Garrett Stallings 2023

luismatos4prez

Yeah, I'm starting a Garrett Stallings thread. I think he's interesting. He's 25, was acquired in the Jose Iglesias trade.

His numbers last year were horrific in the first half, but in the 2nd half (July on), he got hot and had a 3.52 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 9 K/9, 1.83 BB/9 in 69 IP in AA.

In his 2 outings this year, he's picked up where he left off. 10 IP, 7 K, 0 BB, 1.80 ERA.

Maybe he's just an org guy on a heater, but maybe he's figured something out. Of course, I only scout the stat lines, so maybe Tony or someone else can give more perspective. Reports I've read suggest he's a control guy with underwhelming stuff.

I wouldn’t even say that Stallings had a bad first half last year. He had a respectable 4.26 ERA through the end of May.  Then, he had a 5-outing stretch where he completely went off the rails, allowing 38 earned runs in just 12 innings.  Then, his problems disappeared just as suddenly as they had arrived, and he pitched to a 3.52 ERA for the rest of the year.  He allowed 83 earned runs in 119 innings on the year, and 38 of the 83 were allowed in that one disastrous 12-inning stretch.  It was bizarre.  

Good to see him begin the year with two solid outings against Akron.  

On 4/16/2023 at 10:19 PM, luismatos4prez said:

Yeah, I'm starting a Garrett Stallings thread. I think he's interesting. He's 25, was acquired in the Jose Iglesias trade.

His numbers last year were horrific in the first half, but in the 2nd half (July on), he got hot and had a 3.52 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 9 K/9, 1.83 BB/9 in 69 IP in AA.

In his 2 outings this year, he's picked up where he left off. 10 IP, 7 K, 0 BB, 1.80 ERA.

Maybe he's just an org guy on a heater, but maybe he's figured something out. Of course, I only scout the stat lines, so maybe Tony or someone else can give more perspective. Reports I've read suggest he's a control guy with underwhelming stuff.

He's never been a guy for me because he never had a major league out pitch for me.

However, it's a new year so I will give him a look again. It's hard to judge him so far since he's he's pitched twice at home, where the Bowie Baysox management embarrassingly refuses to add in a center field camera despite being a AA affiliate. 

He's got a funky delivery and the announcer in his last start did mention he hit 94 on a fastball. Looks to me after watching a few innings that he's using a change and slider as well.

Once I get a centerfield angle and velocity info I'll be able to give a better report for this year.

Plusses for him includes that he pitches quickly, and attacks hitters. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's never been a guy for me because he never had a major league out pitch for me.

However, it's a new year so I will give him a look again. It's hard to judge him so far since he's he's pitched twice at home, where the Bowie Baysox management embarrassingly refuses to add in a center field camera despite being a AA affiliate. 

He's got a funky delivery and the announcer in his last start did mention he hit 94 on a fastball. Looks to me after watching a few innings that he's using a change and slider as well.

Once I get a centerfield angle and velocity info I'll be able to give a better report for this year.

Plusses for him includes that he pitches quickly, and attacks hitters. 

Thanks Tony! Sounds like a #7-10 style spot starter like Spenser Watkins.

• 3 months later...

Pretty clear Stallings was at his best last night. He basically uses the "throw everything at them including the kitchen sink" by throwing six different pitches. Both his slider and curveball are high spin rate offerings that got 55 and 50% whiff rates respectively last night. He even had an impressive 50% whiff rate in the zone with his slider which is impressive.

I need to go back and watch the actual outing, but his statcast data was impressive. 

Screenshot (28).jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Stallings had another real good outing last night and was off the charts on WHIFF percentage getting 51% of the 45 swings he got in 85 pitches.

His cutter was a real weapon for him and when paired with his slider, I can see why he has some success with them because they have similar shape but his slider breaks more and was 83.5 MPH (AVG) while his cutter has a little less movement but comes in around 86.6 MPH AVG. Together he threw them over 50% of the time and had the Shrimp batters in knots. 

With an overall 64% of zcontact (contact in the zone) he showed the ability to miss bats in the zone with his stuff and that's always a good sign.

Now, the problem with Stallings is you never quite know who you are going to get. Do you get this guy or do you get the guy who gave up 8 ERA on 9 hits and two walks over 65 pitches while recording just 5 outs two starts before? 

Stalling stuff makes him interesting but he really needs to find consistency because right now, his prospects status is in limbo because he's just never really been consistent over a long period of time as a pro.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

And, another good game on Sept. 13: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K’s.  He’s definitely an “on or off” guy.  In his worst 8 outings, he lasted only 20 innings and yielded 44 earned runs!  But he’s also had 11 outings where he threw 63 innings and allowed 4 ER.