Trade Deadline Poll

25 Nuggets

Trade Deadline Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a front office failure if they do nothing at the trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No

I said yes.  The O's are a World Series contender.  They have clear weaknesses.  They have more minor league talent than any other team and payroll should not be an issue.  If ever a team was in a good position to make a trade, it's this one.  To say that it's ok if the O's do nothing is to say that nobody should ever do a deadline deal, ever.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I said yes.  The O's are a World Series contender.  They have clear weaknesses.  They have more minor league talent than any other team and payroll should not be an issue.  If ever a team was in a good position to make a trade, it's this one.  To say that it's ok if the O's do nothing is to say that nobody should ever do a deadline deal, ever.  

I don't agree that not making a trade now means you're never willing to trade.

We don't know what is being asked of the O's. Not only has this year been described as a "seller's market" repeatedly, but everyone and their grandma keeps saying that the O's have talent/logjams. That might mean other teams think they can make unrealistic demands because the O's will ultimately give in, which also wouldn't be a good precedent to set in the very first year you're buyers.

There's also no real reason you can point to that this team should be treating this season with a special sense of urgency other than that almost all of the best-case scenarios have come true so far. They lose literally no one next year. They're going to make the playoffs whether they make a trade or not. And it's not like the rest of the league is in shambles and it's right there for the taking.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

It's an impossible question to answer.

If the Orioles refrain from making a bad trade it is a great win.

Other teams have made deadline trades this year.  Some of them I would have made, some of them I wouldn't.  The price of pitching is high, but it's always high, and there's no reason to think the O's should have to overpay any more than other teams.  The issue is whether Elias can do something that a bunch of other GMs have done this year and in past years--give up some prospects to help your team win now.  

If your wife sends you to the grocery store to buy eggs and there are eggs available but you come home empty handed because you think the eggs cost more than they should, then you have failed.  That's the way to think of this question.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alasdaire said:

That might mean other teams think they can make unrealistic demands because the O's will ultimately give in, which also wouldn't be a good precedent to set in the very first year you're buyers.

Other teams may try that as an initial negotiating tactic, but in the end, they will take the O's offer if it is better than other teams' offers.  There is no reason the O's couldn't have gotten Montgomery or Civale for comparable talent.   Hopefully they will have the best offer for EdRod.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Other teams may try that as an initial negotiating tactic, but in the end, they will take the O's offer if it is better than other teams' offers.  There is no reason the O's couldn't have gotten Montgomery or Civale for comparable talent.   Hopefully they will have the best offer for EdRod.  

I've wondered aloud a few times in other threads whether Elias is trying to gain leverage by waiting until the last minute. If the sellers are driving him hard and trying to take advantage, he might be well served waiting until the other buyers drop out so that he's one of the only suitors left. Sellers are ultimately the ones who are motivated as they have highly depreciating assets. And Elias can plausibly say that he's is no rush to do anything.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.  Especially with the Wells situation.  One starter minimum.  One starter plus one reliever needed.   The one starter being ERod would satisfy someone who could get hot and be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Do you not see the irony in you asking for Erod? Andy Miller was fun but it would have been way better to have done nothing that year and kept Erod in the rotation for the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I said no… but I would like to know what they wanted for Montgomery. That could be the one that got away.

I think Orioles matched up poorly with Cardinals.  They have position players and need pitching prospects. They likely wanted Povich plus and I sense the brass maybe values him more than others. 

1 hour ago, Rojo13 said:

Do you not see the irony in you asking for Erod? Andy Miller was fun but it would have been way better to have done nothing that year and kept Erod in the rotation for the next 5 years.

I hated the Miller/erod trade at the time because of the sheer massive problem the orioles had developing SP.  Erod was a solid prospect at the time and we let him go for a one inning pitcher who granted was lights out but was also a rental.  It should not have been made in my opinion.  

But Angelos was old and fading and tired of being called the worst owner of all North American sports.(Yes Peter Angelos was ranked on a list as the worst owner of every baseball, football, basketball and hockey team)   Duquette craved respect and peer approval after spending a decade in the wilderness as unhireable.   Buck Showalter wanted to finally win a world series after leaving to teams that won the year after he was booted out.  Those guys wanted to  WIN NOW in the worst way possible.  

I hope that Elias gets us some help in pitching but NOT at the expense of the future.  

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I hated the Miller/erod trade at the time because of the sheer massive problem the orioles had developing SP.  Erod was a solid prospect at the time and we let him go for a one inning pitcher who granted was lights out but was also a rental.  It should not have been made in my opinion.  

But Angelos was old and fading and tired of being called the worst owner of all North American sports.(Yes Peter Angelos was ranked on a list as the worst owner of every baseball, football, basketball and hockey team)   Duquette craved respect and peer approval after spending a decade in the wilderness as unhireable.   Buck Showalter wanted to finally win a world series after leaving to teams that won the year after he was booted out.  Those guys wanted to  WIN NOW in the worst way possible.  

I hope that Elias gets us some help in pitching but NOT at the expense of the future.  

Miller was amazing.  The only mistake was no signing him at the end of the season. 

12 hours ago, Rojo13 said:

Our farm system today is a world away from our farm system in 2014.   We have an abundance of talent now.  I accept that the guys we would trade now for Ed Rod have a good chance of being excellent major leaguers, but if we keep them they might not even get that chance in Baltimore.