John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

1 hour ago, Getz said:

This is what I like to see (if true). I still would have preferred that he gotten a tuneup with the Angels but we shall see. I wonder if they’ll go back to a six-man rotation or stick with the five-man and skip a starter’s turn here each time through the rotation from now until the end of the season.

Say Means gets four starts to the end of the year. What if he’s lights-out in those starts? Does he supplant a Gibson or Flaherty on the post-season roster?

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

This is what I like to see (if true). I still would have preferred that he gotten a tuneup with the Angels but we shall see. I wonder if they’ll go back to a six-man rotation or stick with the five-man and skip a starter’s turn here each time through the rotation from now until the end of the season.

Say Means gets four starts to the end of the year. What if he’s lights-out in those starts? Does he supplant a Gibson or Flaherty on the post-season roster?

Who are they going to take out of the rotation for him? I guess Gibson? Flaherty, Bradish, Rodríguez, Kremer all seem unlikely...perhaps Bradish or Rodríguez for innings concerns? 

I'm not too optimistic about Means given his velocity readings in the minors. No harm in trying him though, I guess, especially if we feel that it's necessary to limit innings, or if it's for Gibson...with lower velocity I still think Means will be about Irvin level. 

Edited by Flash- bd

44 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Who are they going to take out of the rotation for him? I guess Gibson? Flaherty, Bradish, Rodríguez, Kremer all seem unlikely...perhaps Bradish or Rodríguez for innings concerns? 

I'm not too optimistic about Means given his velocity readings in the minors. No harm in trying him though, I guess, especially if we feel that it's necessary to limit innings, or if it's for Gibson...with lower velocity I still think Means will be about Irvin level. 

I don't think there's much of a concern about Bradish's innings this year.  He threw 144 last year between the minors and majors. 

13 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

My guess is he will be the 6th starter so that Bradish gets pushed back to face the Rays Thursday.  Bradish and G-Rod would both pitch in the Rays series.  My guess is Flaherty and Kremer get the other two starts in that series.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Flaherty goes today. If he does poorly he could end up in the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, Bird Lady said:

I would say the Os would not have gone to the trouble of claiming him and making room on the 40 man if they didn't care and  hope to fix and  keep him in 2024.

I agree, but would add that I don't believe Jorge Lopez is getting an Arb3 tender from Mike Elias.     The path to Lopez smoothly on the '24 Orioles is it being a culture and price point fit agreeable to both parties before the tender deadline.     Otherwise it'll be the same as last offseason declining the Jordan Lyles option, and then Lopez is on the market with Mychal Givens and a zillion other relievers.

It isn't hard to imagine Jorge Lopez getting the first Save for the '24 Orioles.

17 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

The only SP who are locked into a rotation spot IMO are Bradish, Kremer, and Rodriguez.

We could go back to a six man to end the season or move Gibson to the bullpen. The important thing will be figuring out our playoff rotation and maybe Means is part of it. 

I hope Means does great. 

But don't get your hopes up everyone. Look at his career stats each year. Got average written all over it. Yes he pitched a near perfect game no hitter. 

Other than that... Bradish has a lower ERA now than Means ever had in any year.