Who significantly steps up their game in 2024?

Frobby

Westburg and Kjerstad but only if Hyde plays they 4-5 games a week. Hyde's preference for vets (Frasier, Hicks, O'Hearn) and gamers like Vavra over higher ranked prospects like Stowers, Ortiz, Cowser still gives me heartburn. I think Elias sent a message when he up played Westburg's promotion and Kjerstad didn't embarrass himself so I have some hope. Could Fontana be a McKenna replacement?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Westburg and Kjerstad but only if Hyde plays they 4-5 games a week. Hyde's preference for vets (Frasier, Hicks, O'Hearn) and gamers like Vavra over higher ranked prospects like Stowers, Ortiz, Cowser still gives me heartburn. I think Elias sent a message when he up played Westburg's promotion and Kjerstad didn't embarrass himself so I have some hope. Could Fontana be a McKenna replacement?

Westburg was on the team for 86 games.  He played in 68, started 54.  In that period:

Frazier 66 games, 54 starts

Urias 63 games, 50 starts

So, I don’t think Hyde really preferred the veterans.  He juggled them all about equally.  For next year, now that Westburg has established a decent baseline, I don’t expect Frazier to return or be replaced with another veteran.  Ortiz and Holliday are the ones who will impact his playing time.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Westburg was on the team for 86 games.  He played in 68, started 54.  In that period: Frazier 66 games, 54 starts Urias 63 games, 50 starts

So, I don’t think Hyde really preferred the veterans.  He juggled them all about equally.  For next year, now that Westburg has established a decent baseline, I don’t expect Frazier to return or be replaced with another veteran.  Ortiz and Holliday are the ones who will impact his playing time.

Frobby, I agree with the above comments, I wasn't referring to Westburg's usage. My heartburn was with Stowers, Ortiz, Cowser usage earlier in the season. I really believe Elias sent a message to Hyde when he up played Westburg's promotion, "play him".  Stowers came up in 2022 and did fairly well but still got jerked around in 2023 and sent down. I hope the way Westburg and to a lesser extent Kjerstad were used late in the year is how things go in 2024. Hope springs eternal.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For next year, now that Westburg has established a decent baseline, I don’t expect Frazier to return or be replaced with another veteran.  Ortiz and Holliday are the ones who will impact his playing time.

Perhaps also Mayo if he stays at 3B.

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:55 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

Connor Norby has a bit of a Jeff Kent feel to me. 

I was thinking the same thing. Not as big as Kent, but a similar player. I’m not sure he ver plays much at 2B as an Oriole. With Westburg, Gunnar, Mayo, Ortiz and Holliday around, it doesn’t seem likely. But I would like to see his bat stick around. 

Could Norby platoon with maybe Cowser next year in LF? Should they move Hays? I’m warming up to it. Hays just does not bring enough offense, though his defense in our OF is mostly very good. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Not as big as Kent, but a similar player. I’m not sure he ver plays much at 2B as an Oriole. With Westburg, Gunnar, Mayo, Ortiz and Holliday around, it doesn’t seem likely. But I would like to see his bat stick around. 

Could Norby platoon with maybe Cowser next year in LF? Should they move Hays? I’m warming up to it. Hays just does not bring enough offense, though his defense in our OF is mostly very good. 

I worry about the impact of the new LF wall dimensions on Norby's offensive production. Having said that, he has hit where ever he has played. I agree with you that he likely doesn't see much time at 2B with the O's. 

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I worry about the impact of the new LF wall dimensions on Norby's offensive production. Having said that, he has hit where ever he has played. I agree with you that he likely doesn't see much time at 2B with the O's. 

He has a lot of power to RCF. He has a good approach for Camden Yards. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It seemed like he hit a lot of homers to RF in 2022 and pulled more last year.  He is capable though.

You’re on point there. In the last six weeks or so of 2023, he was back to driving the ball to RCF more often. It is important to have more of a gap to gap approach, in general, and half of the games are with Mt. Waltimore. The other 81 games matter just as much. So, he would not be able to pull as many home runs. Honestly, I would prefer him to be more of a doubles and line drive gap to gap guy. Let him set the table for Gunnar and Adley.