Adam Jones retires today.

Jim'sKid26

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

"The Orioles announced late last month that longtime Baltimore star Adam Jones will formally retire as a member of the Orioles on Sept. 15. Jones will be honored in a pre-game at Camden Yards tonight, giving Baltimore fans that rooted him on as the heart and soul of many contending O’s clubs — and throughout his heroics for Team USA in the 2017 World Baseball Classic — to bid farewell to a franchise favorite. Jones made five All-Star teams, won four Gold Gloves and captured a Silver Slugger Award as an Oriole. From 2008-18, the center fielder played in 1613 games as an Oriole, batting .279/.319/.459 with 263 home runs and 90 steals. He helped fuel postseason runs in 2012, 2014 and 2016 and played a major role in the Orioles being one of the American League’s winningest teams during his peak years in Baltimore."

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Say what you will about Jones, he was a very good player on some very good Oriole teams. He was also an excellent and active member of the Baltimore community. He deserves the accolades, IMHO. Congratulations, Mr. Jones!

Was anyone inclined to say anything bad about Jones?

Just now, orioles119 said:

I remember some disparaging remarks regarding blowing bubbles, but that's about it.

Oh, I was just making a joke.

I'm always amused by the "say what you will about so and so, but he's actually great."

If he's so great, why are so many people eager to say what they will?

Adam Jones wasn't a perfect player, and surely isn't a perfect man, but at his retirement ceremony I'm sure nobody is eager to bring up any of his faults.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think a case might be able to be made for him.  If someone is going to do a WAR tally and leave it at that, he might fall short...but in terms of his importance to the franchise, being a leader, etc, I'd say he's up there.  

He's thus far the most important Oriole of the 21st century imo.

Does anyone disagree with that?

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Top 20 Oriole of all time?

He'd be close, but probably not.   We've had many stars and great talents in this franchise over the years,  so cracking our top 20 isn't easy.  Now if you are just talking position players,  that's a different story.  But if your 20 includes pitchers then I think that likely knocks him out of the top 20, but it's close. 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

He's thus far the most important Oriole of the 21st century imo.

Does anyone disagree with that?

I think Manny could have been if they didn't screw up keeping him.  Gunnar could lay claim to that title in the next few years.

If we're including managers, I'd say Buck might be the most important Oriole of the 21st century.  But I think Jones probably takes that title outright.

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Top 20 Oriole of all time?

Great Topic - Simple Answer is Yes

1. Ripken

2. B. Robinson

3. Palmer

4. F. Robinson

5. Murray

6. Weaver

7. Mussina

8. Powell

9. Blair

10. Grich

11. Anderson

12. Jones

13. Belanger

14. McNally

15. Singleton

16. Machado

17. Markakis

18. Roberts

19. Mora

20. Bumbry 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ripken and Brooks are, without question, the 2 most beloved Os players ever.

Is Jones third?  I think he’s ahead of Nick and obviously any player today. The only players have a chance to be ahead of him are Palmer, Frank or Murray imo. 

Palmer.