Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

21 hours ago, deward said:

O'Hearn isn't that young, and KC gave him plenty of ABs to establish himself. He's probably not very good, just hot at the moment. 

The change of scenery thing is real. Look at the Orioles who struggled mightily and left and had good careers…..Gausman, Arrieta, need I go on?

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The change of scenery thing is real. Look at the Orioles who struggled mightily and left and had good careers…..Gausman, Arrieta, need I go on?

Bit different with pitchers, no? Also, was O'Hearn ever regarded as talented as those two (Gausman, Arrieta), whose talent was always unquestionable? 

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Bit different with pitchers, no? Also, was O'Hearn ever regarded as talented as those two (Gausman, Arrieta), whose talent was always unquestionable? 

Man... are you gonna make me figure out how to spell Yastrzemski...

• Haha 2

Cheekiness aside, I think we're talking about anomalies here with these names, and that the most likely case for O'Hearn is a regression to historical numbers. Maybe I'm wrong in pointing out the differences between him and Gausman and Arrieta but it does feel like there is something there...was O'Hearn ever considered a big talent? 

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Cheekiness aside, I think we're talking about anomalies here with these names, and that the most likely case for O'Hearn is a regression to historical numbers. Maybe I'm wrong in pointing out the differences between him and Gausman and Arrieta but it does feel like there is something there...was O'Hearn ever considered a big talent? 

I think that O'Hearn is delivering some pretty awesome performance....  as is Hicks.

But I think it's likely that he will regress to career norms... As did Mateo... and as did Frazier who were also on pretty amazing tears.

Every once in a blue moon, a player will have something click..  and become a long term powerhouse where he wasn't before. But this isn't all that common since the steroid era ended.

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

You mean this Ryan O'Hearn, who spent 5 years in KC with max 328 ABs (2019), with PT declining over the 5 years, who we got for nothing and some here want to START on a team with playoff aspirations who has this career line??????? Regression to mean as pitchers catch up tp him seems most likely.

.226 .299 .403 .702

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think that O'Hearn is delivering some pretty awesome performance....  as is Hicks.

But I think it's likely that he will regress to career norms... As did Mateo... and as did Frazier who were also on pretty amazing tears.

Every once in a blue moon, a player will have something click..  and become a long term powerhouse where he wasn't before. But this isn't all that common since the steroid era ended.

O'Hearn's got a .990 OPS in 71 PA's , I say ride the hot hand. Sorry, Mounty.

And it could end as suddenly as Mateos' dramatic regression. I dont remember Frazier's amazing tear. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

O'Hearn's got a .990 OPS in 71 PA's , I say ride the hot hand. Sorry, Mounty.

And it could end as suddenly as Mateos' dramatic regression. I dont remember Frazier's amazing tear. 

The thing about hot hands is you never know when they are going to cool off.

I think it's easy to stick with someone that was hot and is now struggling since you remember the hot.  Mateo might be an example of this.

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

You mean this Ryan O'Hearn, who spent 5 years in KC with max 328 ABs (2019), with PT declining over the 5 years, who we got for nothing and some here want to START on a team with playoff aspirations who has this career line??????? Regression to mean as pitchers catch up tp him seems most likely.

.226 .299 .403 .702

Probably true as O'Hearn only has a .736 OPS career against RHP. Not exactly eye opening, which makes me wonder what Elias saw with him. 

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+
  vs RHP 354   974 872 96 205 41 5 39 137 0 1 90 251 .235 .308 .428 .736

Just now, jabba72 said:

O'Hearn's got a .990 OPS in 71 PA's , I say ride the hot hand. Sorry, Mounty

Hard not to agree.

Frazier was hot out of the gate (carried an OPS in the mid .800s through his first 35 PA's)

Just now, jabba72 said:

Probably true as O'Hearn only has a .736 OPS career against RHP. Not exactly eye opening, which makes me wonder what Elias saw with him. 

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+
  vs RHP 354   974 872 96 205 41 5 39 137 0 1 90 251 .235 .308 .428 .736

Elias has been picking up guy with ML experience who get DFA since the start.  It's good for filling out the roster for a low price without having to reach into the prospect pool.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias has been picking up guy with ML experience who get DFA since the start.  It's for filling out the roster for a low price without having to reach into the prospect pool.

Oh ok, well its working for now.