Stowers optioned, Gillaspie up

SteveA

While I don't think 30 at bats is a fair sample size for Stowers, I think we are at a point as a team where wins are most important and we can't really afford to give regular playing time to guys who are struggling to that extent and/or keep them on the roster for extended periods if they lack a lot of position flexibility.  

Now, it would be nice if the same principles were applied to the Fraziers and McCann's of the world, but they will continue to stay on the roster and receive unwarranted playing time based on their FA deals. 

Edited by ChuckS

28 minutes ago, deward said:

His 33 AB this year have been bad, but he wasn't overmatched during his 98 AB trial last season. I don't know that anyone expects him to be a star, but I don't see anything to suggest that he can't be a solid regular if given time to acclimate. That said, with Coswer looming in the rearview mirror, unless Elias plans to trade one of Hays/Mullins/Santander, Stowers' window of opportunity is small and he certainly isn't seizing it right now.

I said he was overmatched right now at the MLB level.  I wasn't talking about last year.....right now, he doesn't seem to be able to compete, and looks Chris Davis-esque.  12  strikeouts in 30 at bats is 40%, that can't continue.  The question is, where best to work or fixing that?  It would be so much different if was at least making some consistent contact.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's not like he was hitting anything hard. Super easy call if you ask me. Ain't nobody got time for a power hitting COF who isn't hitting on a playoff team.

One can only hope that he's the next Jarred Kelenic....

Side Note:  I had to look up the spelling of Jarred with @Frobbylurking 😁

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

While I don't think 30 at bats is a fair sample size for Stowers, I think we are at a point as a team where wins are most important and we can't really afford to give regular playing time to guys who are struggling to that extent and/or keep them on the roster for extended periods if they lack a lot of position flexibility.  

Now, it would be nice if the same principles were applied to the Fraziers and McCann's of the world, but they will continue to stay on the roster and receive unwarranted playing time based on their FA deals. 

To be fair, even though they're not lighting the world on fire, Frazier and McCann do not look clueless at the plate, and are putting together decent at bats.  There is a difference....

12 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

To be fair, even though they're not lighting the world on fire, Frazier and McCann do not look clueless at the plate, and are putting together decent at bats.  There is a difference....

And are fine defensively. Overall, quite an improvement over Chirinos and Odor last season.

It’s hard to tell who is going to be able to make the jump from AAA to MLB. Stowers was hitting great at Norfolk and looks totally lost when I watch him in games. We sent Stewart down last year after he looked lost and hit over a .900 OPS at Norfolk. Diaz has been doing this dance for years now. I’m hoping Stowers doesn’t end up in the mold of Stewart and Diaz. I was excited about him 

Edited by oriole

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not that baffling.  All signs point to there not being a strong consensus within the organization regarding Stowers.   Still, if he had hit or shown something positive offensively he’d probably still be here.  Henderson is a nugget.  Stowers is not.   Eventually, we’ll see how they handle Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, etc.

Let's hope that when Cowser, Westburg and the rest finally reach the majors they are on the nugget development plan, because if Stowers is any indication, the non-nugget plan looks suspiciously like not much of a plan at all to many of us on the outside. 

That said, I think you are correct in thinking that it's been decided that Stowers doesn't deserve much more investment. 

Stowers has looked overmatched in every at bat I have seen him this season.  Can he be a solid player in the future? Maybe, based on what he did last year. He’s a young player. In my opinion and for his personal development, I hope he is in the minors the rest of the year and doesn’t get called back up to be a bench player or spot starter. Give him 400 abs at Norfolk, reset, and let him come to camp next year. 

11 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Stowers has looked overmatched in every at bat I have seen him this season.  Can he be a solid player in the future? Maybe, based on what he did last year. He’s a young player. In my opinion and for his personal development, I hope he is in the minors the rest of the year and doesn’t get called back up to be a bench player or spot starter. Give him 400 abs at Norfolk, reset, and let him come to camp next year. 

Or trade him for whatever you can get now.  At this point I think I would rather put the resources into Cowser and Kjerstad anyway.  Just give those two the time to successfully make the transition even if they get off to a rough start.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not that baffling.  All signs point to there not being a strong consensus within the organization regarding Stowers.   Still, if he had hit or shown something positive offensively he’d probably still be here.  Henderson is a nugget.  Stowers is not.   Eventually, we’ll see how they handle Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, etc.

It has to be obvious the way they treated Stowers last year and this year the team just does not hold him in high regard.  I dont think they think he is valuable enough to give a large extended chance to.  Seems weird.  I imagine if this was 2019 they would put him out there almost everyday at DH or outfield and just let him play.  Alas for him it is not 2019.  

I like Stowers, but there's no reason he should be treated any differently than Vavra or Ortiz or any of the guys that will be coming up and down this year. The folks that think he should be treated like Henderson and Adley are a bit misguided I think. I get it, but that guy is Cowser or Kjerstad, not Stowers. 

I would have liked Stowers to play more last year, and didn't love how they handled him then. But this year is very different. Hays and Santander are simply better options. O'Hearn has a lot more ML experience and makes sense as a bench guy. Stowers will be back, but the team can't afford to wait around for him to start hitting when there are other guys that might be a better fit.