Update on the lease negotiations

Going Underground

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

One dirty hand in another.

Don't overlook the politics of all this.  Disgustingly corrupt.

These negotiations are with the state,supposedly the Maryland Stadium Authority. The new governor has seemed to be heavily involved for his own political reasons.  The money for the stadiums if a lease was signed was signed into law before he was governor. Mayor Scott is not heavily involved with these negotiations.  I know when we got almost all private money for the refurbishment of the Arena that agencies of the city  and work with the city were heavily involved .

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course. It’s a bunch of politicians/powerful figures just stealing money and trying to figure out how to do it to where we don’t realize it.

They are saying, you need to do X for us to sign. Just sign. You aren’t going anywhere. No one will approve you to move the team because they hate you.

I mean the hate is real but it goes beyond that.

They also don't want the hassle of dealing with the fallout of Baltimore losing a team and OPACY being empty.

They also want to get that sweet expansion money and yet another team possibly moving would slow that money train down.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course. It’s a bunch of politicians/powerful figures just stealing money and trying to figure out how to do it to where we don’t realize it.

They are saying, you need to do X for us to sign. Just sign. You aren’t going anywhere. No one will approve you to move the team because they hate you.

The negotiation is more about how they get to divvy up the 600 million dollars of taxpayer money.  Which "friendly" businesses get the contracts, and how and how much they will kick back to which politicians.  It's a money laundering operation.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

These negotiations are with the state,supposedly the Maryland Stadium Authority. The new governor has seemed to be heavily involved for his own political reasons.  The money for the stadiums if a lease was signed was signed into law before he was governor. Mayor Scott is not heavily involved with these negotiations.  I know when we got almost all private money for the refurbishment of the Arena that agencies of the city  and work with the city were heavily involved .

By his "own political reasons" you mean his cut of the taxpayer money.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

The negotiation is more about how they get to divvy up the 600 million dollars of taxpayer money.  Which "friendly" businesses get the contracts, and how and how much they will kick back to which politicians.  It's a money laundering operation.

The last line is a perfect way of explaining what is going on.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The last line is a perfect way of explaining what is going on.

I've come to realize that the more and more of government, and the closer you get to Washington D.C. the more and more this is true, is a money laundering operation and nothing more.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I've come to realize that the more and more of government, and the closer you get to Washington D.C. the more and more this is true, is a money laundering operation and nothing more.

I just rewatched The Wire. I have no doubt that show is accurate.

In that show, “follow the money” was a huge underlying theme and developers and politicians were at the forefront of that.

You would have to be a fool to not realize that’s what is going on here.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just rewatched The Wire. I have no doubt that show is accurate.

In that show, “follow the money” was a huge underlying theme and developers and politicians were at the forefront of that.

You would have to be a fool to not realize that’s what is going on here.

Exactly.

The Wire is a great show, and accurate in its depictions of corruption.  What's ironic about the show imo is the creator, David Simon, so powerfully presents the innate corruption of the bureaucracies and the institutions, and yet he believes the solution to that is increasing them in size, scope, and power.  Baffling to me.  As if he doesn't understand the premise of his own show.

Edited by Pickles
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

I’m hoping that the delay is that they’re going to unveil a truly ambitious (and awe-inspiring) revitalization plan for the surrounding area that will cause great excitement.

A guy can dream, can’t he?

The city is going to purchase the Orioles and we gon get Shohei Ohtani.

Edit to add:  In other news, the City of Baltimore is strongly considering moving to Nashville.

Edited by foxfield
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

The Baltimore Sun article on the lease  A slight jab at John

The team had the opportunity in February to exercise a one-time option in the lease to extend it by five years but declined, believing a set deadline would allow both sides to come together on a new agreement. Angelos’ hopes of a deal in mid-July were not as firm as the contract’s completion, but the end of the All-Star break represents another self-imposed timeframe that has come and gone.

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day in January, Angelos volunteered to reporters that he would reveal “the financials of the Orioles” and again said in February he would meet with reporters “before spring training is over.”

“When I say something, like I’m gonna sit down with you guys explain the business from my perspective, I’m gonna do it,” Angelos said. “I’m not gonna say it and walk away from it.”

The meeting never took place. The lease is a much more integral matter, however, as it is what officially binds the club to the city.

In 2019, Angelos notably declared that the Orioles will play in Baltimore “as long as Fort McHenry is standing watch over the Inner Harbor” and has reiterated that point several time in the years since. Angelos is incentivized to agree to a new lease to keep the team in Baltimore not only because it would validate his past comments, but also because it would give the team access to $600 million in public money to upgrade Camden Yards. The neighboring Ravens extended their lease with the MSA in January, gaining access to the funds.

Only a few months are left on the Orioles’ current agreement, though the team and the MSA could also agree on another short extension. But the All-Star break and Angelos’ hopes of a gift along with it are nearly over.

I think that is the loop hole. Fort McHenry stands watch over the Seagrirt and Dundalk marine terminals. Federal Hill stands watch over the Inner Harbor. Dang those lawyers are tricky

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

What is John Angelos' net worth? As of 2023, John Angelos' net worth is an estimated $2 billion. He's earned much of that money through his family and from his job as both the chairman and CEO of the Baltimore Orioles, as well as the president and COO of the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN).

He hasn't worked a day in his life.

• Upvote 1