Bowden discusses the trade deadline

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Didn't Duquette invest heavily in starting pitching with very little return? I believe Rodriguez and Hall was the last draft before Elias. First rounders the both of them. Have an estimated 90-95% chance of failing as an above average MLB starting pitcher. We've taken Adley, Kjerstad, Cowser and Holliday with top 5 picks. Which of those guys would you have liked to swapped out for an arm? Gunnar, Westburg, Norby. Haskin, Beavers all 2nd rounders. Not trying to be confrontational. But if didn't pick Holliday, Cowser, Adley, etc. then they wouldn't be Orioles. 

Yes, three first rounders in a row from Duquette in his last three drafts which included Cody Sedlock (who I think has given up on baseball). Granted, Elias would have done better in theory in picking pitchers but not sure who they could have gotten in lieu of the first round picks in the Elias era you mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Do you think there is any chance Ohtani gets traded to a contender before the deadline?

If Ohtani were made available, just about every playoff team would be vying to trade for him.  The price is going to be sky high even for 2 months.  I'm thinking multiple top 100 guys.  Someone will pay it. 

3 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

I agree completely with adding another reliever to the bullpen.

Always risky relying on rookies when you are in a playoff race. 

The goal is to be in a playoff race every year. The rookies are going to have to be part of it at some point.

For those that are insistent on getting a starter, who that is realistically available, would you be wanting the Orioles to target? Assume the truly available are as follows:

Giolito

Lynn

Flaherty 

Rodriguez

Geinke

I left Stroman, Ohtani, and Cease off because they are obvious improvements the issue is availability.  

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

If there are no good starting pitching options out there for us then I say flip one of our top prospects for a top minor league pitcher, preferably in AAA.  I know prospect for prospect trades don't happen often but teams having as many top IF prospects as we do don't happen often either.  Need to find a way to turn them into pitching and would rather a prospect than a rental.

Top pitching prospects are both an enormously valuable commodity and an enormous risk. Most teams would rather use them to try and pry a star away from another team than swap them for a position player prospect (if they're willing to trade them at all). Given how risk-averse Elias has been to now, I don't see him taking the risk of burning an asset like Cowser or Westburg in exchange for something as risky as a young pitcher. I imagine he'd rather do that for someone who has been through the fire at least a couple of times.

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Ohtani were made available, just about every playoff team would be vying to trade for him.  The price is going to be sky high even for 2 months.  I'm thinking multiple top 100 guys.  Someone will pay it. 

Multiple top 100 guys for 2 months? Really?? I don’t see how you came up with that valuation. The WAR math doesn’t add up. Even if Ohtani had a great 2 months or so what would that be 3-4 WAR? How could any team justify giving up “multiple top 100 guys” for that small return? .. I guess if you were able to go all the way to the World Series and win that would be worth it. But there is no guarantee of a title just because you have a Ohtani.

I’ve already expressed my view that speculating about deadline trades is pretty pointless until after the all star break.  I’ll only add that in general, my approach to the subject is to have zero expectation that anything will happen, and then just react when something does.   The transactions that actually occur often bear no resemblance at all to the ones that get speculated about on this board.  How much discussion was there about Gibson, Frazier or McCann before those deals happened?  None.   But there sure was a lot of discussion of other things that never occurred.  So, it’s pretty much a waste of time.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

For those that are insistent on getting a starter, who that is realistically available, would you be wanting the Orioles to target? Assume the truly available are as follows:

Giolito

Lynn

Flaherty 

Rodriguez

Geinke

I left Stroman, Ohtani, and Cease off because they are obvious improvements the issue is availability.  

Eduardo Rodriguez has been the superior pitcher to everyone on this list this season. Problem is he’s hurt. Stroman will be available and he’s the next best pitcher of those you listed for this season. 

Nothing else on that list interest me. Greinke? Lynn? Seriously? We’re actually trying to win here not get worse. 

You didn’t list Bieber for some reason. He may be worth a looksie.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve already expressed my view that speculating about deadline trades is pretty pointless until after the all star break.  I’ll only add that in general, my approach to the subject is to have zero expectation that anything will happen, and then just react when something does.   The transactions that actually occur often bear no resemblance at all to the ones that get speculated about on this board.  How much discussion was there about Gibson, Frazier or McCann before those deals happened?  None.   But there sure was a lot of discussion of other things that never occurred.  So, it’s pretty much a waste of time.  

Lots of things that are wastes of time are fun, though.

• Upvote 1

Giolito could be a nice addition, depending on the cost. Stroman could be nice, depending on the amount of Advil the team has on hand. But it's not worth holding our collective breath over them getting more than a middle-of-the-rotation rental, considering both the Elias approach and the market.

33 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Giolito

Lynn

Flaherty 

Rodriguez

Geinke

As much as I hate saying this, it wouldn't surprise me to see a reunion with Lyles as our pickup....bad stats and all.  Or, is that just me being used to what Duquette would do?!?!

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Aroldis Chapman is a hard thrower, but a bad guy. I wouldnt want him to infect my team .But thats just me. We already did the K-ROD experiment...it didnt work out.Bad guys often dont.

I agree, I don’t want him either, but people seem very willing to look the other way as long as that player is productive. There wasn’t a massive protest about Albert Belle when he hit 60 HR and drove in 220 over his two seasons here. And Delmon Young could literally slap Orioles fans in the face with money but they would still buy him a drink afterwards for his bases-clearing double in the ALDS. 

55 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Multiple top 100 guys for 2 months? Really?? I don’t see how you came up with that valuation. The WAR math doesn’t add up. Even if Ohtani had a great 2 months or so what would that be 3-4 WAR? How could any team justify giving up “multiple top 100 guys” for that small return? .. I guess if you were able to go all the way to the World Series and win that would be worth it. But there is no guarantee of a title just because you have a Ohtani.

I'm not saying that's his value, I'm saying multiple GMs and owners will want to acquire him.  If Cohen tells the Mets GM to get Ohtani, is he going to tell him that's too much to give up?