Photo of Grich, DeCinces & Lynn @ Angels game.

JimGinSP

Don’t have a point of reference, but I believe Weaver was opposed to trading DeCinces because he thought Cal could play shortstop.  They never did find a long-term 3B to pair with Cal.

I always wondered if the decline of the mid-80’s would’ve been avoided had they kept DeCinces and Dennis Martinez and focused on improving the OF defense.  

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2023 at 9:59 PM, oriolediehard said:

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/june-22-1979-orioles-magic-is-born/

Does anybody remember the June 22 1979 game when Oriole Magic was born?? The game walk off HR by Doug DeCinces????

Oh yes, remember it well.

I was 14, a couple friends had come over that afternoon and we were kicking a soccer ball around my back yard.  One of my friends brought something alcoholic (maybe Boone's farm or something, LOL?) and we took a couple drinks.   My parents caught us, I was punished by being forced to go to bed early that night (it was a Friday) and my radio was taken away so I couldn't listen to the Oriole game.

But of course I had a backup radio that my parents didn't know about, so I listened to the game with the radio under the covers with the radio pressed up against my ear with the volume really low.   It was damn hard not to make a lot of noise when the game winning HR went over the fence.

And the next morning, the WFBR morning DJ was playing the highlight over and over again, putting it to music (I believe "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by BTO, with the song being interrupted at variosu points to play the dramatic radio highlights.   It was the precursor to what today would be called a hype video, though it was only audio.