Mullins and Mountcastle back soon?

Sports Guy

Will be interesting to see who goes down when they come back.  I think Lester will obviously be the first to go down.  I think the second decision has to be between Ortiz and Mckenna.  To me the decision is easy, McKenna goes down, but who knows.

I figure they are back for the homestand, assuming all goes well.

Hicks has likely cemented himself as a player to stay on the roster, at least for the foreseeable future but with the lack of a third real OFer, I think McKenna could stay at your 4th OFer.

Ortiz is likely the guy to go down.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hicks has likely cemented himself as a player to stay on the roster, at least for the foreseeable future but with the lack of a third real OFer, I think McKenna could stay at your 4th OFer.

I know Santander has some limitations defensively and is likely to be supplanted fairly soon defensively by Cowser, but I think the Orioles still consider him a "real outfielder". You have Mullins, Hays, Hicks and Santander with Frazier and O'Hearn able to play corner spots if absolutely needed which seems to make McKenna the likely odd man out to me. If the Orioles preferred McKenna to Santander in the OF, he would be getting more at bats in that role, which makes him at best the 5th outfielder.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander and Frazier can play the OF.  I agree with you that I think Ortiz likely goes down but I think its a better roster with Ortiz over McKenna.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

But Hyde would not, is the thing. 

I don't disagree with you, just stating my personal thougths. IMO McKenna is what he is, I think Ortiz can be more than that and I am ready to see him have a chance.  Whatever McKennas role was is Hicks when Mullins returns.

I can't see McKenna at all.  If we're serious about a playoff run he adds zero.  I don't see anyway he makes the team next year so if we're looking to next year what does he bring?  He's  a rally killer now with a very doubtful future.  

Ortiz hasn't shown anything either but now is the time to find out.