Does Mountcastle have any trade value?

DocJJ

On 6/13/2023 at 8:43 PM, Baltimorecuse said:

Everything is a construct of a person's mind.  

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”

Marcus Aurelius

If you ever get hit by a bus, you might change your mind about that...

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, baltfan said:

I think this is the most frustrating part for Elias.  He had two players in Mountcastle and Mateo who had trade value coming into the season.  He likely thought this season would be a little bit of a step back and the cavalry would be ready.  He would then move Mountcastle and Mateo in the fall.  Things haven't quite gone according to plan.  While that is good from a record perspective, I am sure it is frustrating that you have two guys whose value has substantially decreased.  That's why it is likely that they are kept around in the hopes that they can help in the postseason or maybe actually start playing better.  I suspect they will both be traded by fall.  

O's will keep Mateo. The guy has too much speed to give up on. Mountcastle on the other hand has become Mark Trumbo and guys like that don't fit into Elias's vision. O'Hearn is doing well in the small sample that we've seen him. With the shift removed he could do well. Plus, Kjerstad and Cowser are coming up. I bet Santander gets traded in the off season because he becomes a FA in 2025 and Mountcastle gets DFA'd refusing to go and becomes a free agent. Holliday is going to hit the show in 2024/2025 also. That means Hays, Mullins & Cowser in the outfield and Henderson, Holliday, Mateo and Kjerstad become the infield with O'Hearn as DH. We lose Mullins in 2026 to FA then Holliday will move to the lead off. Holliday, Coswer, Rutschman, Kjerstad are going to be a scary top four of the lineup for a good 5 years. 

34 minutes ago, upinflamezzz said:

O's will keep Mateo. The guy has too much speed to give up on. Mountcastle on the other hand has become Mark Trumbo and guys like that don't fit into Elias's vision. O'Hearn is doing well in the small sample that we've seen him. With the shift removed he could do well. Plus, Kjerstad and Cowser are coming up. I bet Santander gets traded in the off season because he becomes a FA in 2025 and Mountcastle gets DFA'd refusing to go and becomes a free agent. Holliday is going to hit the show in 2024/2025 also. That means Hays, Mullins & Cowser in the outfield and Henderson, Holliday, Mateo and Kjerstad become the infield with O'Hearn as DH. We lose Mullins in 2026 to FA then Holliday will move to the lead off. Holliday, Coswer, Rutschman, Kjerstad are going to be a scary top four of the lineup for a good 5 years. 

So I guess you think Westburg and Ortiz are either traded or coming off the bench.  There is a risk Cowser is a platoon outfielder.  The line on him is not only does he not hit lefties well but he struggles with offspeed stuff too.  It's not a sure thing about all these all these guys make it as everyday players.  Cowser and one or two of the others might be trade bait for starting pitching.

At this point I hope the O's try to extend Mullins.  He's arguably the best overall player on the team and with some luck might not cost an arm and a leg to extend.

45 minutes ago, upinflamezzz said:

Speed is not a reason to keep a player. His skill set (zero patience, bad approach) is the opposite of everyone Elias and co have drafted.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Speed is not a reason to keep a player. His skill set (zero patience, bad approach) is the opposite of everyone Elias and co have drafted.

Exactly. Being able to hit a baseball is far more important than speed, and Mateo can't hit. If speed mattered as much as that poster claimed, Billy Hamilton would have lasted longer as a starting MLB outfielder.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, DocJJ said:

Maybe package him with DL Hall for someone?

I think he could be an interesting pot sweetener. For example, if the Cards do indeed go into sell mode, he could be an interesting third component of a deal for Goldy, for example. Would give them a guy with potential remaining already at the MLB level to backfill the position being vacated (more controllable years, much lower cost, at worst keeps the spot warm vs. immediately calling someone up).

Again, certainly not the headliner of the deal, but perhaps an interesting piece that another team may think could use a change of scenery and might tip the scales when evaluating prospect packages.

18 hours ago, casadeozo said:

Jorge could potentially be a useful piece as the 24th or 25th man, between his defense and his ability to steal bases nearly at will. While I certainly don't think he should start, I can easily envision a "rest of 2023" where he comes off the bench for the O's. I don't think him getting sent packing is any kind of sure thing.

There just isn’t pleasing some of you. Jorge may never be .300 hitter but he’s coming out of his slump a bit, plays good defense and still steals bases. 

I will take him over Ortiz who has shown to be overmatched so far. It’s one thing for Ortiz to struggle a bit but a 28% strikeout ratio isn’t too good. A rotation of Mateo, Frazier, Urias and Gunnar is just fine to me. 

Can’t we wait till next year to see how things play out and who should potentially replace him. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Os4days said:

There just isn’t pleasing some of you. Jorge may never be .300 hitter but he’s coming out of his slump a bit, plays good defense and still steals bases. 

I will take him over Ortiz who has shown to be overmatched so far. It’s one thing for Ortiz to struggle a bit but a 28% strikeout ratio isn’t too good. A rotation of Mateo, Frazier, Urias and Gunnar is just fine to me. 

Can’t we wait till next year to see how things play out and who should potentially replace him. 

I THINK Ortiz is getting his audition now.  We've got more infielders than places to put them, unless Mateo and Frazier are done.