Reds calling up De La Cruz

Sports Guy

Oh right, you are the guy that thinks everyone other than the middle infielders can be fat.

Did you see the triple I linked to?

Did you see that double I posted video of?

Those are not plays normal athletes can make.

I think players like Cruz and De La Cruz, if properly marketed, can lead to increased viewership of the product.

Much like Ohtani, it is more enticing to watch a game when you feel you might see something truly amazing that takes your breath away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not to slight Mateo but Cruz and De La Cruz are 6'5"-6'7", just monster athletes and are putting up huge EV numbers while playing shortstop.  They really seem like a new breed out there on the diamond.

Yeah, didn't realize just how tall both of them were. I think in the past these kind of athletes gravitated or were pushed towards football and basketball. That might still continue to be true in the future, but boy when one of them decides to concentrate on baseball the results can be pretty astounding. This board would be going crazy if De La Cruz was on the O's, me included.

Edited by FlaO'sFan

On 6/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Oh right, you are the guy that thinks everyone other than the middle infielders can be fat.

Did you see the triple I linked to?

Did you see that double I posted video of?

Those are not plays normal athletes can make.

I think players like Cruz and De La Cruz, if properly marketed, can lead to increased viewership of the product.

Much like Ohtani, it is more enticing to watch a game when you feel you might see something truly amazing that takes your breath away.

I would like to see Elly perform for a few months before judging how his tools will translate into being a good/great major leaguer.  He’s certainly been entertaining and good in his first week.  

As to Oneil, so far he’s shown flashes but hadn’t been too consistent.  He’s still young and we’ll see.  

Both could turn into perennial all stars, or they could be novelty acts.  Hope it’s the former, but it’s too soon to tell.  

On 6/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Completely agree!  I watched one of Elly's first games a few days ago with my sons.  They were itching to see him do something special.  And he didn't disappoint!

Their length adds power/leverage in the box and on the field, but it adds coordination/contact challenges too (the synapse still fire at the same speed, just have a longer distance to travel).  In today's age of transparent velos and fun metrics, WAR and OBP take a backseat for these guys!  At least in the marketing realms.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I would like to see Elly perform for a few months before judging how his tools will translate into being a good/great major leaguer.  He’s certainly been entertaining and good in his first week.  

As to Oneil, so far he’s shown flashes but hadn’t been too consistent.  He’s still young and we’ll see.  

Both could turn into perennial all stars, or they could be novelty acts.  Hope it’s the former, but it’s too soon to tell.  

Elly seems to have crushed the ball at every level, though.

Not sure what the doubts are on him, seems like a slam dunk #1 prospect in baseball and generational prospect in general. Not sure how MLB Pipeline had him at #4, can anyone explain that? 

4 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Elly seems to have crushed the ball at every level, though.

Not sure what the doubts are on him, seems like a slam dunk #1 prospect in baseball and generational prospect in general. Not sure how MLB Pipeline had him at #4, can anyone explain that? 

30% K% will do that.  The hit tool leads.  He’s carrying a 37.5% K% now.  He got a .500 Babip.  He better maintain a crazy Babip to make 37+% sustainable.  As hidden as Gunnar’s talent was early in the season, Ella’s SSS and top line stats have been as loud as his EV.

• Upvote 1

Just now, btdart20 said:

30% K% will do that.  The hit tool leads.  He’s carrying a 37.5% K% now.  He got a .500 Babip.  He better maintain a crazy Babip to make 37+% sustainable.  As hidden as Gunnar’s talent was early in the season, Ella’s SSS and top line stats have been as loud as his EV.

Bo Jackson was a baseball event and his game had huge flaws.

De La Cruz doesn't have to be a MVP contender to have an impact.

20 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Fair, I was looking for a flaw and didn't find one, but that makes sense. 27% K rate as a 21 year old at AAA doesn't seem too much of a red flag though, no? 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bo Jackson was a baseball event and his game had huge flaws.

De La Cruz doesn't have to be a MVP contender to have an impact.

I understand what you’re saying from a PR standpoint, but I’d rather have a good player than a so-so one who makes a lot of highlight reels.  

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting:

That is interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Goes to show the importance of drafting/developing.  BLA is basically a hedge firm applying portfolio market theory to prospects and their projected earning potential.  Similar type of thing we're seeing Elias and SigBot doing with their modeling.