AL East Winner Vs WC

Pat Kelly

Depends how it goes down.  Obviously I’ll be somewhat disappointed if they don’t win the division, no matter what. But if we play .600 ball over the final stretch and Tampa plays .700, I’ll feel like Tampa went and earned it despite our good play.  If we suddenly play .500 ball the last month, I’ll feel like we didn’t run through the tape.   So we’ll see.  

18 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If we're the top WC we face the Twins in a short 3 game series right?

Last wildcard gets the Central champs.      Top wildcard does earn home field advantage against the 2nd wildcard, so whoever loses between BAL/TB probably will host whoever finishes 2nd in the AL West.

-Castillo, Kirby and Gilbert

-Framber, Verlander and Brown

-Scherzer, Montgomery and (Eovaldi??)

Its possible some of those Aces will be off the Tuesday-Thursday chessboard if they have to pitch Sunday Game 162's.     We'll face the same choice with Grayson and Bradish if it is down to the last 48 hours.

Even with the Orioles an also ran, MLB's change the last few years to having all of the Game 162's at the same start time has been bananas fun.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all about matchups anyway. I hope they win the division just so they have one less series to play but overall, I would argue that being the 6th seed is better than being the 4th seed.

It’s waaaaayyyyy better to be the 6 than 4.  You get Minnesota in the first round and avoid the best team in the AL until the ALCS. MLB really needs to make some changes to the playoff structure. It should just be the two best records get the bye and then re-seed after the wildcard round. 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It’s waaaaayyyyy better to be the 6 than 4.  You get Minnesota in the first round and avoid the best team in the AL until the ALCS. MLB really needs to make some changes to the playoff structure. It should just be the two best records get the bye and then re-seed after the wildcard round. 

Should just do away with the 3rd WC. That was just a money-making gimmick.

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

John Angelos and the 2-3 home playoff games it guarantees may not agree there....

34 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Should just do away with the 3rd WC. That was just a money-making gimmick.

Should do away with divisions altogether and have a balanced schedule. Then have top three teams advance to the postseason with #1 getting a first round bye. I realize this will never happen because $$$ trumps the quality of the product. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

There is a huge payoff to winning the division versus being the 4th seed.  

That's why it frustrates me that Hyde/Elias seem to be complacent about making changes that could help us win the division--such as giving Ortiz another chance, and cutting the number of starts we give to Gibson/Flaherty/Irvin.    

Or even not letting Cole Irvin face Christian Walker third time through the order in a 2-1 game!

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Or even not letting Cole Irvin face Christian Walker third time through the order in a 2-1 game!

Irvin is mediocre.  Flaherty is mediocre.  Gibson is inconsistent and often terrible.  I know that these guys have to get some starts to make sure that the Big Three get enough rest, but when there are days off in the schedule, you can often skip one of Irvin/Flaherty/Gibson and still give each of the Big Three five days rest between starts.  

Daily roster management wise it seems like it would make sense to option Irvin for an extra reliever for these next 5 games.

I'd guessed earlier the Skip a Back of Rotation guy might occur before the Fenway game next Friday to get Irvin out and Kremer in to the Tampa series.

If that is the play, Irvin as the 6th or 7th starter doesn't have anything to do for a couple weeks.      And perhaps John Means is good enough he doesn't have anything to do indefinitely.