I’m loving our patience at the plate

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you look at the post from @Spy Foxin the Gunnar thread, you will see support for your position.  I’d still rather have Gunnar have this problem than the opposite one of swinging at too many terrible pitches.   I’m confident he’ll adjust and find the right balance.  

The second you swing at a pitch 1 inch out of the zone the pitcher counters with throwing it 2'' out of the zone. If you swing at the pitch 2'' out of the zone then you open up other weapons for the pitcher to use.  It's frustrating to see looking strike outs on such close calls, and I do concede with 2 strikes you need to swing at a hittable pitch 1/2ball off plate - a ball in play will always be more prouctive than a K over a large sample size.  I think he is playing the long game and the approach will pay dividends over a 500+ AB season and into future seasons.  He will get some cement mixers and mistakes thrown in their occasionally and he will hit them.  If he was missing at hittable pitches AND expanding the zone, I'd be worried.  I'm not worried that he will figure it out.  His skillset and his approach are elite.  

• Upvote 1