Do you trust Elias at the Deadline?

lifelongbirdfan

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

We don't have much info to go on for Elias' trading rating.  Early results are promising with players like Cano and Povich coming back.  Was Bradish an Elias trade?  This is in contrast to DD's trades where the O's got the short end of the stick on every trade.

He got Bradish for Bundy.  Didn't get much of note for Cobb, Iglesias or Villar.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

We don't have much info to go on for Elias' trading rating.  Early results are promising with players like Cano and Povich coming back.  Was Bradish an Elias trade?  This is in contrast to DD's trades where the O's got the short end of the stick on every trade.

DD operated with better teams that had different motives and even different ownership and had Buck to contend with.  It’s a completely unfair comp.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:01 PM, lifelongbirdfan said:

I didn’t trust Duquette. For as successful as DD was, the trade deadline was not his forte.

When buying, he gave up Josh Hader, Eduardo Rodriquez, even Jonah Heim. When selling, his deals for Gausman and Machado turned up as duds.

My point is that trades with prospects involved are a crapshoot, but the O’s don’t have a great track record.  This is what concerns me about grow the bats, buy the arms… Are we actually going to be able to buy arms?

While Elias was aggressive and did very well dumping Mancini and Lopez, I think he’s going to be gun-shy as a buyer at this deadline. Like he was in Free Agency, he assigns a value and sticks with it, even if the market says otherwise. Elias was too disciplined for his own good and we got left with nothing because he wasn’t willing to overpay.  Just like free agency, there’s risk involved and some bad options with only a few good ones mixed in. We can’t afford to be wrong but can’t afford to just sit back and watch.

Considered pitchers that I’m glad we didn’t get: Degrom, Rodon, Thor, Quintana, Taillon, KLuber,

Considered pitchers that I wish we had:  Eovaldi, Wacha, Eflin

So yes, there are more bad deals than good ones, so Elias can say he avoided a mistake, but we also didn't have a chance at a starter either.  With more buyers than sellers, prices will be high and I don’t trust Elias as a buyer because I don't think he'll pull the trigger. But if I he does get aggressive, I think he'll be more successful than DD was. What do you think?

"..... he assigns a value and sticks with it, even if the market says otherwise. Elias was too disciplined for his own good and we got left with nothing because he wasn’t willing to overpay...."  That sounds like a good thing to me. ............. ?

2 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

"..... he assigns a value and sticks with it, even if the market says otherwise. Elias was too disciplined for his own good and we got left with nothing because he wasn’t willing to overpay...."  That sounds like a good thing to me. ............. ?

Overpay by his market evaluation.

If I need a car and I'm only willing to spend five grand and the market is higher than that I can pride myself on not overpaying...as I walk to work.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Overpay by his market evaluation.

If I need a car and I'm only willing to spend five grand and the market is higher than that I can pride myself on not overpaying...as I walk to work.

..and when you can't make the payments on that new old car, then you have it repossessed, lost the money you paid for it and are still walking to work.. ....... Oh, and your credit stinks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 2001OriolesFan said:

..and when you can't make the payments on that new old car, then you have it repossessed, lost the money you paid for it and are still walking to work.. ....... Oh, and your credit stinks.

Except I have the money in the account.  Everyone knows I made 50 grand last year and only had 30 grand in expenses.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Was Bradish an Elias trade?  This is in contrast to DD's trades where the O's got the short end of the stick on every trade.

He got Bradish and Brnovich. Elias is still high on Brnovich in spite of the long injury that Brnovich is finally getting to return from. 

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He got Bradish and Brnovich. Elias is still high on Brnovich in spite of the long injury that Brnovich is finally getting to return from. 

Brnovich is 25 and has 108 career IP despite being drafted in 2019.  It's cool that Elias remembered his name but I'm not holding my breath.

While we all agree on not trusting Angelos owners, that wasn't the question.

I think where I've landed is that I do trust the trades that Elias DOES make.  Just like in free agency, everything is measured and calculated and I trust that he won't make stupid moves.  And at last year's deadlines, the moves he made were solid, even spectacular.

The only question in my mind is whether he'll make the right decision to pull the trigger on something that is a slight overpay due to the market.   I'm not talking about the stupid money that would handcuff the franchise... I'm talking the extra year or extra $ for a guy like Eovaldi or Bassit.  While Elias may have been correct in his risk assessment, the result is that you don't have a starter.  I think that was ok in a year like this year as we are approaching serious contention. 

But either this deadline or offseason, he is going to need to go past what is a comfortable, easy decision and make a calculated risk to go for it. Not mortgage the future, but go for it. He has proven himself in all other areas so I am hopeful. But until we add a legitimate starting pitcher, I will still have slight reservations.

I think he's waiting for the right timing because of the ownership limitations, he knows he only has a couple opportunities to push the "override the plan" button and so he is waiting for the right moment. I think we misunderstood the liftoff comments... I think he now has the button on the table but still isn't going to push it until he's good and ready. So I guess I do trust him because he's proven himself trustworthy so far!

• Upvote 2

Coming into the season there were many pundits expressing how our FO failed this offseason because they essentially stayed pat. Now, once again, he is laughing at the neigh-sayers. I trust that he won't mortage our future for some name brand player(s). He has gotten us this far, #1 Farm system, how can you not trust him?

Just now, Fan4Life said:

Coming into the season there were many pundits expressing how our FO failed this offseason because they essentially stayed pat. Now, once again, he is laughing at the neigh-sayers. I trust that he won't mortage our future for some name brand player(s). He has gotten us this far, #1 Farm system, how can you not trust him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUBygjDTTBQlUb-VPAxAZ

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I was told last night that Elias' ego was a big character flaw which holds him back from making the right moves. With one of the smallest payrolls in baseball he's got the third best record.  I don't know many Execs that are humble.  

What?

Huh?

I was making a joke about them saying neigh instead of nay.

I swear some folks really go out of their way to try and argue with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1