Deivi Garcia DFA possible reclamation project?

bpilktree

The Yankees designated him for assignment.  I know he has struggled last year or two but this was a top level prospect just two years back and still just 24 years of age.  The stuff is electric at times but could never get consistency for the Yankees but that seems to be common issue with young promising Yankee prospects lately.  If he gets to us this would be a great guy to pick up and see what our organization can do with him.  I am not sure he gets to us but if he does I hope we role the dice with him especially since we can option him unlike Webb.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Only if Garcia can be stashed in the minor leagues. If another team wants him on their MLB roster then forget it this is a playoff race and Garcia is an unknown quantity against MLB hitters.

He still has an option left so he could stay in AAA this season.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The one thing the Yankees seem pretty good with is developing pitching. 

Everyone needs a change of scenery if things just aren’t working. Seems like a no brainer since we can stick him in AAA for the rest of the year, and then would have all off season ST to work with him. However, he’d be out of options for next year. 

How many players can we carry through the offseason that don’t have options for next year?  Tight now we’re looking at Perez, Couloumbe, Irvin, Akin, Webb, McKenna, Urias, Mateo, and O’Hearn.  It’s been hard just to be able to keep Perez without options this year. 

I don't know enough about statcast data to say if he still has the potential we'd hope he has, but note that he barely has any ML innings this year. He got DFA'd because he got rocked in AAA. Not even the majors.

6.3 bb/9 (something the O's seem to be able to work with)

1.7+ WHIP

Spin rates look below average.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather have him on the 40 man roster right now over Akin or Vavra. Irvin is out of options next year so he’ll be in the O’s bullpen. That would make Zimmerman and Garcia our SP depth for next season. Garcia would be a slick pick up. 

I would also be open to releasing Givens, since it looks like he isn't going to contribute this year. I'd probably take Garcia over Gillaspie as well. They have some interesting similarities.