Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

Saw someone who I follow on Twitter the other day talk about how these disciplined hitters have no business being in the lower minors in large part because of the umpires. Said the umps don’t start getting better quality until you get to AA.

Right now, it’s not like Bradfield is hitting the cover off the ball but he has no business, as a college hitter with an advanced batting eye, being in Delmarva. He should be in Aberdeen at worse.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Saw someone who I follow on Twitter the other day talk about how these disciplined hitters have no business being in the lower minors in large part because of the umpires. Said the umps don’t start getting better quality until you get to AA.

Right now, it’s not like Bradfield is hitting the cover off the ball but he has no business, as a college hitter with an advanced batting eye, being in Delmarva. He should be in Aberdeen at worse.

The O’s just seem to prefer giving these guys a week or three to acclimate.  I can’t say I really care.  We know Bradfiekd will have an opportunity to advance as far as Norfolk next year if his play warrants it, regardless of where he starts this year.  

• Upvote 3

I've always found it a bit paradoxical that the O's draft college bats and then slow play them. You would think a good part of the value of taking that sort of player rather than a prep player or even a college pitcher is that they can be promoted quickly so long as things go well. That doesn't seem to be be part of the value add for them with college hitters though when you consider that guys like Henderson and Holliday fly through the system.

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

I've always found it a bit paradoxical that the O's draft college bats and then slow play them. You would think a good part of the value of taking that sort of player rather than a prep player or even a college pitcher is that they can be promoted quickly so long as things go well. That doesn't seem to be be part of the value add for them with college hitters though when you consider that guys like Henderson and Holliday fly through the system.

Holliday and Henderson were 1:1 prospects in the game.  They’ve promoted pretty aggressively with the college players.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday and Henderson were 1:1 prospects in the game.  They’ve promoted pretty aggressively with the college players.

I also think the Orioles like the get there players comfortable with the mechanical changes they ask players to make.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

I don’t agree with the premise that our college bats have been slow played, with the notable exception of Adley.  The fact that there was no MiL season in 2020, and that Kjerstad had a health crisis, delayed the development of some of our college bats.  But the last two years, the good college bats have moved pretty quickly.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vab said:

Of all things, how can anybody seriously be critical of the way this organization has handled minor league prospects?

I don’t think anyone is being critical of it. People are just offering their opinion that he would be challenged better in a higher league. That’s just a fact.

If he follows the path of other recent draftees, he'll progress quickly until he hits a bump in the road. My guess is they'll be reworking his swing a bit, so next year will be up and down at the plate. 2025 could be his breakout.

He'll also steal fewer bases as he moves up the chain. I love that he can do so at will at these levels (beats the alternative), but that will get harder as he moves up.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think anyone is being critical of it. People are just offering their opinion that he would be challenged better in a higher league. That’s just a fact.

It’s a fact that a higher league would be more of a challenge.  It’s not a fact that skipping Delmarva would be better.   It’s hard to argue with the way the organization is doing things even if SOMEONE on twitter disagrees.