Rays series

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

Cool image.. where do you find those? 
It seems to me that the first two innings , there were a couple of bad strike calls that set the tone for the rest of the game. As another person on this thread mentioned, even the Fox announcers were surprised. At the same time, the Rays pitcher has *incredible* range of movement on that ball... some of them could have been confusing to the eye, and I DID see the strikezone graphic have to adjust itself one time to report accurately.

It's a website with an X account.

I was super frustrated with the strike zone and thought the homer Bradish gave up was due to frustration (and obviously hanging one on the next pitch) but I went back and rewatched some of those moments. It appears the Fox broadcast's strike zone border shifted from live feed to the replay. Which probably led to turning close calls made live to look like terrible calls during the replay.

Check this out from the pitch immediately before the 7th inning homer.

1. Image with the 1 in top left is live. (Adley does a great framing job -- much more believable than framed perceived strikes from earlier in the game). You can see the faint zone border.
  2. Image with the 2 in top left is the replay. Note the strike zone graphic.

image.thumb.png.1f6a035633acf69605ac884525747d04.pngimage.thumb.png.370931e21bb2431faf1b9651b6097afd.png

Ugh.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Three big plays not made.

Hicks double clutches on a throw to the plate allowing a runner to score.  He has the arm and the throw was on line. If he throws it as soon as he gets it the runner is out at the plate.

Adley comes up with a runner at third and one out and grounds into a double play.

Bradish thinks he struck out Raley in the seventh on a pitch the umpire called a ball. One the next pitch Raley homers.   

None of these plays were errors but all of them are plays the O's need to make better to beat the Rays.

I thought Raley swung at the second pitch but it was ruled a check swing. FOX didn't bother to show the replay.

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I thought Raley swung at the second pitch but it was ruled a check swing. FOX didn't bother to show the replay.

I watched it just now and it's hard to slow it down enough via MLB.TV but at least they appealed to third base.

FWIW, I don't think he went. His wrists never seemed to break, which helped his cause.

image.thumb.png.4aaf53f282d1597354ac0b04deb97465.png

22 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

Cool image.. where do you find those? 
It seems to me that the first two innings , there were a couple of bad strike calls that set the tone for the rest of the game. As another person on this thread mentioned, even the Fox announcers were surprised. At the same time, the Rays pitcher has *incredible* range of movement on that ball... some of them could have been confusing to the eye, and I DID see the strikezone graphic have to adjust itself one time to report accurately.

Agree with you that the ball seemed to be moving a lot for both pitchers, moreso for Civale -- which also could contribute to the perception of poor strike zone management when you factor in the bad Fox zone border on replays.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

Who knows if any more of these games are going to be played on Fox or not? I watch on mlb.tv but my family in Oregon would like to watch. 

I searched online but couldn't find anything.... seems that College Football is going to dominate TV coverage from here on out.

Tonight's game is on Apple TV. Sat and Sun are back on MASN/mlb.tv.

As for the game last night (and this week).. the offense (w the exception of Gunnar) seems to be pressing. These guys are professionals yes, but they are also human. The pressure has to be getting to them a bit. Plus, like last Sep, maybe they are wearing down a bit. Yes, you have to tip the cap to the Rays bullpen. But what about the 5th inning? Bases loaded, none out, and all you can do is score one run? That's the epitome of pressing. Adley hit his ball hard, but right at 2B for a DP. Maybe be a little more patient?

As for tonight, I feel like a reverse jinx is in order with Flaherty. I bet he goes 6, gives up 2-3 runs. The problem is what is our pressing anemic offense going to do against Efflin?

And big picture, as much as I wanted the division, I am lowering expectations and will just be happy getting in. These games are valuable experience as we start the window of being in contention.

That said, I will still be in the game thread complaining and being hyperbolic because, you know, its the game thread. :)

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are times when I really hate reading the Hangout, though I can’t help myself.  I guarantee you the players are not as panicked as many of the posters here appear to be.  The fact that the team hasn’t been swept in a series is highly unusual and I think it has spoiled some fans into expecting that this team will never experience any significant adversity.   But, even good teams do.  The players will weather the storm.  I’m not saying they’ll definitely win the division, but they’re not going to curl up into a ball and suck on their thumbs.

What I may never get is the way a lot of folks use online forums and social media the way I use yelling at the TV.  I'll sometimes say nonsense in the moment when nobody but my family can hear, and even with that they probably think I'm out of my mind. But at least it's just three people and two dogs with that opinion.

But a lot of folks will take their time, even hours later, and type out completely nonsensical emotional responses to things that happen in a game so that thousands or even millions will read it and it's archived for all time.  Yes, as the Oriole batter is whiffing on a 100 mph fastball I may say some choice words, but I'm not going to wait six hours and then post that he's a talent-less idiot who folds up in the clutch. By then I like to think I've reigned in my autonomous lizard brain and its stupid reactions.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What I may never get is the way a lot of folks use online forums and social media the way I use yelling at the TV.  I'll sometimes say nonsense in the moment when nobody but my family can hear, and even with that they probably think I'm out of my mind. But at least it's just three people and two dogs with that opinion.

But a lot of folks will take their time, even hours later, and type out completely nonsensical emotional responses to things that happen in a game so that thousands or even millions will read it and it's archived for all time.  Yes, as the Oriole batter is whiffing on a 100 mph fastball I may say some choice words, but I'm not going to wait six hours and then post that he's a talent-less idiot who folds up in the clutch. By then I like to think I've reigned in my autonomous lizard brain and its stupid reactions.

People need to vent. Better they yell at us then at their wives or kids

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are times when I really hate reading the Hangout, though I can’t help myself.  I guarantee you the players are not as panicked as many of the posters here appear to be.  The fact that the team hasn’t been swept in a series is highly unusual and I think it has spoiled some fans into expecting that this team will never experience any significant adversity.   But, even good teams do.  The players will weather the storm.  I’m not saying they’ll definitely win the division, but they’re not going to curl up into a ball and suck on their thumbs.

For those of us that have been around since the early 2000's we've seen this movie before, Frobby. When the team does well a few things happen. It seems that some people lose rational thought and freak out over every decision and the doom and gloom starts, there is also an influx of new posters, which is a good thing for the site overall, but they generally come into places like the game threads with 30 or 40 posts and just say things like this team is dead, season is over, just a bunch of reactionary posts and for some strange reason, people just type things without re-reading it first and it comes across quite poorly. It's a nice bandwagon to jump on when the team is cruising, it gets near insufferable when they have a 3 game-losing skid.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

People need to vent. Better they yell at us then at their wives or kids

LOL.

My SO kept saying last night, "They lost the last two nights.  They're really going to lose tonight."  She said it about six times throughout the course of the game.

When I announced to her they had indeed lost last night, she repeated it again, "They lost the last two nights.  I can't believe they lost tonight."

I had to in my most restrained voice say, "I know they lost the last two nights.  You don't have to keep repeating it."

Then I went out the garage and had a nice beer in silence.  LOL.

I'm maturing.

• Haha 2