Kjerstad possibly promoted?

OriolesMagic83

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Urias has looked bad in his time playing first base this season. He's not used to the angle and he tends to misjudge the spin on balls hit that way.

For that reason, I wouldn't consider Urias as a legitimate option for 1st base in meaningful games. I would consider him options at 3B and 2B.

I don’t care for Ramon at 1st, but Hyde has put him there several times, including tonight.  He’s logged 63 innings at first so far and is certainly in the mix for getting some more time there.  

22 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mounty hasn’t been killing it lately.  Maybe the shoulder has been an issue longer than we know. 

Yeah why would you tell on yourself now?  You want to play in the post season.  This has the potential to sit him like Markakis. 

45 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Wow.  Quite a message being sent to Cowser too.  

Part of that one might be "No 45 days for you" so your full slate of plate appearances stay in the Rookie of the Year chase.

My gut guess this offseason is one of Kjerstad/Cowser take one job from Hays/Santander/Mountcastle/O'Hearn, but it could be almost any combination.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If it's an injury replacement, does that only work if the player is on the IL the rest of the season?

I think so. This says that the player the call up is replacing has to be on the 60-day IL....

https://www.mlb.com/news/september-callups-and-roster-rules-explained-c198674756

However, if a club wants to add a player who was not on the 40-man roster but was in the organization, it can petition the Commissioner's Office if that player is replacing someone who has been on the 60-day DL for at least 60 days.

4 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

That’s true. He’s 1 for his last 18 and hasn’t looked comfortable.  

It should be added though that he drew 4 walks during that stretch. Ironic that it took a bad shoulder to force Mountcastle not to swing at pitches outside of the strike zone.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

Cowser cant play 1st.  I dont read that much into it.  I think they just like Kjerstads more prolific homerun potential.

I'm sure Cowser could play 1B, he just hasn't logged any time there.  I think Elias sees Cowser more as an OF only d/t his athleticism.  Kjerstad seems somewhat limited defensively, more like Santander than a terrible fielder.  I think that's why Kjerstad is getting reps at 1B. 

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just noticed the date, and this article is out of date. It's under the old MLBPA agreement.

Yeah, it sounds like the player being replaced would have to be out for the year, which hopefully is not the case for Mountcastle.  I was hoping that Kjerstad could come up and play and then Mountcastle could come off the IL and both could play in the postseason.

9 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

lol good point. Then does Heston play first as well?

Yes but apparently not well.

I think this is purely for a bat and nothing else. My guess is Kjerstad DH’s more than anything. I don’t care that they chose him over Cowser, I just wonder why they did? Cowser has been hitting better.