Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

They are muting the stadium noise on the radio feed whenever the Free Kevin Brown chants kick up.

To be fair, I've noticed that every time I do the radio feed on MLB-TV or At Bat, ie crowd noise goes down when the broadcaster is speaking and sometimes longer. 

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

To be fair I’m not 100% sure that’s unique to this scenario. It seems like they do that a lot on the radio feed 

Agreed. I've heard it most of the year. I don't like it, but it's what they have. I'm guessing it's like a limiter or noise gate like recording studios use.

13 minutes ago, EricK said:

Seldom poster; but I agree with you (and many others).  FWIW, I'm an old Baltimore Colts Marching Band alum that lived through that. In the past, Johnny Unitas was always there to light the Christmas tree in Woodlawn.  In the late sixties, all of the seventies, most of the eighties and early nineteens, my family lived off Windsor Mill Road and my parents always commented on the way to Memorial Park as we passed Tucker Lane that Jim Palmer lived there when they moved there in late 1965 into 1966.  Gene Brabender and Harvey Haddix were there also in that time frame (and  a few others that I don't remember).  I didn't adopt the Ravens when they assumed the old Colts stats.  The long-term lease needs to be signed as soon as possible.  I want that resolved now.  As much as I like Kevin Brown, this is secondary as to the Orioles as a whole.  Take care, Eric

If the city of Baltimore gave Irsay a new stadium he doesn’t leave. Camden Yards is still standing. They aren’t going anywhere. 

16 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Nothing good is coming next (except hopefully a visit to the World Series this year). We are either stuck with this crap, hoping that great people wander in for a few years before they realize what is up. Or our owner really has gone off the deep end to the point that MLB decides they need to take action. If that is the case,  I have zero faith that the action will simply be to replace the owner. Moving the team out of the Nats market seems the much more obvious choice.

They are not moving the team at any point in the foreseeable future. People really need to stop worrying about that. 

8 minutes ago, deward said:

They are not moving the team at any point in the foreseeable future. People really need to stop worrying about that. 

They just need an excuse to do it. The die was cast the day they moved the Expos. MLB cares less than zero about Camden yards, history, etc. The minute they can optimize their revenue growth potential without taking more than a few days hit of negative press they will do it.

Edited by Chavez Ravine
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

You're right, the minute they moved the tradition-laden Expos, who called the baseball cathedral that is Montreal Olympic Stadium home, it was clear that no franchise was safe.

Testament to my cynicism is that Montreal is on the short list for expansion teams. Did they just intend for the Expos to go on a long sabbatical? I don’t think they are actively trying to move the O’s out of Baltimore, but they sure aren’t trying to help them stay.

Edited by Chavez Ravine

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Testament to my cynicism is that Montreal is on the short list for expansion teams. Did they just intend for the Expos to go on a long sabbatical? I don’t think they are actively trying to move the O’s out of Baltimore, but they sure aren’t trying to help them stay.

Major League Baseball has actively made great efforts to *not* have its teams relocate in recent decades. The Rays are a fantastic example of a franchise that really should pull up stairs economically, but haven’t.

In Oakland they delayed years and years trying to make it work. In Montreal it took an incredible odd series of events - including local TV networks that actually wanted the team to pay for air time, and the league at one point voting to contract the Expos and Twins before changing its mind - for the team to fall into MLB hands and ultimately require a move.

The city of Baltimore is actively trying to whatever it can to keep the Orioles. MLB knows that. The Angelos family is a regular throb in the side of literally whoever they deal with. After thr MASN dispute, MLB very much knows that.

The franchise is messy, but it’s not physically relocating.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

You're right, the minute they moved the tradition-laden Expos, who called the baseball cathedral that is Montreal Olympic Stadium home, it was clear that no franchise was safe.

It doesn't have anything to do with who moved, their tradition, or their stadium.

They moved to DC. 

9 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

They just need an excuse to do it. The die was cast the day they moved the Expos. MLB cares less than zero about Camden yards, history, etc. The minute they can optimize their revenue growth potential without taking more than a few days hit of negative press they will do it.

Could the Orioles move? Sure, anything could happen. Is it at all likely? No.

The only teams to move since I was a little kid 50 years ago are the Expos and now probably the A's. They have one thing in common: they played in 1960s era multipurpose concrete football bowls, and their cities would not write the owners $1 billion taxpayer checks for a new stadium. Once Montreal made it clear they weren't giving the Expos what they wanted MLB put Jeffrey Loria in charge and let him sabotage the team.

The last time Major League Baseball abandoned a stadium the likes of Camden Yards was never. People pine for Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds, but when the Giants and Dodgers left they were both close to 50 years old, with no parking, no amenities whatsoever, designed for the crowds and transportation of 1900 in a very different world. Before the move Brooklyn was entertaining options for a new park, some of the designs included the first modern domed stadium. The Polo Grounds hosted the first few years of the Mets, but then was torn down because it was obsolete.

So if they were to leave OPACY and move a now very competitive Orioles team it would be unprecedented.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone in that thread confirmed it too and it sounds like that person is at the game.

btw, I’m not saying this is definitely true but I 100% believe it.

Really. You are using a Twitter account called that to "confirm" rumors. Joke Accounts like that is why Twitter/X is a wasteland of lies and crude.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Really. You are using a Twitter account called that to "confirm" rumors. Joke Accounts like that is why Twitter/X is a wasteland of lies and crude.

I agree it's not exactly the pinnacle of credibility but at the same time, is there really anything that's unbelievable when it comes to these tyrants anymore?

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, as I said, I’m not saying it’s 100% true.  But someone else in that thread said he can confirm it and sounds like he was there.

And let’s face it, why would anyone doubt that to be true? In fact, I expected that to happen.