Kjerstad possibly promoted?

OriolesMagic83

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hope Mountcastle is ok. All of our depth, minus Ortiz, is LH. Maybe we do this just to get a look at Kjerstad because he has MOO potential. If we wanted an all RH option then Ortiz at 2nd and Westburg at 1B works.

Also, we could be seeing what Kjerstad looks like because the odds are Hicks won’t stay healthy. 

Jordan Westburg has never played 1B. Why would they decide to try that during the last few weeks of the season?

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Jordan Westburg has never played 1B. Why would they decide to try that during the last few weeks of the season?

Because these guys have played baseball their whole lives. Steve Pearce had never played 2nd then started there for us a couple of games. Westburg would be fine at 1B. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but apparently not well.

I think this is purely for a bat and nothing else. My guess is Kjerstad DH’s more than anything. I don’t care that they chose him over Cowser, I just wonder why they did? Cowser has been hitting better.

Maybe it’s because Heston has better power numbers? Not sure if he actually does but maybe that’s the reasoning? Maybe it’s the 45 day thing with Cowser? Also, what number do you think he’ll wear? Stick with 75?

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but apparently not well.

I think this is purely for a bat and nothing else. My guess is Kjerstad DH’s more than anything. I don’t care that they chose him over Cowser, I just wonder why they did? Cowser has been hitting better.

Either it's a message to Cowser or it's a reward for Kjerstad.  I'm guessing the latter.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since his return to the minors on August 16) and before last night’s game), Cowser has an .824 OPS.  Kjerstad has been at .729 in that same period.  

Thats what I've been thinking about. Kjerstad hasnt been hot. I guess they just want another 1B? 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Either it's a message to Cowser or it's a reward for Kjerstad.  I'm guessing the latter.

It should be the latter because what message would you be sending?  “Even though you are doing better and provide more value in the field and (maybe) on the bases and fit seamlessly in the clubhouse, we don’t like the BA when you were here”?

Edited by Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It should be the latter because what message would you be sending?  “Even though you are doing better and provide more value in the field and (maybe) on the bases and fit seamlessly in the clubhouse, we don’t like the BA when you were here”?

While I'm not making accusations we don't have complete information.

10 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Isn't John Lester still on the 40 man roster? You would think a 1st basemen who's already on the 40 man would be the choice if they just wanted a 1st baseman.

Nope he got DFA’d back in July to make space for Fuji, cleared waivers and placed back in Norfolk. 

Current 40 man roster; https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am thinking it is a bit of both.  Remember Elias’s comments about Grayson when they send him down before the season.  They clearly were trying to light a fire under him.