O's tied with Rays in the "All Important Loss Column".

wildcard

I admit it.  I check the scores around the league every night.  I check the standings every night starting after Game 1.  I check the minor league boxscores for the four full season teams every night.  Don't care about minor league wins and losses, but I like to see how the prospects did.

My name is NCRaven and I'm a ballaholic.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hmmmm.

Means, Bradish, Givens, Tate, Perez, Hall, Akin, Voth, Watkins, Johnson, Mullins, Mountcastle, Urias, McCann, Hays twice, 

At the end of the year I’ll probably tally up all the injuries, but I’d still say we’ve been pretty lucky.  We knew Means was out for the first half and that Johnson might not pitch at all this year, so I don’t consider those to be part of 2023 “injury luck,” they were baked in when the team was being assembled last winter.   The only other injury to a starting pitcher was Bradish, who missed two starts and had a third one cut short after getting hit in the leg with a line drive.   Look around the league and you’ll see that most teams have had it much worse with their rotation.  The bullpen has been more of an issue, especially Tate and Givens.  As to the position players, nobody’s missed more than 3-4 weeks.  All in all, I’d be very pleased if we had a similar health record in the second half.  

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At the end of the year I’ll probably tally up all the injuries, but I’d still say we’ve been pretty lucky.  We knew Means was out for the first half and that Johnson might not pitch at all this year, so I don’t consider those to be part of 2023 “injury luck,” they were baked in when the team was being assembled last winter.   The only other injury to a starting pitcher was Bradish, who missed two starts and had a third one cut short after getting hit in the leg with a line drive.   Look around the league and you’ll see that most teams have had it much worse with their rotation.  The bullpen has been more of an issue, especially Tate and Givens.  As to the position players, nobody’s missed more than 3-4 weeks.  All in all, I’d be very pleased if we had a similar health record in the second half.  

Way off in my view.   Means injury extended.  He would be pitching right now if not for the second injury.  Hall: had he not injured his back could be an impact pitcher either as a starter or reliever.  Watkins started 20 games for the O's last year with a starter ERA 4.17.  That would be #3 starter if he did that this year instead of cutting his finger. Voth started 17 games and had a 3.04 ERA.  That is a better ERA than any O's starter this season. Actually we could include GRod in this group.   By OD he had not recovered and pitched like he did before the lat injury.

And since when is losing Mullins for 3 or 4 weeks a small thing to a contender?

Tate and Givens were in the plan to have big years in middle relief.

The O's lost a lot with injuries this year.

Edited by wildcard
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Way off in my view.   Means injury extended.  He would be pitching right now if not for the second injury.  Hall: had he not injured his back could be an impact pitcher either as a starter or reliever.  Watkins started 20 games for the O's last year with a starter ERA 4.17.  That would be #3 starter if he did that this year instead of cutting his finger. Voth started 17 games and had a 3.04 ERA.  That is a better ERA than any O's starter this season. Actually we could include GRod in this group.   By OD he had not recovered and pitched like he did before the lat injury.

And since when is losing Mullins for 3 or 4 weeks a small thing to a contender?

Tate and Givens were in the plan to have big years in middle relief.

The O's lost a lot with injuries this year.

Your view, as ever, is in the clouds. You’re talking about Spenser freaking Watkins, man.

45 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Your view, as ever, is in the clouds. You’re talking about Spenser freaking Watkins, man.

Who last year outpitches 3/5s of this years rotation for 20 starts.

Your comment is like saying we talking about Yennier freaking Cano.   He has never done anything before and he is 29 years old.

Edited by wildcard
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who last year outpitches 3/5s of this years rotation for 20 starts.

Your comment is like saying we talking about Yennier freaking Cano.   He has never done anything before and he is 29 years old.

It is 2023. Not 2022. Watkins isn’t even spare parts. They gave him away. Do not call him a vital piece that got hurt. 

This team has been incredibly fortunate with its health. To think otherwise is lunacy.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It is 2023. Not 2022. Watkins isn’t even spare parts. They gave him away. Do not call him a vital piece that got hurt. 

This team has been incredibly fortunate with its health. To think otherwise is lunacy.

Watkins cut his finger and has not recovered.  If he stayed healthy and pitched like he did in 2022 the O's may not even be talking about trading for pitching at the deadline.    Same can be said for Voth.

If any of Means, Watkins and Voth were healthy and pitching well the O's may not be talking about trading for pitching.   Same with Givens, Perez and Tate.   So injuries have played a big role in the O's trading for pitching at the deadline.

Edited by wildcard

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Watkins cut his finger and has not recovered.  If he stayed healthy and pitched like he did in 2022 the O's may not even be talking about trading for pitching at the deadline.    Same can be said for Voth.

If any of Means, Watkins and Voth were healthy and pitching well the O's may not be talking about trading for pitching.   Same with Givens, Perez and Tate.   So injuries have played a big role in the O's trading for pitching at the deadline.

Go Wildcard! Your belief in Watkins, Voth, Givens, Cionel and Tate is admirable and touching! 😂 Tbh the way Cano, Hicks and O'Hearn have worked out for the O's leads me to think yr faith may not be completely unwarranted!

Compared to the teams we are competing with (looking especially at you, NYY) the O's have been incredibly fortunate with injuries.

While I think wildcard's take is pretty far in the clouds, I do think it might be worth exploring our good 'fortune' from a different angle.  I wonder if Elias / Sig and crew may have figured a way to minimize injuries a bit...at least for pitchers.   Melewski's piece the other day about how pitchers rarely go over 100 pitches anymore got me thinking on that a bit.  

Hyde does pull the plug pretty quickly on starters.  We complain about how much it overexposes the bullpen....but maybe it has really benefited the health of the starters?

• Upvote 1