The return of Kevin Brown

Roy Firestone

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would bet that Brown is on a one year deal.

For sake of argument let’s say he is. He quits then he forfeits his money he was owed rest of year. Not like Orioles are his only income. He could probably try to pick up more assignments in the meantime and then he is free to sign elsewhere.  

Also, his mention of Bader reminded how much of a slimy fascist cockroach that guy is. He's survived multiple regimes, he's pulled press credentials, etc, all while sounding like a happy ray of sunshine on interviews and such. He's an Angelos lifer that cannot be fired or removed. He sucks. And I wouldn't be surprised if this was really more like 75% Bader, 25% Angelos. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say that the Rockies are directly competing against the Orioles.  There are 30 MLB teams, they are all directly competing with each other.  I'd also say that it's murky enough that Angelos could tie it up for the rest of the season.

I think that if they tried to extend the agreement past this season that they'd lose.  I don't see how a couple of months would count as unreasonable or oppressive.  Brown could be free to find work with anyone that isn't one of the other 29 teams.  Thorne has done Hockey for instance. 

You might be right, but I think the Angelos family could, and would, tie things up in court in a way Brown might not be able to easily deal with.

The Rockies directly compete against the Orioles 6 times a season due to the new schedule that MLB rolled out this year.  They're not competing in the same division, they're not competing in the same league.  

The competition happens between the players on the field, not in the broadcast booth.

You're right, the Angelos family might tie things up in court...only to be the douchebags that they are and try to intimidate Brown and wear him out financially.  But given how he's become fairly high profile, I bet there are some lawyers out there who'd work for him pro-bono or at a severely reduced rate. 

The flip side of that coin is that if you believe what Connolly reported the other day, Angelos was irate that this leaked and upset about how he's been portrayed.  If he had any sense (and we know he doesn't, but maybe he'd just get it once) he'd realize that going after the PBP guy in court is probably a bad look for him.  He'd be better off to wish him well.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

And which party to this contract owns the law firm?  I would also check the court docket to see how long it would take the suit to come to a hearing much less a trial.  You are probably right that Brown could terminate his employment at will, but the real issue is future employment and when.  There is also the question of how desirable a litigious announcer would be to a prospective employer.

I doubt it would come to a hearing or a trial.  There'd probably be one side who wants to settle.

I don't think Brown would be the litigious party in this case...in other words, he's not the one calling the lawyer and bringing up charges.  IMO, Brown would just want out and to get as far away from JA as possible.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Thing is another team is not going to hire him for the last 45 games of the season. They already have people under contract. This isn’t some local newscaster who leaves one city station for another. 

Probably correct but he can go on and do national assignments, college football games, etc.  He's already done college football for ESPN, IIRC.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I doubt it would come to a hearing or a trial.  There'd probably be one side who wants to settle.

I don't think Brown would be the litigious party in this case...in other words, he's not the one calling the lawyer and bringing up charges.  IMO, Brown would just want out and to get as far away from JA as possible.

Probably correct but he can go on and do national assignments, college football games, etc.  He's already done college football for ESPN, IIRC.

Sure. Orioles can’t stop him. 

Let's hope we can get another 80 pages on KB...and maybe repeat the RF year old interview.  Let's keep on speculating. I care about the product on the field..KB is ok, but he doesn't  win games. And when you get tired of this go back to RM, he's always good for a few negative pages.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

The only winner in this is Kevin Brown, and I love that for him. 

What exactly does this mean?  Who are the losers?  We all know the Angelos' are ridiculous petty owners, so no news there.  If you're saying the fans are losers because we couldn't listen to an announcer for two weeks, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.  

The Angelos' suck as owners.  That has been confirmed in the past two weeks.  I see nothing else that has come from this that makes ANYONE a winner or loser.

2 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Let's hope we can get another 80 pages on KB...and maybe repeat the RF year old interview.  Let's keep on speculating. I care about the product on the field..KB is ok, but he doesn't  win games. And when you get tired of this go back to RM, he's always good for a few negative pages.

This times 100.  

KB has been out since July 23rd.

Say in an parallel universe, KB is suspended for the exact same thing on the 23rd and no one notices or cares, for arguments sake.  There's no national uproar, there's no one taking shots at JA...it goes relatively unnoticed.  It's brought up here on this board in passing because we're a savvy bunch who pay close attention to details but that's about it. 

Is there any chance KB comes back tonite?

3 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Glad to hear you care about the product on the field.  The rest of us here clearly don't.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My point (which I didn't phrase very well) is that if JA decided to enforce a non-compete then Brown would have no choice but to eat what's put in front of him, because any recourse he might have would be mooted by his contract running out long before anybody could hear his complaint.  Angelos wouldn't have to settle, just let process take its course. 

7 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

What exactly does this mean?  Who are the losers?  We all know the Angelos' are ridiculous petty owners, so no news there.  If you're saying the fans are losers because we couldn't listen to an announcer for two weeks, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.  

The Angelos' suck as owners.  That has been confirmed in the past two weeks.  I see nothing else that has come from this that makes ANYONE a winner or loser.

What I mean is Kevin gets to take the high road while knowing that the people who did this to him have been mercilessly dunked on around the game of baseball for the past week. He gets to be the guy that rallies O's fans with his return. He benefits enormously from the great PR week he just had. Everyone came to his defense and lauded praise on him. He's a household name now, because everyone loves an opportunity to dump on Angelos. Rightly so, of course.

John Angelos loses a PR battle, though it's something he can shrug off of course. But like I said in the other thread, anyone who was on the fence is squarely off it now. This is the event that really started to shift him into pariah territory. He is now universally disliked, and the press is at his heels about the lease to boot. 

The fans lose because it was a bummer to have this go on during a magical season. It was a huge bummer not just because we didn't get to hear Kevin do games, but because it really shone a light on the reality of Angelos as a younger, worse, Peter. The rot behind the scenes became clearer, and it was harder to enjoy the team's successes. 

I'm glad this small chapter is done, but the story is far from over. Kevin Brown gets to write whatever epilogue he wants now. Good for him. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

What I mean is Kevin gets to take the high road while knowing that the people who did this to him have been mercilessly dunked on around the game of baseball for the past week. He gets to be the guy that rallies O's fans with his return. He benefits enormously from the great PR week he just had. Everyone came to his defense and lauded praise on him. He's a household name now, because everyone loves an opportunity to dump on Angelos. Rightly so, of course.

John Angelos loses a PR battle, though it's something he can shrug off of course. But like I said in the other thread, anyone who was on the fence is squarely off it now. This is the event that really started to shift him into pariah territory. He is now universally disliked, and the press is at his heels about the lease to boot. 

The fans lose because it was a bummer to have this go on during a magical season. It was a huge bummer not just because we didn't get to hear Kevin do games, but because it really shone a light on the reality of Angelos as a younger, worse, Peter. The rot behind the scenes became clearer, and it was harder to enjoy the team's successes. 

I'm glad this small chapter is done, but the story is far from over. Kevin Brown gets to write whatever epilogue he wants now. Good for him. 

I understand your take, it just didn't bother me all that much.  I care about the on field product, not who's calling the game, and I didn't learn anything new that I didn't already know about our ridiculous owners.

Truth be told, I miss Gary Thorne.  

Just now, Dipper9 said:

I understand your take, it just didn't bother me all that much.  I care about the on field product, not who's calling the game, and I didn't learn anything new that I didn't already know about our ridiculous owners.

Truth be told, I miss Gary Thorne.  

Sure, I get that too. For me I think I was so incensed because of the timing with the great season, the '83 anniversary game, the absurdity of the reason, etc. I miss Gary too, but at least that was during the offseason and probably mostly about money. Gary's had a long career. Kevin is just getting started, so it felt extra cruel. 

I think another thing about it was just how much it made me realize how awful the MASN broadcast is without him and Ben. It's such an amateur production compared to other RSNs. It's like high school AV club, for real.