Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think someone like Lorenzen could be a Game 3 starter potentially. 

The key to me is whether or not we win the divison. I think it makes a big difference. Now, if we are a WC I’m not saying we can’t go on a run but our odds aren’t as good. 

He'd be an ok target, (though I do expect a little regression) but will Elias pull the trigger? Look, I do think the odds say he'll do something, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a meh SP.  Which to me is almost like standing pat, even if it's just eating the innings.

As for winning the division, yes. It would be huge for the bye and to be able to rest our pitching staff given the Verducii effect (though Elias hasn't said anything to strictly adhere to that.  I just worry because what may have happened to Wells.).  We really have a decent shot at it so Elias, get it done!

Just now, Fan4Life said:

They also said the value Verlander differently that Scherzer and won't be contributing as much $$$... so for me, if that us true, that's already a deal breaker. 

I know Scherzer has lost his fastball and stuff, but Verlander is not the same guy he was either. He's had a decent run since the ASB but he's pretty much getting by right now and walks are way up and strikeouts are way down. They can value him all they want, but he's not the same pitcher he was last year, not even close.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

If Verlander was a straight rental, I'd say it was very possible. But that 2nd year in the contract is a real killer. Just don't see us taking on even half of that cost. 

With Angelos restrictions on spending he isn’t spending 45 million for 1.2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

Exactly.  It'd probably take the Mets eating 80 - 90% of Verlander's remaining salary on the next 1.5 seasons for our front office to really strongly be considering it.  And that's a crazy amount to pay for the return.

Imagine Elias having to ask another owner for $75-100 million in cash. Would MLB even approve that?

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I know Scherzer has lost his fastball and stuff, but Verlander is not the same guy he was either. He's had a decent run since the ASB but he's pretty much getting by right now and walks are way up and strikeouts are way down. They can value him all they want, but he's not the same pitcher he was last year, not even close.

I agree with you completely. 103 pitches to get through 5.1 innings yesterday. Perhaps they swallowed more than they should have with Scherzer and are spinning it.. .

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m sure John Angelos would rather Elias trade his shiny prospects versus adding any money to the payroll. Definitely this year. We’ll have a lower payroll next year with Gibson, Frazier, and Givens, coming off the books. 

I really wish we could just kick him to the curb.  Unfortunately a bad owner is the most helpless thing in sports.

• Thanks 1

I'm honestly not worried if they stand pat and see how far it gets them. I believe Elias will try to work out some young controlled pitching for some of our young controllable bats when emotions aren't high and teams are in panic mode to win it all right now and make bad choices.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe the Rays gave up a top 40 prospect for Civale.

Civale seems like the type of guy they can get a lot out of.   I do agree that it's against their normal MO to give up a top-level prospect for a guy that's not an "Ace".

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's said he would pay 50 million dollars for a good prospect, the man has more money than sense.

You do realize that good prospects are worth $50 million, right?   Fangraphs had 55 FV position players worth $46 million 5 years ago.  Idk if they have an updated article but they’re definitely worth more than that now. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe the Rays gave up a top 40 prospect for Civale.

They do get him for 2 years after this, at least. I wouldn't have given up that much, but the Rays are in their window before guys get too expensive to keep around, I guess.