Checking back on the ones who got away

Nolan McLean, James Hicks and Andrew Walters were three college Arms Elias couldn't sign from last year.

This July, it'll be the evergreen best value process, but I'll enjoy a little extra if fast moving college pitchers garner some of the picks.     The Garrett Crochet type in the middle of the first round would be the most fun.

McLean the Ohtani type at Oklahoma State as a Bat has improved his K/BB from ~2.7 to ~1.6.    On the mound, 17/6 K/BB in 13.1 innings.    The ERA is better as he hasn't coughed up a HR yet this year.

Hicks at South Carolina is 6-0 with a 2.76 ERA, but only 3rd on the team in Innings, and under a strikeout an inning, which each of the Top Two guys are doing.

Walters at Miami is mostly carbon copying his nutso 2022.    Can a college reliever be a real prospect?

If the Orioles double down on McLean or Walters, I'll think of them as in the October mix if the pitch data integrity in August-September is there.     Regular Ben McDonald college abuse caveats apply.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, Just Regular said:

Nolan McLean, James Hicks and Andrew Walters were three college Arms Elias couldn't sign from last year.

This July, it'll be the evergreen best value process, but I'll enjoy a little extra if fast moving college pitchers garner some of the picks.     The Garrett Crochet type in the middle of the first round would be the most fun.

McLean the Ohtani type at Oklahoma State as a Bat has improved his K/BB from ~2.7 to ~1.6.    On the mound, 17/6 K/BB in 13.1 innings.    The ERA is better as he hasn't coughed up a HR yet this year.

Hicks at South Carolina is 6-0 with a 2.76 ERA, but only 3rd on the team in Innings, and under a strikeout an inning, which each of the Top Two guys are doing.

Walters at Miami is mostly carbon copying his nutso 2022.    Can a college reliever be a real prospect?

If the Orioles double down on McLean or Walters, I'll think of them as in the October mix if the pitch data integrity in August-September is there.     Regular Ben McDonald college abuse caveats apply.

Greg Olson says hi

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Otter said:

Would be interesting to see if they have a chance to draft McLean at a reasonable spot, would they do it?  Would be cool to have a potential 2 way player in the system.

Nolan McLean makes Joey Gallo look like a contact hitter by comparison.  He’s not a pro hitter.