Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

This is what I don't get... what does a guy like Jim Palmer have to lose by showing solidarity with Kevin? What are they going to do, take his statue down? They could can him, but then they make an even bigger fool of themselves, and I don't get the impression that Jim needs this job in the first place. I would love for Jim to speak up for Kevin and call John's bluff.

Maybe Palmer does need this job. They didn't make gazillions back in the day like these overpaid bums do today.

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

I'm kind of feeling this way, too. As far as Elias and Sig go, I dunno. If JA is going to do KB like this, there are other things we don't know about where he's being a petty little POS of a man. If they were going to leave, it would be all of those things and this KB situation is just one of those things.

I keep telling myself this sort of thing is happening there all of the time and I didn't know about and I still enjoyed this season. So, just need to let it go.

My hope is Orioles fans have a long memory and there are at least some chants of support for Kevin at the next homestand. Hopefully more things come to light before then, too, so this stays fresh. I am so angry about this. Unbelievable hypocrisy and entitlement. Unbelievable disrespect to Orioles fans. Whatever consequences befall JA, and there may be none because that's how it works for people in his position, he would deserve all of it tenfold. 

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Maybe Palmer does need this job. They didn't make gazillions back in the day like these overpaid bums do today.

True but Palmer seems to have had more sponsorship deals than the average player as well. I'd be surprised if he needed a paycheck still but it wouldn't be unprecedented, I suppose.

I have been quarantined in the living room for a spell because of COVID, so I had nothing to do but watch all 3 games this past weekend. Rarely do I get the time to watch a whole game, let alone 3. Saturday night was amazing with all of the great there, watching the fans and how electric it seemed. Even Buck was slapping backs...just an all around excellent vibe.

Now, I'm pissed because the Angelos family does not deserve any of the good vibes and recognition for something that they didn't have any real part in other than owning a team at the right time.

We the fans, we deserve these good times. Not all sports are created equal. Baseball is just different. The Angelos family is like a leech. They just suck the good out of anything relating to a baseball team that is far bigger than them. How childish can someone be? All he had to do this season was sit back and let it happen. He couldn't even manage to do that. Even some of the little things earlier kinda went away. You would have thought that maybe he would have realized that maybe... just maybe he should prop his feet up and let it be. Couldn't do it.

Regardless of how the season plays out, they will still own the team with no end in sight. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Nestor Aparicio just totally dropped the bomb on John Angelos in this post:

https://baltimorepositive.com/dear-john-angelos-youre-a-civic-disgrace-just-like-your-father-now-sign-the-lease/

I had my run-ins with Nestor many years ago, but this well-written piece gives a lot of history of how this petty family has treated people across the board. And yes, I do find it ironic that this was posted on a site called Baltimorepositive.com. :D

Whaaaaat? I have no recollection of any run-ins between you and Nestor back in the day. None whatsoever. 😉

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Would be crazy to see OPACY flooded with Free Kevin Brown t-shirts this week.

Honestly, as much as I am on Kevin's side here, I don't want to see that.

I want the focus of the fans to be on the guys on the field beating the other team.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Honestly, as much as I am on Kevin's side here, I don't want to see that.

I want the focus of the fans to be on the guys on the field beating the other team.

Just do it for one inning. As a fan, I need something like this to move on mentally. There has to be some kind of consequence other than national media dunking on JA. It needs to be something outside his front door. The impact would be minimal, but at least for me I'd feel a lot better. 

4 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

True but Palmer seems to have had more sponsorship deals than the average player as well. I'd be surprised if he needed a paycheck still but it wouldn't be unprecedented, I suppose.

Money management skills are key as well.  People with normal jobs at the median income level commonly save and prep for retirement.  Even back then, athletes made more than the median income for society, and he did have side endorsement deals and such as well.  So if he managed his money well, he's fine.

But then again, you see athletes now making millions per season, and huge percentage splurge, don't plan, and are bankrupt a few years after retirement.  Jim Palmer doesn't seem like that type of person, but who really knows?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, correct.  Looking forward to the Astros game tonight.

I agree with you 100%.  

For the longest time, I thought Dan Snyder was going to be the Skins owner for most of the rest of my life.  And I was just determined to outlast him.  Just flat out, outlast him.  To your point about being an Orioles fan before this current ownership and being a fan after them...I felt the same way about the Skins.  I feel the same way about the Orioles.

It took a monumental effort to get Snyder out of DC but it happened.  Of course a lot of it was due to legal pressure, but it still happened.  

I don't know what it'll take for the Angelos family to sell the team.  I believe they understand they're not liked...and if they didn't know before yesterday, they certainly know now.  

But just like Snyder, I suspect that not being liked isn't enough for the Angelos family to let go of the team.  I don't know if there's anything legal in JA's closet that could make him to be forced to sell the team if it came to light, but I hope so.  I think, right now, that's the only way.

Until then, I'm just here to outlast him.

I like to say that when Snyder was caught stealing money from the other owners, that's when he really got in trouble.  🤑

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Just do it for one inning. As a fan, I need something like this to move on mentally. There has to be some kind of consequence other than national media dunking on JA. It needs to be something outside his front door. The impact would be minimal, but at least for me I'd feel a lot better. 

Well, we don't agree.   This is just a distraction.

32 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

This is what I don't get... what does a guy like Jim Palmer have to lose by showing solidarity with Kevin? What are they going to do, take his statue down? They could can him, but then they make an even bigger fool of themselves, and I don't get the impression that Jim needs this job in the first place. I would love for Jim to speak up for Kevin and call John's bluff.

This is why, despite numerous reports confirming that the Tampa comments were the sole reason he was reprimanded, I still think there has to be more to this. Might not be *much* more, but KB must've done something previously to incite JA's ire.

I know, I keep making the mistake of assuming that JA is a normal, emotionally balanced human, who couldn't possibly have acted so rashly.