Fwiw

bigbird

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be Ben Sheets maybe? My guess would be Looper though. He seems to fit our plans more, which baffles me. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Also on MLB.com's Hot Stove one of the articles says the Brewers are likely set with their rotation how it is, so they probably are not going to try to re-sign Sheets. I think he is worth taking a risk on.

Also on MLB.com's Hot Stove one of the articles says the Brewers are likely set with their rotation how it is, so they probably are not going to try to re-sign Sheets. I think he is worth taking a risk on.

There is no excuse for us not taking a risk on this guy. His injuries have been freakish and in no way have built on each other, so there really is no health issues that we should be too worried about. Even if he only gives us 170 IP, that is still 170 IP better than we'd have with Hendrickson.

Plus signing him to a 3 year deal doesn't set us back from the rebuilding process and competing. In fact, it makes us more ready to compete in 2010 and 2011 ( which is our target year).

Could be Ben Sheets maybe? My guess would be Looper though. He seems to fit our plans more, which baffles me. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Sheets and his agent met for a while with Texas yesterday. I am pretty sure that's where he's heading...

I expect us to sign Garland as his price will come down. Hopefully, his size (year) of contract will come down, like Zaun's.

PS. Thank you for the update, BB.

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this morning we're talking with 2 free agent starters and there's a very good chance one signs next week.

He also thinks Roberts extension gets done once Hudson signs.

I'm not looking for names, but are we talking legitimate starters or just more filler?

I just went on mlbtraderumors and saw this quote at the top

"Josh Fogg hopes to sign soon; possibilities may include the Rockies, Orioles, and Nationals."

I love Fogg-y, aka Dragonslayer. He was a big part of the Rockies' '07 run. But he is inconsistent and can hand out walks and big flies fairly quickly if he isn't spot on. Quality starts are not likely at OPACY, but he can get to 5 innings more often than not.

He would replace Millar as the locker room team clown.

That aside, he doesn't have the best stuff, but he really is a fierce competitor and has the short term memory it takes after a bad day to get back in the ring and swing again.

If we want a body that has experience, can win a few games and give the young guns a few months to work their way in, Fogg isn't a bad guy to have around.

-Don

There is no excuse for us not taking a risk on this guy. His injuries have been freakish and in no way have built on each other, so there really is no health issues that we should be too worried about. Even if he only gives us 170 IP, that is still 170 IP better than we'd have with Hendrickson.

Plus signing him to a 3 year deal doesn't set us back from the rebuilding process and competing. In fact, it makes us more ready to compete in 2010 and 2011 ( which is our target year).

I like Sheets a lot, but I do recall a report where the GMs who have seen the current medical charts are all nervous. Starting with the Brewers.

I agree with MLBN, he should do a one year deal, prove he is healthy and then get the bigger contract he wants next year.

-Don

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this morning we're talking with 2 free agent starters and there's a very good chance one signs next week.

He also thinks Roberts extension gets done once Hudson signs.

We have been talking to free agent starters for the last few months. Most people also think Brob will sign hear after Hudson signs.

Where is the news man?

Bass, Hennessy, Burres, Simon... anyone could be as good as Fogg in OPACY.

No thanks.

I'd rather have Lieber in a MiL deal.

Lieber would be probably have a better upside, I agree.

Fogg is just a fun player to have around, and he does love the role of the underdog. He would really get into the AL East rivalry with the Sox and Yanks and as he does every season, surprise teams with some really strong starts.

-Don

Archived