John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

56 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They would have to sign a lease that would be long enough to pay off the bonds. Heard around at least 13 -15 years. That is if they want improvements made. Unless the state house rewrites the bill ,probably not happening, the Orioles would get very little in state money for stadium improvements.  Of course John could pay for stadium improvements himself.

But the state house can't force the Orioles to sign the lease...and I can imagine John Angelos using the Angelos delaying tactics too long and ending up with a short-term lease that just treads water until there's a new owner. 

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

eh, "sell himself" I feel like is too negative a phrasing.. as if it reflects upon his character. 

He absolutely should try to get the most money possible over his career. He could both sign an extension now with the O's and still leave in the middle of his prime to get a monster contract.

A free agent is a mercenary for hire. 

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yes, but as many have discussed on the board the Angelos family will not be able to afford the estate taxes associated with the Orioles. High probability they will sell the team. 

Interesting, I was reading about the lawsuits amongst the family and read this and was curious. The "While Georgia Angelos stands to inherit the franchise tax-free upon her husband's death" is the confusing part. I know the kids would have to pay an estate tax, but I'm not certain about a spouse.

Edit: Yeah there is an actual tax law that says spouses do not have to pay estate taxes.

Both Barker and Kaplan suggest that any sale of the franchise, if it were to arise, could wait until after Peter Angelos passes away. While Georgia Angelos stands to inherit the franchise tax free upon her husband’s death, Louis Angelos’ court filings suggest a sale while Peter Angelos is still alive would have “a sizable tax hit.”

Edited by Malike

2 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

A free agent is a mercenary for hire. 

Still too harsh... the word "Mercenary" carries a negative connotation in this context, like we're questioning his ethics for trying to realize his market value or calling him a turncoat.

An accurate way to say it would be, "He will sell his services to the highest bidder." He's not selling HIMSELF. He's not any more a mercenary than each of us is to our employers. In fact he's much less of a mercenary, because I can leave my employment agreement for more money the very minute I become worth more on the market.

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Still too harsh... the word "Mercenary" carries a negative connotation in this context, like we're questioning his ethics for trying to realize his market value or calling him a turncoat.

An accurate way to say it would be, "He will sell his services to the highest bidder." He's not selling HIMSELF. He's not any more a mercenary than each of us is to our employers. In fact he's much less of a mercenary, because I can leave my employment agreement for more money the very minute I become worth more on the market.

The Yankees are the enemy. If he goes there he is a turncoat. That's why I don't want Mussina in the Orioles HOF. He was finished with me the moment he went to the highest bidder. 

If the Chinese or Russian Army wanted to pay me more money than the American Army I wouldn't leave. 

Edited by brucewayne

This really doesn't seem like much of anything to me.  Was there anyone here who thought they were going to be able to keep their entire core?  Even the Braves (Freddie Freeman) didn't.  As for the Kevin Brown thing, if it was a mistake then why wasn't it rectified as soon as it became a story?

1 minute ago, brucewayne said:

The Yankees are the enemy. If he goes there he is a turncoat. That's why I don't want Mussina in the Orioles HOF. He was finished with me the moment he went to the highest bidder. 

Loyalty works both ways.

I don't really care anymore about the Mussina thing, and I definitely won't fault Gunnar for going there if they make him the best offer. It's the ultimate deflecting of blame. If our ownership cared to have him longer, they would pay him. If they don't, then you're naive to think that he would refuse to take the Yankees money out of some one-sided loyalty to the org that didn't even want to buy out his arb years (assuming they don't).

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

Interesting, I was reading about the lawsuits amongst the family and read this and was curious. The "While Georgia Angelos stands to inherit the franchise tax-free upon her husband's death" is the confusing part. I know the kids would have to pay an estate tax, but I'm not certain about a spouse.

Edit: Yeah there is an actual tax law that says spouses do not have to pay estate taxes.

Both Barker and Kaplan suggest that any sale of the franchise, if it were to arise, could wait until after Peter Angelos passes away. While Georgia Angelos stands to inherit the franchise tax free upon her husband’s death, Louis Angelos’ court filings suggest a sale while Peter Angelos is still alive would have “a sizable tax hit.”

I don't know why people think there won't be a tax hit if she sells the franchise.  I am not a tax attorney or an accountant, but don't know why there wouldn't be a similar hit if she were to sell the team.  There is an estate tax hit if she passes and the team goes to the kids.  

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

Loyalty works both ways.

I don't really care anymore about the Mussina thing, and I definitely won't fault Gunnar for going there if they make him the best offer. It's the ultimate deflecting of blame. If our ownership cared to have him longer, they would pay him. If they don't, then you're naive to think that he would refuse to take the Yankees money out of some one-sided loyalty to the org that didn't even want to buy out his arb years (assuming they don't).

You don't get it. Angelos cannot outbid Cohen. Do you understand how much more money Cohen has? 

Just now, baltfan said:

I don't know why people think there won't be a tax hit if she sells the franchise.  I am not a tax attorney or an accountant, but don't know why there wouldn't be a similar hit if she were to sell the team.  There is an estate tax hit if she passes and the team goes to the kids.  

I think the confusion is, if Peter dies she needs to pay an estate tax and couldn't afford to, thus they would have to sell the team. She does not have to pay an estate tax as a spouse, and with John having her ear over Louis, they could potentially own the team for another decade or more, if she remains in good health.

7 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

If the Chinese or Russian Army wanted to pay me more money than the American Army I wouldn't leave. 

There's a pretty significant difference between a person playing baseball for a living and a person in the military in that scenario.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I think the confusion is, if Peter dies she needs to pay an estate tax and couldn't afford to, thus they would have to sell the team. She does not have to pay an estate tax as a spouse, and with John having her ear over Louis, they could potentially own the team for another decade or more, if she remains in good health.

I don't think they are selling anytime soon. There's a lot of money to milk out of the team and taxpayers before they sell.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I don't think they are selling anytime soon. There's a lot of money to milk out of the team and taxpayers before they sell.

I think the only scenario that they sell is when both parents pass away and they cannot afford to pay the estate tax on the team. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

The implication is that somehow John Angelos had nothing to do with taking Kevin Brown off the air...I find that hard to believe.

Sounds just like a typical politician (both parties, let's not derail this). 

Announce, " We're launching an internal investigation." and then do nothing.  Was anyone besides Kevin Brown disciplined let alone fired?  No, and the reason is he's lying yet again.  It's insufferable.  Are we supposed to be so naive to believe that John was so out ot touch he didn't notice Kevin Brown was off the air for an extended period and not ask why?  "Don't p--- down my back and tell me it's raining.   They gave Kevin the Cool Hand Luke treatment, throw him in the box until he "gits his mind riiiight."   

The State Senate president has lost  patience and said so publicly.  John tries to cry poor in the NY fishwrap.  John gave $6,000 maximum to the Governor's campaign and lauds him over and over.   $600 M doesn't cut it; surely, the Governor will pony up.  While's he's at it, the  Governor can also fight my losing MASN battles for me, also.  Sorry, the Governor claims he's going to have to tighten the belt.  

Someone suggested like they do in Oakland and have "Sell the team" t-shirts.  That'll likely getting you kicked out by John's ushers.   Perhaps if it just reads "Sell" in orange letters, the First Amendment will prevail.

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Upvote 1