Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not ignoring Santander. I’m saying he can and should play 4-5 games a week…not everyday. It’s not like I’m saying to DFA him. I’m saying to take at bats away from him and I said the same thing in the offseason. Nothing I’m saying now wasn’t a thought for me during the offseason.

And yea, it’s no guarantee but since Santander is a negative WAR player this year and we have to prospects tearing it up, who also bring more value defensively and on the bases, I think it’s safe to assume we would be a better team.  And that is before we talk about Frazier, who has been terrible for going on 2 full calendar years.

And this is a conversation about roster management in general.  Vavra never should have gotten those at bats to begin with. That’s the whole issue.

And since you admit you don’t expect the same results vs the better teams, why would you not want improvement?

Frazier has not been terrible this year. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not ignoring Santander. I’m saying he can and should play 4-5 games a week…not everyday. It’s not like I’m saying to DFA him. I’m saying to take at bats away from him and I said the same thing in the offseason. Nothing I’m saying now wasn’t a thought for me during the offseason.

And yea, it’s no guarantee but since Santander is a negative WAR player this year and we have to prospects tearing it up, who also bring more value defensively and on the bases, I think it’s safe to assume we would be a better team.  And that is before we talk about Frazier, who has been terrible for going on 2 full calendar years.

And this is a conversation about roster management in general.  Vavra never should have gotten those at bats to begin with. That’s the whole issue.

And since you admit you don’t expect the same results vs the better teams, why would you not want improvement?

As far as the rest, I don’t think playing better teams instead of who we have been facing we will win at the same rate. 

I’m saying you can’t play everyone. I’m saying we don’t know who will be hot or not in a month never mind  3/4 months from now. There are not enough at bats to go around to please everyone. It’s not possible. The depth is too good. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

As far as the rest, I don’t think playing better teams instead of who we have been facing we will win at the same rate. 

I’m saying you can’t play everyone. I’m saying we don’t know who will be hot or not in a month never mind  3/4 months from now. There are not enough at bats to go around to please everyone. It’s not possible. The depth is too good. 

You absolutely can everyone.  That’s completely wrong. You can’t play everyone every day but I’m obviously not advocating for that. 

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You absolutely can everyone.  That’s completely wrong. You can’t play everyone every day but I’m obviously not advocating for that. 

What are you advocating for?  I don’t think Stowers is back not to play. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What are you advocating for?  I don’t think Stowers is back not to play. 

I have been very clear…Westburg, Ortiz and Stowers or Cowser integrated in this lineup…everyone playing 4-5 days a week except Frazier who gets the very rare start, is cut or whatever.

Ohearn and probably McKenna (who I prefer up here but someone has to go down and Elias won’t admit the Frazier mistake now) go down.

Several 40 man options you can do for Westburg and Cowser if needs be.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have been very clear…Westburg, Ortiz and Stowers or Cowser integrated in this lineup…everyone playing 4-5 days a week except Frazier who gets the very rare start, is cut or whatever.

Ohearn and probably McKenna (who I prefer up here but someone has to go down and Elias won’t admit the Frazier mistake now) go down.

Several 40 man options you can do for Westburg and Cowser if needs be.

Thank God you aren’t the manager.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it would be awful to get your best players lots of at bats’ as have your depth/worst players not playing.  

Aren't by spreading out bats across the roster more you're doing the exact opposite of that?

Our best players so far have been Mullins, Rutschman, Hays, and Mateo.  You're advocating for all of them getting less at bats.  

You're arguing out of both sides of your mouth.  Again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

At Norfolk? I was just going off peoples comments, but it’s not like Santander is tearing it up.

In Baltimore.  He's making Santander, even with the slow start, look like Babe Ruth.

For God's Sake, he's hitless on the year.

I like him well enough, and I want to see him get some opportunities, but just acting like he is automatically some upgrade over Santander or Hays is ridiculous.

Edit: My bad.  Looks like he singled today.  OPS up to 425.

Edited by Pickles

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Aren't by spreading out bats across the roster more you're doing the exact opposite of that?

Our best players so far have been Mullins, Rutschman, Hays, and Mateo.  You're advocating for all of them getting less at bats.  

You're arguing out of both sides of your mouth.  Again.

Well, Hays has been a good bat but his defense has cost us.  He also has had some nagging injuries and he has shown throughout his career that he can’t handle 500+ at bats. So even if you want to make the argument that taking him some now “hurts the team”, it likely makes it better long term.

As I said, Mullins would basically play everyday.  Adley shouldn’t be playing everyday.  He has shown little power the last few weeks. Obviously he plays more than most catchers should be he needs more days off.

And as I said, Mateo can play almost everyday right now. The team has been resting him on occasion and that can continue and when he cools down, he can go to playing 3-4 games a week.