year or so. 

I tend to doubt he gets to AA this year but I think it’s possible. Most likely, he stays in Delmarva for 2-3 months and then moves to Aberdeen for the rest of the year. But if Delmarva ends up being a 1-2 month stay, then Bowie sometime in August remains a possibility.

He’s probably one of the handful of guys I am most intrigued with in terms of watching his progress this year.

Well, him and that stellar 2021 draft class of course.

I don’t think there’s the slightest chance he’ll be in Bowie this year.  I’d say the odds of him getting past Delmarva are less than 50/50 — not because he won’t hit, but because they’ll want him to spend time working on his defense without worrying too much about facing higher level pitching.  The kid is going to be 18 almost all season, no reason to rush him unless it’s just ridiculously obvious that he’s too good for low A.  I think next year is when they’ll push him a bit.  

I'm pretty confident Elias wants to maximize Basallo's value as a catcher.  So defensive development means as much as offensive development (Adley, 1B, DH, trades at a higher level).  Obviously, factors can shift but at low A, holistic development is the priority.

The challenge for Basallo might not be hitting but developing in the various aspects of catching.  Much harder for us plebes to value.

All that to say, I'd pleasantly shocked if he closes the season at Bowie as a catcher first prospect.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure.  For instance Ivan Rodriguez spent the entirety of his age 18 season in A+ ball.

His age 19 season was split between AA and the majors.

What?  Can of Corn with HOF comp?!  Say it ain't so!  :)  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I’m tempering any excitement after just 1 game. 

Also, it’s Delmarva. How many hot prospects have started off great there and then die off at a level or two higher?

Agreed.   So far so good.   Let's hope he's better than Jomar Reyes.   lol