Photo of Grich, DeCinces & Lynn @ Angels game.

JimGinSP

You could make a pretty good all star team out of guys who happened to wear both an Oriole and Angel uniform in their career...just off the top of my head:

• Grich
  • Lynn
  • DeCinces
  • Dan Ford
  • Don Baylor
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Mark McLemore
  • Dylan Bundy
  • Don Aase
  • Rex Hudler
  • Francisco Rodriguez
  • Vladimir Guerrero
  • Joe Saunders
  • Mark Trumbo

Lacks a catcher, and the pitching could use some improvement.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

You could make a pretty good all star team out of guys who happened to wear both an Oriole and Angel uniform in their career...just off the top of my head:

• Grich
  • Lynn
  • DeCinces
  • Dan Ford
  • Don Baylor
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Mark McLemore
  • Dylan Bundy
  • Don Aase
  • Rex Hudler
  • Francisco Rodriguez
  • Vladimir Guerrero
  • Joe Saunders
  • Mark Trumbo

I think the infamous Anthony Bemboom as your C.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

• Grich
  • Lynn
  • DeCinces
  • Dan Ford
  • Don Baylor
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Mark McLemore
  • Dylan Bundy
  • Don Aase
  • Rex Hudler
  • Francisco Rodriguez
  • Vladimir Guerrero
  • Joe Saunders
  • Mark Trumbo

Rudy May was a long-time Angel southpaw who came to the O's in the big 1976 trade w the Yankees* and won 18 games for us in 1977. He pitched to the age of 38 and had some fine late-career seasons. Hit zero home runs in 383 career PA, but did walk 22 times!

*June 1976: May, Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Scott McGregor & Dave Pagan to the Orioles for Doyle Alexander, Jimmy Freeman, Elrod Hendricks, Ken Holtzman & Grant Jackson.

Dec. 1977: Traded by the  Orioles w/ Randy Miller & Bryn Smith to the Expos for Joe Kerrigan, Gary Roenicke & Don Stanhouse.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

• Grich
  • Lynn
  • DeCinces
  • Dan Ford
  • Don Baylor
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Mark McLemore
  • Dylan Bundy
  • Don Aase
  • Rex Hudler
  • Francisco Rodriguez
  • Vladimir Guerrero
  • Joe Saunders
  • Mark Trumbo

I can only add Dave Skaggs and Billy Smith off the top of my head. Baseball Reference, here I come.

• Upvote 1

Just remembered another Oriole Angel : the outfielder Larry Harlow. Looking up his stats, I realize that even though I always thought of him as purely a defensively-oriented 4th outfielder (specifically CF), he actually had years of impressive OBP, evening out to a career .343 with 156 BB in 1268 PA.

Harlow might have been one of the "fleas" that the Earl griped was constantly getting thrown out or picked off trying to steal bases: the one year he was a frequent starter for the O's (1978) he had only 14 SB in 25 attempts.

Was traded to the Angels mid-season 1979 for Floyd Rayford and cash, got a lot of starts in 1980 (.276 / .376 / .385  [.761, 113+]), but was out of big-league ball after one more season at the age of 29. I presume he just didn't hit for enough power or BA.

He was graceful in CF, but after years of Paul Blair and Al Bumbry, I had come to expect both that, speed, and a dangerous bat.

Edited by LA2

Some Stars:

• FRANK ROBINSON! (Forgot that)
  • Eddie Murray
  • Hoyt Wilhelm
  • Mike Cuellar
  • Fernando Valenzuela
  • Harold Reynolds
  • Lee Smith
  • Steve Finley

A catcher: Sal Fasano

Players who sparkled on occasion:

Bob Turley, Aurelio Rodriguez, (should have remembered this one!), Curt Motton, Tommy Harper, Tommy Davis, Paul Hartzell, Dick Drago, Dyar Miller, Merv Rettenmund, Larry Harlow, Todd Cruz, Rick Burleson, Juan Beniquez, Jesse Jefferson, Luis Polonia, Rick Schu, Mark Eichhorn, Rene Gonzales, Dwight Smith, John Habyan, Shawn Boskie, Jason Grimsley, Todd Frohwirth, Brad Pennington, Kent Mercker, Kevin Gregg, Gary Matthews Jr, Darren O'Day, LaTroy Hawkins, Alex Cobb, Andrew Velazquez, Wade LeBlanc, Rich Hill, Craig Gentry, Bud Norris, Jim Johnson, Parker Bridwell, Oliver Drake, Jahmai Jones, Jose Iglesias, Jonathan Villar, Cesar Valdez, Brett Phillips.

• Upvote 1

Another forgotten outfielder had a total of 35 games with the Angels (age 18-21 seasons), was traded to the Orioles for the faded veteran Norm Siebern in December 1965, but then only a week later, still during the off-season, was included in the momentous trade for Frank Robinson: Dick Simpson. The one season he played a good number of games was 1968 with the Astros: 202 PA to the weak tune of .186 / .282 / .299 (.582, 78+).

Simpson must have been someone with significant potential (he had some monster minor league seasons) because I see that he had a history of being traded either one-up or as half of a package for considerably more accomplished players (Alex Johnson, Dooley Womack, Ron Davis, Bobby Bolin). He can certainly always be proud of being the sole outfielder included in the trade for a Hall of Fame one in his prime, although in that particular case he was one of three players going over--and the one with the weakest career. But he was still only 21 yrs old at the time and coming off a PCL AAA season where he had slashed .301 / .380 / .523 (.902) with 24 HR, 12 triples, and 29 stolen bases.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

Albie Pearson was selected by the Angels off the Orioles roster in the 1960 expansion draft.  Shortest MLB player at the time at 5'5".  He passed away earlier this year.

Good addendum--I remember having his Angels baseball card. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.