John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, deward said:

While the Braves had a number they wouldn't go past for Freeman, they also immediately reallocated that money to a strong replacement.

And the Braves have actually attempted to keep their core of players together.

John Angelos would rather cry to the New York Times about how much it's going to cost him to keep this group of players instead of trying to work out any early contract extensions.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yes, but as many have discussed on the board the Angelos family will not be able to afford the estate taxes associated with the Orioles. High probability they will sell the team. 

If his wife inherits the team, no taxes are due.  It’s when she dies and ownership passes to the sons that taxes are due. That’s pretty important since Georgia reportedly is only 81 years old.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think the confusion is, if Peter dies she needs to pay an estate tax and couldn't afford to, thus they would have to sell the team. She does not have to pay an estate tax as a spouse, and with John having her ear over Louis, they could potentially own the team for another decade or more, if she remains in good health.

Limited tax accounting experience here, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it has to do with the stepped-up basis they get on selling the franchise after it is inherited.  Instead of the capital gains on a sale of the team being less the original purchase price when Peter bought the team, after inheritance, they get the basis based off the market value of the team at the time it is in inherited which would create much less taxable gain on a sale.   

• Thanks 1

The Braves really did a great job of getting people to sign long-term for way under market value. Which one of our guys takes any of these deals? The only one that might end up meh, is having to pay Olson until he's 37 years old. I'd bet my house that Gunnar wouldn't sign a 10-year deal at 22 years old for 200M, he's getting a 400+M contract at 27 or 28.

image.thumb.png.5ae4d8ad55d3ee0319ef094d5a2e4f58.png

26 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

What a downer Angelos is.  I guess no hope to sign our big 3, Gunnar, Adley and GRod.  There will more later.  He wants to increase prices and build a better community.  Are we really a small market team?  If we are how can we compete with the big market teams who will sign our stars??

Tampa is a small market and they can sign their players.  Baltimore needs a special name, what about micro market?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Where has the profit of the 5 years of having teams that tanked? 

He shouldn’t be approved by MLB when Peter passes. 

Georgia owns the team when Peter passes, so John does by proxy I'd assume, as he appears to have her ear.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Braves really did a great job of getting people to sign long-term for way under market value. Which one of our guys takes any of these deals? The only one that might end up meh, is having to pay Olson until he's 37 years old. I'd bet my house that Gunnar wouldn't sign a 10-year deal at 22 years old for 200M, he's getting a 400+M contract at 27 or 28.

image.thumb.png.5ae4d8ad55d3ee0319ef094d5a2e4f58.png

Do you think any of the listed players regrets those deals? I think every agent wants to avoid being the guy who gets Acuna Jr. stuck to that contract. Woof

17 minutes ago, deward said:

While the Braves had a number they wouldn't go past for Freeman, they also immediately reallocated that money to a strong replacement.

No they didn't.  They made a trade for a cheaper player ($21mm AAV vs $27mm AAV) over a longer period of time.  

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Tampa is a small market and they can sign their players.  Baltimore needs a special name, what about micro market?

Other than Franco who did they sign long term? I know they bought out some arb years, but who am I missing that they gave a long term extension to other than Franco?

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Where has the profit of the 5 years of having teams that tanked? 

He shouldn’t be approved by MLB when Peter passes. 

While I agree with your post in spirit, MLB won't NOT approve of an owner because they're thrifty and a douchebag.

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is the thing that's obnoxious...if Tampa can do these things, there's no reason we can't.  

It just sucks to have a cheesedick owner like this who's inserted himself into the conversation about this team a few times this year...when we should all just be enjoying everything and not worried about the future.

40 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It’s not about keeping “all” of the core together long term. Heck the Astros haven’t even done that. But I believe it’s a pretty clear signal that they won’t be spending to keep “any” of the core long term. And what that means for people like Elias and Sig who will have other options.

This is why I am in favor of bringing up Holliday and Kjerstad at the beginning of next season and maybe even making some impact trades that cost serious prospects (beyond the aforementioned). 

This is a short term window at best 5 years tops before Angelos nukes/destroys the thing.

He said they won't be able to keep everyone together.  He didn't say they wouldn't extend anyone.  Now if Gunnar et al. is willing to take an Acuna style deal and we aren't doing that, I will be pissed.  In the meantime, none of us have any idea what any of the young players are willing to take.  Moreover, many wouldn't want to sign Adley to a long term deal due to age at completion. 

Again, I don't like Angelos, but I do think some of this is a bit of an overreaction.  We also don't know what happens if Camden Yards starts to draw much better.  Maybe that would provide some room for some of the young guys.  Finally, if the team is close to a championship, don't think that hubris might encourage spending before Georgia dies so that they can win a championship.