5. Westburg 2B/3B

6. Basallo C*

7. Povich LHP

8. Norby 2B/OF

9. Fabian CF

10. McDermott RHP

Just missed: Prieto, Willems, Hall, Beavers, Haskin

No Ortiz?  What are the * for?

So, assuming Bradfield signs, where would you start him in the organization prospect rankings? For me, it’s an interesting question because of the hit tool concerns.

1. Holliday

2. Cowser

3. Kjerstad

4. Mayo

5. Westburg 

6. Ortiz

7. Basallo

8. Bradfield

9. Povich

10. Norby

Next: Fabian, McDermott, Prieto, Willems, Horvath, Beavers, Hall, Haskin, Armbruester and Wagner. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

So, assuming Bradfield signs, where would you start him in the organization prospect rankings? For me, it’s an interesting question because of the hit tool concerns.

1. Holliday

2. Cowser

3. Kjerstad

4. Mayo

5. Westburg 

6. Ortiz

7. Basallo

8. Bradfield

9. Povich

10. Norby

Next: Fabian, McDermott, Prieto, Willems, Horvath, Beavers, Hall, Haskin, Armbruester and Wagner. 

It's tough to go much higher than 8.  If proximity is a factor, maybe could bump Basallo.  If depth concerns are a factor, then maybe he could bump a Westburg/Ortiz.  

On 7/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, btdart20 said:

Tier 1: Holliday

Tier 2:  Cowser, Mayo, Basallo, Ortiz

Tier 3: Westburg, Kjerstad, McDermott, Povich, Fabian

I'd probably have him in tier 3 now with Fabian.  But there's tier 2 upside for sure (like with Kjerstad and Povich).

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

1. Holliday

2. Cowser

3. Kjerstad

4. Mayo

5. Westburg 

6. Ortiz

7. Basallo

8. Bradfield

9. Povich

10. Norby

Anywhere from 8-12 is reasonable imo. 

I would probably slot him 9th, behind Fabian and ahead of Willems. Norby moves to 11 followed by McDermott and Povich.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

1. Holliday

2. Cowser

3. Kjerstad

4. Mayo

5. Westburg 

6. Ortiz

7. Basallo

8. Bradfield

9. Povich

10. Norby

I see it like this as well. It will be very interesting to see where all these pitchers from the 2023 draft end up this time next year. It would be very nice to see a bit more pitcher/hitter balance in our top 10.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I see it like this as well. It will be very interesting to see where all these pitchers from the 2023 draft end up this time next year. It would be very nice to see a bit more pitcher/hitter balance in our top 10.

Agreed. The criticism they have been getting in how they have developed pitchers, so far, has some merit. They have spent some higher picks for more premium arm talent with Baumeister, Lord and Wells. So let’s see what they can do with these upside college guys. At some point, we need to see that they can develop pitching as well.

That said, I think Lord’s story really excites me and shows great aptitude. I look for him to be a quicker rise than the other arms in this draft. The Bright and Showalter from 2022 gives me some hope as well. 

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

For all of the hit concerns regarding Bradfield, it sounds like he has bat speed and plate discipline and wiry, athletic, quick twitch reactions.   Sounds like a lot to work with to me.

I agree that he has the superior athleticism. Until he makes those changes, the concerns will knock him down. He’ll undoubtedly get stronger and make some great adjustments. I like that he is eager to make adjustments and learn. He has shown aptitude at Vandy, and he seems like a very bright young student of the game. I like his chances of being a much better hitter, with gap to gap power. I saw a Juan Pierre comp from one of the MLB Network pundits, but I think it’s closer to the Kenny Lofton comps as a hitter as a finished product. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

For all of the hit concerns regarding Bradfield, it sounds like he has bat speed and plate discipline and wiry, athletic, quick twitch reactions.   Sounds like a lot to work with to me.

Without knowing much about him, my instant reaction at the pick was "oh man, speed/defense guy, he's gonna be a low-OBP guy", but of course it turns out the O's picked a speed/defense guy with strike zone awareness and good swing decisions. That instantly put me at ease knowing their success with guys like that.