Who do you want starting game 3? (Update: Kremer will start)

O's84

Who do you want starting game 3?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting game 3?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/23 at 23:00

I went with Gibson because of veteranocity.

I've always thought Kremer was a bit of an emotional player.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I could see it getting over top of him in this kind of environment.

I kind of feel that was what happened to Rodriguez, who is similar to Kremer as an emotional performer.

The environment in Arlington will be charged.  It's a dome, and blood is in the water.

It's going to be a punch in the face to our guys, who have, mostly, never played a road playoff game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I went with Gibson because of veteranocity.

I've always thought Kremer was a bit of an emotional player.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I could see it getting over top of him in this kind of environment.

I kind of feel that was what happened to Rodriguez, who is similar to Kremer as an emotional performer.

The environment in Arlington will be charged.  It's a dome, and blood is in the water.

It's going to be a punch in the face to our guys, who have, mostly, never played a road playoff game.

Interesting perspective and worth considering. I voted for Kremer because he has better stuff than Gibson and this is a Rangers lineup that absolutely destroys mediocre pitching.

This team is relatively inexperienced and to me it looked like a lot of these players were pressing this weekend. Gibson is less likely to be phased by the crowd in Arlington on Tuesday night and just maybe he can have a Joe Saunders like performance in the 2012 wild card which was also at the Rangers.

The Orioles had 15 occasions where they lost at least 2 games in a row, including two streaks of 4 games and two streaks of 3 games.   That means there were 15 opportunities to stop a losing streak at 2 games.  11 of the 15 times it was successfully stopped at 2 games, twice it was successfully stopped at 3 games, and 2 times it was successfully stopped at 4 games.  

Dean Kremer pitched 8 times in games where the O’s had lost 2 in a row.  Six times, the streak ended there.   Twice, he failed to stop the streak.   He had by far the most chances to break up a losing streak of any of our pitchers.   

Kyle Bradish pitched 4 times following a 2-game streak, once following a 3 game streak.  He stopped the losing streak 3 times and it continued twice.  Two of the 3 times he broke a losing streak, it was against Texas (though one was the game where he was pulled in the 2nd inning after getting hit in the foot).

Grayson Rodriguez halted all 3 losing streaks he faced, including stopping a 4-gamer during the Tampa series.

Kyle Gibson halted one 2-game losing streak and failed to halt another.  

Cole irvin halted a 4-game losing streak and John Means halted a 3-game streak.  

Jack Flaherty failed to stop a 3-game losing streak in his one streakbuster opportunity.

Though Kremer stopped the losing streak 6 of 8 times he had the chance, I wouldn’t say he pitched great in most of them.  In the 6 successful outings he threw 36.1 innings and allowed 17 ER (4.21 ERA).  In the two unsuccessful ones, he lasted only 6.1 innings and allowed 10 ER.   So together, in his 8 chances he threw 42.2 innings and allowed 27 ER, for a 5.69 ERA.

Gibson pitched well in both his stopper opportunities.  In his successful one, he pitched 6.1 innings and allowed 1 run.  In his unsuccessful one, he threw 6 innings and allowed 2 runs, but the O’s were shut out.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

I looked at our game logs to see how many two-game skids we had this year, and I thought about doing a little write-up. Then I thought to myself, Frobby’s probably already doing this, and his write-up will be infinitely better than whatever I might post. Great information. It’s a tough call for me, Kremer vs. Gibson in Game 3. I think I lean Gibson based on these stats. I think that’s how Hyde will play it as well.

I'm a believer that the veteran in this particular situation should get the nod in game 3. 

I think people have to also remember that Kyle Gipson's FIP was 4.13 compared to Kremer's 4.51. Gibson has never started a playoff game, but has been in 3 games, pitching well in 2 out of 3 relief appearances.