Elias/Hyde need to adjust the pitching staff to win vs better teams

wildcard

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's the major point I disagree with you on.   You are advocating taking out starters even earlier than he has and putting even more stress on the bullpen (yes, you mitigate it a little with your idea of replacing a 'short man' with a 'long man' in the pen, but that doesn't do enough)  Our pen is already pitching too many innings.

Except for Grayson who may be on an innings limit, I don't think you can, or should, have a quick hook with guys.   Just hurts the bullpen too much in the long run.   Just because a guy struggles in the early innings doesn't mean he can't put it together and recover and give you a couple more innings.   If a guy is under 50 pitches and runs into an early rough patch, I think it is better to see if he can work out of it, for the good of him learning how to do that as well as for the good of the bullpen.

Sometimes he wil work out of it and give you a couple more good innings to spare the bullpen, like Lyles did for KC yesterday.   And sometimes he'll continue to get hit to the point where you HAVE to take him out.

When the latter happens, and we lose, everyone says "Hyde left him in too long" and blames the loss on that.

Well, #1, you have no idea of the long man, who is probably a failed starter, would have done any better.  #2, we might still have lost the game anyway.   And #3, there are long term benefits to letting that starter go another inning or two when it comes to bullpen overuse.

I am not trying to place blame.   I am trying to avoid the losses.   Too many short men in the pen stresses the pen.   If the O's had three men that they used as long men I think it would help the team but eating innings and win games.

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's the major point I disagree with you on.   You are advocating taking out starters even earlier than he has and putting even more stress on the bullpen (yes, you mitigate it a little with your idea of replacing a 'short man' with a 'long man' in the pen, but that doesn't do enough)  Our pen is already pitching too many innings.

Except for Grayson who may be on an innings limit, I don't think you can, or should, have a quick hook with guys.   Just hurts the bullpen too much in the long run.   Just because a guy struggles in the early innings doesn't mean he can't put it together and recover and give you a couple more innings.   If a guy is under 50 pitches and runs into an early rough patch, I think it is better to see if he can work out of it, for the good of him learning how to do that as well as for the good of the bullpen.

Sometimes he wil work out of it and give you a couple more good innings to spare the bullpen, like Lyles did for KC yesterday.   And sometimes he'll continue to get hit to the point where you HAVE to take him out.

When the latter happens, and we lose, everyone says "Hyde left him in too long" and blames the loss on that.

Well, #1, you have no idea of the long man, who is probably a failed starter, would have done any better.  #2, we might still have lost the game anyway.   And #3, there are long term benefits to letting that starter go another inning or two when it comes to bullpen overuse.

I agree with all of this.  It's a long season and you can't pull your starters at the first sign of trouble every game like you would in a postseason game.  Your bullpen would never make it through 162 managing that way. 

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I agree with all of this.  It's a long season and you can't pull your starters at the first sign of trouble every game like you would in a postseason game.  Your bullpen would never make it through 162 managing that way. 

No, no, No.    I am not saying pull a starter at the first sign of trouble.   But if the starter has given up three runs and is showing he has no control then pull him.  Giving up three runs alone is not enough.  Showing no control is alone is not enough.   Especially in Boston.

But is a normal park with normal weather if the starter gives up 3 and is not showing he can control the ball he needs to be pulled.   Not left in to try to squeeze another out from while he gives up two more runs.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd bet that someone is assigned to keep track of it, even if it is an intern or an entry level position.

They might have a social media person.   But thinking a suggestion reaches Elias is folly.    I think Elias has better things to do than take suggestions from fans seriously.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why can't Holty make the pitchers better, though?  That's what I really want to know.

I know you do.  I think he will over time.  Even if he has to change pitchers to do it.   I Cano he will.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

• wildcard changed the title to Elias/Hyde need to adjust the pitching staff to win vs better teams