Felix vs the Otter

DrungoHazewood

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Miller was before my time, but obviously very good. Different era, averaged almost two innings an appearance. ERA+ not at the stratospheric levels of today's relievers at their best, but it's near impossible to put up a 1.00 when you're throwing 70 games, 110 innings.

He also got blown off the mound by the wind in an all-star game in San Francisco.  😀

21 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Felix is having the most dominant season ever by an Orioles closer.  We’ll see if it continues through the end of the season. 

Britton's 2016 beats this easily. 47 saves out of 47 attempts. 0.54 ERA. There's nothing quite like having your closer come in and not blowing a single one all year. When Felix comes in, I still have to hope he's not having one of his command issue days, which Britton never had that year.

Felix might have the better career but he hasn't topped Britton's peak.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I still have no idea how Full Pack didn't just burst into flames. In 1979 he had 21 saves and a 2.85 ERA, but walked 51 with just 34 strikeouts in 72 innings. If social media existed in '79 worldwide servers would have melted every time he came in with less than a 5-run lead.

Absolutely awful, but Earl leaned on him. Otter was the first reliever in my time as an Oriole fan that I remember thinking, “Hey, we have a closer.” I saw a few other teams had them over the years and I wanted a Tekulve, Fingers, Suter, etc…

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Drungo:  Felix vs. Olson

OH: BRITTON

Hard to argue with Britton's 2016... 1 home run in 67 innings, groundball machine, not Felix's K numbers but pretty respectable. Guys just couldn't get his sinker airborne. 

He had an 80% groundball rate and threw almost exclusively one pitch.... 

9 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Absolutely awful, but Earl leaned on him. Otter was the first reliever in my time as an Oriole fan that I remember thinking, “Hey, we have a closer.” I saw a few other teams had them over the years and I wanted a Tekulve, Fingers, Suter, etc…

Otter was up his draft year.     I am interested to see what Elias does with Teddy Sharkey.     August is just data measuring, but if the measurements, umm, measure up...

I assume with today's batch of GM's, a pitcher like Otter could never go high 1st round.     Olson is an interesting case for me if he was a "good" pick....Jim Abbott and Robin Ventura were other college guy that were the big hits after him in the top half of that first round.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Agreed.  Olson had the 2nd best curveball I've seen IMO behind Blyleven...

And that was back when baseball players had real nicknames...not like when Hyde just adds a y to everyone's name...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Britton's 2016 beats this easily. 47 saves out of 47 attempts. 0.54 ERA. There's nothing quite like having your closer come in and not blowing a single one all year. When Felix comes in, I still have to hope he's not having one of his command issue days, which Britton never had that year.

Felix might have the better career but he hasn't topped Britton's peak.

I am on my phone, but I do believe someone mentioned Britton having to rely on his defense. 

I do remember a late season save where he was bailed out on a miraculous relay from left field to nail a runner at the plate. 

Britton was great and had a fantastic season but I think Felix is striking out more batters. 

It’s notable that Olson threw a lot more innings per appearance.   That’s a function of how the closer role has evolved.   

It’s been about 30 years, and though a few closers have been about as dominant or more dominant for the O’s for 1-3 seasons, nobody has come remotely close to scaling the Mt. Olson total of 160 saves.  The guy had five excellent seasons as our closer.   I’m hoping to see someone top him one day.  Maybe The Mountain will be the guy.  

Edited by Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s notable that Olson threw a lot more innings per appearance.   That’s a function of how the closer role has evolved.   

It’s been about 30 years, and though a few closers have been about as dominant or more dominant for the O’s for 1-3 seasons, nobody has come remotely close to scaling the Mt. Olson total of 160 saves.  The guy had five excellent seasons as our closer.   I’m hoping to see someone top him one day.  Maybe The Mountain will be the guy.  

1/4 of the way there!

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I still have no idea how Full Pack didn't just burst into flames. In 1979 he had 21 saves and a 2.85 ERA, but walked 51 with just 34 strikeouts in 72 innings. If social media existed in '79 worldwide servers would have melted every time he came in with less than a 5-run lead.

Plus he was overused by Weaver late in the year and in the playoffs and World Series that most likely led to his poor performance during those times. 

I was planning on doing an indepth piece on Weaver's bullpen usage that probably did cost the Orioles the World Series in 1979. I remember looking at the boxscores and was just amazed at how little Tim Stoddard was used and how much Stanhouse among other things. 

It should be a good offseason piece.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

All that matters is the results though, no?

I have a hard time seeing the statistical argument for Bautista > Britton. I have a hard time seeing any argument, if I'm honest. I think we're forgetting a bit just how dominant Britton was there. Probably the most dominant closer I've ever seen? 

I think the intimidation leads (in part) to the results.  Knowing you have to defend against 102 AND a splitter 12 mph slower would be unnerving.  Britton was kind of a one trick pony.  That trick was damn good. But at least you can put together an attack plan.  

Edited by emmett16