Scoreboard watching

Frobby

One sign of the marathon evolving to the sprint - for today the Mariners have DFA'd Luke Weaver (a generic bulk pitcher who let the Rays dig out of a 4-1 hole Aaron Civale dug them yesterday) for Eduard Bazardo.

It is notable timing we get the Rays next weekend at the end of a long run without off days before they get 3 off days in the final 2 calendar weeks.     We're almost close enough Clubs can bullpen their way to the finish line except for All-Star caliber starting pitchers, but the Rays, one of the founders of the art, may not quite be there yet for the big OPACY series.

Civale-Eflin-Glasnow-Littell look like who we will see.

Edited by Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

I mean, they are playing much better teams than we have the past 2 series and keep winning. It's a bit early and quite a bit foolish to write them off as conquered.

Agreed. If the Orioles want to be Champions of the American League East, then they are going to have to beat the Tampa Bay Rays to do it. Because the rest of the league can't seem to do it.

This 4 game series coming up is a essentially the American League East Championship Series.

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Rays Jose Siri hit in the hand with a pitch.  It is a fracture, and he is out at least 3 weeks so basically the rest of the regular season.

Particularly tough injury for them to navigate at this very moment, as backup CF Manuel Margot is still on the IL following an elbow procedure. Word is he’s starting a rehab assignment tomorrow, but…will he be ready to go for the weekend?

Behind those two, they’ve used Josh Lowe and Luke Raley in short stints, both of whom received predictably terrible defensive marks for their efforts. 

If they feel the need to add a player not currently on the roster, they’ve got Raimel Tapia in the minors who might not embarrass them short term. They’ve also got Kameron Misner, the CF in AAA for most of the year, who is sort of their Jud Fabian — power/speed/discipline combo with big hit tool questions — but he’s evidently a fringy CF defender as well.

Not sure there’s a great option out there for them…

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Particularly tough injury for them to navigate at this very moment, as backup CF Manuel Margot is still on the IL following an elbow procedure. Word is he’s starting a rehab assignment tomorrow, but…will he be ready to go for the weekend?

Behind those two, they’ve used Josh Lowe and Luke Raley in short stints, both of whom received predictably terrible defensive marks for their efforts. 

If they feel the need to add a player not currently on the roster, they’ve got Raimel Tapia in the minors who might not embarrass them short term. They’ve also got Kameron Misner, the CF in AAA for most of the year, who is sort of their Jud Fabian — power/speed/discipline combo with big hit tool questions — but he’s evidently a fringy CF defender as well.

Not sure there’s a great option out there for them…

Given their paradoxical response so far to losing major  contributors, whoever they stick out there will turn into Willie Mays. 

9 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Are we sure the Mariners are good? Yeah their starting rotation is good, but they've come down from that insane heater and seem to be settling into what they were in the first half. I think I'd much rather play the Mariners than deal with the Rays (assuming good health for both teams).

They were 21-6 in August..........that's pretty good.  Not suggesting they are THAT good.   Kinda wild that they have lost every series in Sept so far.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

They were 21-6 in August..........that's pretty good.  Not suggesting they are THAT good.   Kinda wild that they have lost every series in Sept so far.

Yeah.. like I said an insane heater. But they've had some pretty bad losses in September so far. This place would be in shambles if you swapped our last two weeks for theirs.

Just saying they might not be as scary as they looked in August.

35 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Yeah.. like I said an insane heater. But they've had some pretty bad losses in September so far. This place would be in shambles if you swapped our last two weeks for theirs.

Just saying they might not be as scary as they looked in August.

They've been 3-8 vs out 8-2 in September.  We'd be looking up in the standings if we swapped.  That would be very tough to deal with.

There’s lots of pretty good teams that are capable of getting hot at the right time and beating a team that is better than them over the long haul in a short series.  The team I fear most in the AL is Houston, for the simple reason that they’re a team full of players who’ve been there and done that, and know what it takes to get deep into the postseason.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s lots of pretty good teams that are capable of getting hot at the right time and beating a team that is better than them over the long haul in a short series.  The team I fear most in the AL is Houston, for the simple reason that they’re a team full of players who’ve been there and done that, and know what it takes to get deep into the postseason.  

I agree, and they’re due to get hot. Seattle has never scared me much because they got hot at the wrong time and were destined to come back down to earth.