Trade Deadline Poll

25 Nuggets

Trade Deadline Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a front office failure if they do nothing at the trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I'm just being a stickler, but polling questions aren't supposed to be formulated in such a way that you're leading people to a certain answer. Using words like "failure" and "nothing" are pretty suggestive and also don't address the alternative.

I'm certainly not a pollster, but I think you might cut to the core of the issue if you instead asked whether people would rather the front office to do nothing or otherwise overpay. Because Elias has said they're trying, and there's no reason to disbelieve that.

"overpay" is just as suggestive.

Facts and rationality do not apply to this poll anyway.

I see so many posts like this one.

The O's are the best team in the AL on 7/31. No one on this board thought this would be case the on this day a year ago. We were all thinking they had a ways to go to catch the Astros, Rays, Jays, etc.

Lots of negativity floating around here.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

"overpay" is just as suggestive.

Facts and rationality do not apply to this poll anyway.

But people who think doing nothing is a failure either think the front office isn't engaging with other teams in good faith or else aren't willing to overpay but should.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

But people who think doing nothing is a failure either think the front office isn't engaging with other teams in good faith or else aren't willing to overpay but should.

Yes, and those fans exist.  I'm curious to see how many are here.

5 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yes, and those fans exist.  I'm curious to see how many are here.

They're in every thread clamoring about how disappointed they will be if the front office doesn't do something RIGHT MEOW.

Meanwhile, we, the silent majority, stand strong in our defense of Sirs Elias and Sig, first of their names.

• Haha 1

Yes.  The relief pitching needs to be improved.  The system is overflowing with prospects, we are about to run out of space for folks to play, and we are two months away from potential home field advantage in the playoffs.  I’m not advocating for a blockbuster mega move, but the pitching absolutely needs to be bolstered and not doing so would be a failure.  The team is set up to compete over 162 but ,as currently rostered, is not set up for playoff baseball IMO. 

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Yes.  The relief pitching needs to be improved.  The system is overflowing with prospects, we are about to run out of space for folks to play, and we are two months away from potential home field advantage in the playoffs.  I’m not advocating for a blockbuster mega move, but the pitching absolutely needs to be bolstered and not doing so would be a failure.  The team is set up to compete over 162 but ,as currently rostered, is not set up for playoff baseball IMO. 

Genuine question/no snark: would you be happy with one or more of Means/Hall/Povich/McDermott being brought up for the playoffs? Is that plus Fuji enough?

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

They're in every thread clamoring about how disappointed they will be if the front office doesn't do something RIGHT MEOW.

Meanwhile, we, the silent majority, stand strong in our defense of Sirs Elias and Sig, first of their names.

I wholeheartedly support darn near everything this FO does, but doing “nothing” means “nothing”.  Doesn’t mean make a small move for a guy we’ve never heard of.  They have a legit chance at a WS this year. Theoretically we will have that chance next year, but you never know what the future holds.  Gunnar, Adley, GRod, et al could get injured and we could flounder to a .500 record next year.  They have prospect capital and frankly are running out of space to hoard players.  They need to make a move to improve the team for a shot at the WS.  There is a large chunk of the year left and we’ve been extremely Lucky with injuries.  The roster needs to be supplemented a bit for a better % chance at a WS ring.  

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Genuine question/no snark: would you be happy with one or more of Means/Hall/Povich/McDermott being brought up for the playoffs? Is that plus Fuji enough?

If Means comes back dealing come playoff time, and Grayson Rodriguez keeps it up from his last three starts I don't think people will be complaining much about the rotation.  They are "ifs", but it's plausible.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I actually believe that is more or less the plan.  Playoffs are a heck of a time to earn your wings, though.  

Means has health question and Povich has serious command questions.  

Hall and McDermott are the wild cards.  I think they’ll get their auditions in a few weeks to have a chance at the playoff roster.  I’d like them (or someone) to replace/upgrade Perez & Baker.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If Means comes back dealing come playoff time, and Grayson Rodriguez keeps it up from his last three starts I don't think people will be complaining much about the rotation.  They are "ifs", but it's plausible.

I’d be perfectly happy with a playoff rotation of GRod, Bradish, Means (assuming health and performance).  The bullpen needs to be addressed and I don’t think Kremer/Wells are the answer.  They’d be great as long man if a starter gets blown up, but that’s about it.  Replace Gibson with a bonafide bullpen guy.  

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I actually believe that is more or less the plan.  Playoffs are a heck of a time to earn your wings, though.  

Means has health question and Povich has serious command questions.  

Hall and McDermott are the wild cards.  I think they’ll get their auditions in a few weeks to have a chance at the playoff roster.  I’d like them (or someone) to replace/upgrade Perez & Baker.  

Yeah I get Povich/McDermott not being brought up until late by necessity, but it is curious with Hall given how our only dependable lefty is Coulombe and Hall is already on the 40-man. He must either look really bad or really need this de-loading. That's also why Perez has been given so many chances, they really want another lefty.

I do think the full picture of upgrading this team has to take into consideration these sorts of moves though. Along with adding Mullins and maybe calling up Kjerstad/Ortiz/Holliday and one of them catches on.

Edited by Alasdaire

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This is a loaded question that all depends on the players we are talking about on both side of a trade. 

It's a failure they don't both move the needled and cover depth for some injuries and down performances (like the bullpen has shown.) If they did nothing, that's negligence.

But it would also be foolish to trade just for trading sake if it's a bad deal for the Orioles. Im not looking to move a top 25 prospect for a player who is nothing more than a depth piece or #5 starter. Walk away from that if necessary.

This question is all very dependent on the details 

Seems clear to me.  It says “nothing”.  That means absolutely zero trade and we roll with the roster as is.    

I trust Elias completely at this point. What has happened in Baltimore over the past few years is just awesome. He did and the folks he's brought in did that. If no deal happens beyond Fuji, it's all good. 

I need to change my avatar - that's probably from the dark days of Orioles fandom, which I shall always maintain.

• Upvote 1