This place is unbearable after a loss

Sanfran327

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, they did get Irvin, but that hasn't worked out so far.

I've always agreed the trade market makes more sense than the FA market for a true difference maker in the rotation.  I expect them to be active in July if someone comes available.

The problem with the Irvin trade wasn’t Irvin..it was that the “big acquisition” was Gibson.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just perused the 1st and 2nd pages of the Orioles board and saw two "negative posts" one started by Roy called. "The reason this good team(Orioles) will not be a great team" and one by Frobby called, "Captain Obvious: the O’s won’t beat good teams pitching like this" so i guess I don't get where people are saying there's all this negativity or threads being started when other threads are open. maybe you can help me understand what I'm missing. 

Well there is also the thread about a cup of ice.

It’s not just negative threads..it’s threads that don’t need to be started at all (like that one) or someone highlighting a Stowers catch instead of putting it in an already started Stowers thread. 

I think this board gets bogged down too much with stuff like that and other conversations get pushed down. I get it, it’s a lot of posters and the mods, I assume because I don’t know who they are, just aren’t on the board a lot and don’t bother merging threads. It’s not a big deal but I do think it can hurt the product at times.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cano and Coloumbe are the 2 biggest ones. Hays won’t have an 840 OPS.

The pythag theorem record for this team is 20-14. To me, that is more representative of where they are as a team right now as opposed to the second best record in the AL.

They have won a lot of close games because their pen had been very good. When those 2 guys come back to earth (DC may already be doing that), how much does that change things? 

Their schedule has been pretty easy. Now it gets hard. Winning those tight games aren’t as easy vs the best teams in baseball (as we saw this weekend) as it is against Det, DC, Oak and KC

Some guys, you mention Hays, are probably putting up numbers they won't put up for 162 games, but I wouldn't say they're playing out of their heads.  The team as a whole is largely performing in-line with their abilities.

You mention the pythag record.  A 2 win difference is virtually nothing, but it's fair to point out that even if you take two wins from them they have the 3rd best record in the AL, .5 game behind the 2nd best record.

This is who this team is: Pretty good.

And yes, they had a fairly easy opening schedule, so they're not 105 wins good.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Some guys, you mention Hays, are probably putting up numbers they won't put up for 162 games, but I wouldn't say they're playing out of their heads.  The team as a whole is largely performing in-line with their abilities.

You mention the pythag record.  A 2 win difference is virtually nothing, but it's fair to point out that even if you take two wins from them they have the 3rd best record in the AL, .5 game behind the 2nd best record.

This is who this team is: Pretty good.

And yes, they had a fairly easy opening schedule, so they're not 105 wins good.

A 2 win difference is a lot at this point. 20-14 is a 95 win pace. 22-12 is a 105 win pace.

A 95 win pace sounds great..but put it in the context of the schedule and it’s not as encouraging as it sounds.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem with the Irvin trade wasn’t Irvin..it was that the “big acquisition” was Gibson.

Eh.  Gibson's been fine.

They did not go after a TOR starter.  But very few were available.

The key to making the playoffs, beat up the bad teams and play .500 against the good ones:

The Orioles record in 2023 so far:

Against .500 or better teams: 7-8 (.467)  
Against below .500 teams: 15-4 (.789)

So they've actually beat up the bad teams by a little more than 3 games to 1 and with the two losses this weekend fallen to one game below against the good teams. The Orioles are entering a 19-game stretch with .500 or better teams so going 10-9 would put them back on track to playing .500 against the good teams. 

• Upvote 1

I am not buying that the O's starting pitching will be bad this season.    Lot of times starters have a bad Aprils and improve as the weather gets better.    A 2.81 ERA by the starter vs the Braves  shows they stepped up.   

I don't think they need to trade of a starter.   The 5 they have will be good but somewhat innings limited later in the season.  That is where  Means, Hall and Irvin will be needed.    Have you seen what Rom in doing in AAA?   

I think we are going to see the O's pitching rise in the team stats over the next few months.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

The key to making the playoffs, beat up the bad teams and play .500 against the good ones:

The Orioles record in 2023 so far:

Against .500 or better teams: 7-8 (.467)  
Against below .500 teams: 15-4 (.789)

So they've actually beat up the bad teams by a little more than 3 games to 1 and with the two losses this weekend fallen to one game below against the good teams. The Orioles are entering a 19-game stretch with .500 or better teams so going 10-9 would put them back on track to playing .500 against the good teams. 

And if they get swept by the Rays at home, it will be a really tough climb back to .500 against good teams. I know one series in May doesn't make the whole season, but this thread is largely about fan confidence. They played the Braves really tough, and credit to them for that, but it might have taken a lot out of this team. Now coming back home to face an even better team? We'll see soon enough. I don't feel good about it. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well there is also the thread about a cup of ice.

It’s not just negative threads..it’s threads that don’t need to be started at all (like that one) or someone highlighting a Stowers catch instead of putting it in an already started Stowers thread. 

I think this board gets bogged down too much with stuff like that and other conversations get pushed down. I get it, it’s a lot of posters and the mods, I assume because I don’t know who they are, just aren’t on the board a lot and don’t bother merging threads. It’s not a big deal but I do think it can hurt the product at times.

You mean the thread that was basically ignored because it was ridiculous? 

I think we do a pretty damn good job of merging things but sometimes, someone wants to discuss something. The hell of catch Kyle probably slipped through since we typically want game thread comments in the game thread, but crap man, do you want perfection? 

Saying that the mods aren't around much is taking a shot at me and the other mods and I don't personally appreciate it. I frickin' work pretty damn hard behind the scenes deleting posts, having to play "moderator" to you and RZNJ when you get into you tiffs, and many othe things that you have no clue about, so sorry that we missed a Nice catch Kyle thread. You have no idea how much time goes into this behind the scenes to make this the best place to talk O's.

The "product" is as good as it's even been thank you.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not buying that the O's starting pitching will be bad this season.    Lot of times starters have a bad Aprils and improve as the weather gets better.    A 2.81 ERA by the starter vs the Braves  shows they stepped up.   

I don't think they need to trade of a starter.   The 5 they have will be good but somewhat innings limited later in the season.  That is where  Means, Hall and Irvin will be needed.    Have you seen what Rom in doing in AAA?   

I think we are going to see the O's pitching rise in the team stats over the next few months.

My guy, if you think we don't need to trade for a TOR starter because of what Drew Freaking Rom is doing in AAA, and think that's going to cut it in this league, you're absolutely delusional. Respectfully. Lol. 

Grayson Rodriguez, a veritable pitching prospect god a thousand times more heralded than Rom, is barely managing not to drown up here. Drew Rom will get beat up and his lunch money stolen, I'm sorry. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean the thread that was basically ignored because it was ridiculous? 

I think we do pretty damn good job or merging things but sometimes, someone wants to discuss something. The hell of catch Kyle probably slipped through since we typically want game thread comments in the game thread, but cap man, do you want perfection? 

Saying that the mods aren't around much is taking a shot at me and the other mods and I don't personally appreciate it. I frickin' work pretty damn hard behind the scenes deleting posts, having to play "moderator" to you and RZNJ when you get into you tiffs, so sorry that we missed a Nice catch Kyle thread. You have no idea how much time goes into this behind the scenes to make this the best place to talk O's.

The "product" is as good as it's even been thank you.

First of all Tony, if you don’t want an answer, don’t ask the question. I’m not going to lie to you.

Secondly, I don’t even know who the mods are and you have said over and over that you don’t see everything because you are busy. That’s not a shot at you. It’s an observation of what does and doesn’t happen. Again, I’m not going to lie to you if you are asking me the question.

I know you always want to take these things personal for whatever reason but you shouldn’t. It has nothing to do with you.

But it’s undeniable that threads like that push other conversations down. Not sure why that would be upsetting. It’s just true.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, interloper said:

And if they get swept by the Rays at home, it will be a really tough climb back to .500 against good teams. I know one series in May doesn't make the whole season, but this thread is largely about fan confidence. They played the Braves really tough, and credit to them for that, but it might have taken a lot out of this team. Now coming back home to face an even better team? We'll see soon enough. I don't feel good about it. 

Well that is certainly up to you with how you "feel". Could the Orioles get swept at home by the red hot Rays, sure, teams get swept all the time, but I'm more concerned with how they win or lose. The starting pitching needs to get deeper into games of the Orioles need to have a few guys they are willing to let pitch 2 - 3 innings in relief so they don't burn that pen to the ground. 

That and their weird lineups that seems to want to put an out machine like Mountcastle higher in the lineup because he happens to have some pop. He also happens to have way too many unprofessional PAs and is batting .196/.241/.333/.574 with 2 outs and has a .200 OBP with RISP. 

Mountcastle would be better in the 6th hole if this team actually went out and got the MOO that they needed this offseason.

• Upvote 1