MLB Pipeline mock draft

MLB Pipeline 2023 mock draft June 22

This one's by Jonathan Mayo.  He mixes it up and has Skenes 1.1 and Crews 1.2. 

He has the O's taking RHP Hurston Waldrep at 1.17.  Passing on a few hitters previously discussed: Miller, Schanuel, Bradfield, Eldridge.

17. Orioles: Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida (No. 20)
The Orioles are looking at a variety of possibilities here and with Waldrep’s postseason performance, the Gators’ starter could be gone by now. They could also consider college hitters like Troy and Florida Atlantic’s Nolan Schanuel or high school bats like Eldridge or catcher Blake Mitchell.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

If Shaw is available I can’t see them passing on his hit tool.  I will be floored if they go pitcher in rounds 1-4.   

Shaw reminds me so much of Norby.  Maybe it's that frame of reference that makes me think they'll pick someone with more upside potential.  

36 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Shaw reminds me so much of Norby.  Maybe it's that frame of reference that makes me think they'll pick someone with more upside potential.  

Given Shaw v. Nimala I’d take the kid.  Shawn’s hit tool makes his floor pretty high, IMO.  I agree the NCAA stat line is remarkably similar.  Norby is another second  half scorcher away from getting some press.  I think he’s better than his stats have indicated so far this year. 

I’ll admit t on being Shaw fanboy having gone to a half dozen UMD games this year.  I just really like the kid.  

I'm rooting for a  Nolan Schanuel pick. He fits the O's recent draft profile. LHH college bat with good power, hit tool and zone discipline. Also, I coached him during the summer of 2021 with the Bethesda Big Train summer team. Great kid, great mentality and great work ethic. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/37914283/2023-mlb-mock-draft-kiley-mcdaniel-predicts-top-picks

Kiley has the Os taking Waldrep too.

We know they heavily scouted Fabian, so you have to wonder if Waldrep was another guy they have had on their radar.

Perhaps the new strategy is to pick pitchers from desirable programs with crappy development programs.  I personally would look for Stetson pitchers - deGrom, Kluber, and now Logan Gilbert.  What other program has that kind of recent record?  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, baltfan said:

Perhaps the new strategy is to pick pitchers from desirable programs with crappy development programs.  I personally would look for Stetson pitchers - deGrom, Kluber, and now Logan Gilbert.  What other program has that kind of recent record?  

Ttrimper and his staff came in 2016 only Gilbert played in the current system. On a local note, Gilbert played summer ball for the Bethesda Big Train in the Cal Ripken Sr. league in 2016. 

• Upvote 2