Yankees series: Let's be the team that slams the door on their season

interloper

On a gut level, my guess is if Judge were an ordinary player he still wouldn't be ready.    But superstars and their teams who need them can only be away so long.

Bringing Judge back and pushing Gerrit up to tonight is some nice mind games to play on young Grayson...let's see what happens.

Since the Astros debugged the bad Pittsburgh coding, Gerrit for me has been more or less unassailably the best pitcher in the league every year, regardless of the fact that some other one of the AL's top tier of pitchers have had spike seasons resulting in him holding zero Cy Young awards.   

Someday someone will overtake him for that honor...please oh please let it be Grayson Rodriguez.    I don't expect that page turn tonight, but I hope in the next couple years.     I wouldn't say no to a preview tonight!

It's important to take 2 out of 3 at least because that would give the O's the tiebreaker over the Yankees (the season series is currently 5-5). Although the Yankees are down at the moment, eight games in two months is certainly not an impossible gap for them to make up. It would be absolutely infuriating if the Yankees and Orioles finished with the same record and the Yankees got homefield advantage or kept the O's out of the playoffs entirely.

Even under the assumption that the Yankees' season is a lost cause and the Orioles are playoff-bound, it would still be irritating if even in this dream season the Yankees won the season series.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

On a gut level, my guess is if Judge were an ordinary player he still wouldn't be ready.    But superstars and their teams who need them can only be away so long.

Bringing Judge back and pushing Gerrit up to tonight is some nice mind games to play on young Grayson...let's see what happens.

Since the Astros debugged the bad Pittsburgh coding, Gerrit for me has been more or less unassailably the best pitcher in the league every year, regardless of the fact that some other one of the AL's top tier of pitchers have had spike seasons resulting in him holding zero Cy Young awards.   

Someday someone will overtake him for that honor...please oh please let it be Grayson Rodriguez.    I don't expect that page turn tonight, but I hope in the next couple years.     I wouldn't say no to a preview tonight!

... I don't think the Yankees are remotely trying to play mind games with a rookie that hasn't pitched well already.

7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

... I don't think the Yankees are remotely trying to play mind games with a rookie that hasn't pitched well already.

I agree it isn't in any way a Grayson-centric decision, more just noticing an exciting combination of circumstances for our young guy as he tries to take another step towards flushing the 1st half.

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's important to take 2 out of 3 at least because that would give the O's the tiebreaker over the Yankees (the season series is currently 5-5). Although the Yankees are down at the moment, eight games in two months is certainly not an impossible gap for them to make up. It would be absolutely infuriating if the Yankees and Orioles finished with the same record and the Yankees got homefield advantage or kept the O's out of the playoffs entirely.

Even under the assumption that the Yankees' season is a lost cause and the Orioles are playoff-bound, it would still be irritating if even in this dream season the Yankees won the season series.

I agree it's crucial that we win at least 2 against the Yanks. I don't believe that the Yanks are a lost cause yet, and that tiebreaker could end up being crucial (just like the tiebreaker against the Rays which we will likely win).

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Is it too much to ask for Cole to get bounced in the 1st and GRod throw a no-no?

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Is it too much to ask for Cole to get bounced in the 1st and GRod throw a no-no?

After seeing the lineup, I am concerned about the defense behind Grayson. It's the same defense that let him down 2 outings ago.  

They have to play better and give Grayson confidence with his situation. He needs to be able to trust his teamates to do their jobs.

Outcomes of this series:

• Yankee sweep:  they are 5 games behind us, but they would have the tiebreak (effectively 5 games behind)
  • Yankees win 2 of 3:  they are 7 games behind us but they would have the tiebreak (effectively 7 games behind)
  • Orioles win 2 of 3:  they are 9 games behind us but we would have the tiebreak (effectively 10 games behind)
  • Orioles sweep:  they are 11 game behind us but we would have the tiebreak (effectively 12 games behind)

That is a wide swath of differences in terms of how much chance the Yankees would have to catch us for the division or for wild card seeding or a wild card spot in the last 57 games.

This is our 2nd most important series of the season to date.   We did pretty well in our most important one last weekend.   And our 3rd most important one just might be next.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Outcomes of this series:

• Yankee sweep:  they are 5 games behind us, but they would have the tiebreak (effectively 5 games behind)
  • Yankees win 2 of 3:  they are 7 games behind us but they would have the tiebreak (effectively 7 games behind)
  • Orioles win 2 of 3:  they are 9 games behind us but we would have the tiebreak (effectively 10 games behind)
  • Orioles sweep:  they are 11 game behind us but we would have the tiebreak (effectively 12 games behind)

That is a wide swath of differences in terms of how much chance the Yankees would have to catch us for the division or for wild card seeding or a wild card spot in the last 57 games.

This is our 2nd most important series of the season to date.   We did pretty well in our most important one last weekend.   And our 3rd most important one just might be next.

There's a very good chance by the end of the season this series won't even rate as being Top 5-10. Everything with the Jays and Rays going forward is far more important.