Fwiw

bigbird

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this morning we're talking with 2 free agent starters and there's a very good chance one signs next week.

He also thinks Roberts extension gets done once Hudson signs.

Good news on Roberts, btw.

Thanks bb.

Very interesting on both fronts. Listening to MacPhail yesterday, I got the sense that he definitely thought we had a good shot at extending BRob. And subject to learning what pitcher we are talking about, I'm glad Andy is hard at work there, too.

Just to add to your point, the only way around Type A compensation is to sign the player to a minor league deal.

I doubt Ben Sheets signs a minor league deal.

Based on what?

From the 2007-2011 CBA (Compensation, page 73) -

(a) The former Club of a Player who: (i) became a free agent

under this Section B; and (ii) ranks as a Type A or B Player as

defined below, shall be entitled to receive compensation subject to

the provisions of subparagraph © below. Such compensation shall

consist solely of the amateur draft choices described in subparagraph

© below and shall be awarded in the Major League Rule 4

Draft succeeding the Player’s election of free agency.

© A Type A or B Player shall be subject to compensation only

if (i) he signs a contract with another Club prior to December 1; or

(ii) he is offered salary arbitration by his former Club on or before

December 1 pursuant to Section B(3) of this Article XX and signs a

contract with another Club.

Compensation is given if the player in question "signs a contract with another Club." Nothing in it about must be a Major League contract.

I'm really willing to pass on Sheets, especially because he's going from the NL to the AL and Garland's not. Sheets' Marcel ERA projection adjusted for the AL is 4.34, as opposed to 4.23 for Garland. Not to mention Garland doesn't cost a pick, doesn't have the health questions, and is a pretty solid workhorse. I really like the idea of adding Garland and Looper, letting prospects fight for the #5 and giving the rest time in the bullpen or Norfolk, and making the playoffs :)

Guest BrettMeister86

If you look at what has now become Andy's pitching mantra (vet innings eaters who throw strikes and pitch for contact then Garland and Looper makes a lot of sense for this rotation. Looper is a strike out pitcher and Garland is a contact pitcher. Now that being said one would be good, and both would be fantastic. That leaves only one spot for a homegrown talent like Penn or Liz and I'd start with Penn to finally give him a shot in a rotation with some chance of success. One problem I see is there is NO left handers in that rotation at all unless we're going with an all vet rotation with Hendrickson in there as the sole lefty.

But let me tell you something guys:

Guthrie

Uehara

Garland/Looper/Both?

Hendrickson?

Penn/Liz

Where is our lefty???

Thats something to look forward to in regards to rotations we've seen in the past.

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this morning we're talking with 2 free agent starters and there's a very good chance one signs next week.

He also thinks Roberts extension gets done once Hudson signs.

Sorry if I missed something here but is this Tim Hudson we speak of? If so, what does him signing have to do with Roberts? Same Agents? Thanks.

Archived