Trade target: Tyler Glasnow

Just Regular

This post is in part about the Rays general payroll situation, and position as this year's toughest competitor for the division championship.

Now that Cot's has rolled forward to 2024, on the league wide summary, it is forecasting the Rays for a hefty $122mm.     66-83-73 are the Rays last three years results, so as much as we consider Santander going beyond Gibson for a 1-year salary to a member of John Angelos' organization, the Rays have an interesting winter ahead.

The big 2024 Rays puzzle pieces: Glasnow 25, Eflin 11*, Margot 10, Arozarena 9, B. Lowe 9, Yandy 8, Springs 5, Civale 4, McClanahan 4.      Springs and McClanahan mostly won't pitch, but probably can't be let go.

I take it as pretty likely Manuel Margot will be James McCann "buy-side traded" to someone interested in covering a goodly amount of that 1/10.     Maybe the Rays use prospect capital to save cash.

The Orioles and Rays for me remain Tier1 entering the 2024 AL East competition, so BAL is probably towards the end of the list TB wants to see Glasnow pitching for.     But a hallmark of efficiency maximization is taking the emotion out of it.

Glasnow the Pitcher there isn't much to say.     I think he's one of the foremost examples of pitchers as trebuchets.     The nastiness is blended by the lab and his immense physical gifts - he basically just aims high or low.     It is very effective at suppressing runs.     He sold one FA year to his home base org while he was hurt to defer by 1 year the time before he becomes very very rich.     The Sigbot likes brevity of term with Arms.

Until the Orioles have enough championship caliber pitching, Mike Elias' main duty is to know the acquisition cost of any of the world's best pitchers, and actually win an auction once or twice.

*Eflin's 3-years, $40 million structured 11-11-18 is a flag to me Eflin for sale at 1/18 next offseason might be a thing, as the Rays smart guys try to get 2/22 for their Club, plus the trade return if they can make Eflin look better than 1/18.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Glasnow will make 25m next year.  The Rays will trade him but not to the O's.

That’s a very closed-minded view.  The O’s have a low payroll and easily could afford Glasnow.  They might like the idea of a short-term deal, even at a high price.  The length limits the risk.  And then he brings you a draft pick if he’s QO-worthy, which is pretty likely.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a very closed-minded view.  The O’s have a low payroll and easily could afford Glasnow.  They might like the idea of a short-term deal, even at a high price.  The length limits the risk.  And then he brings you a draft pick if he’s QO-worthy, which is pretty likely.  

I think he meant- probably correctly- the Rays wouldn't want to trade him to the O's.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they want to help the Orioles …. But, if they could get something ridiculous they’d probably do it … I dunno…Holiday, Kjerstad, or Mayo? Something that would be hard to say no to.

Its evergreen that Tampa thrives on $$$/WAR surplus value.     They are mostly agnostic, though they are a run prevention org.     Bats of proven quality just cost too much, and they've profited on defense being undervalued.

They've held their Glasnow a long time, so there isn't much surplus value left.

Seth Johnson for Tyler Glasnow....really make the player feel like a commodity.

Joey Ortiz for Tyler Glasnow....they may have a, ummm, SS opening.

Johnson and Ortiz?

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would they want Mullins? He’s close to free agency and just getting more expensive. Who is 12 ? Frazier? He has no value. 

To play CF on a playoff team.  #12 is general idea of a prospect.  Like Seth Johnson mentioned above.

I think there’ll be plenty of interest in Glasnow that the Rays won’t feel like they need to take any offer from the O’s unless it’s significantly better than other offers. We know that Elias isn’t going to be blowing anyone away with his offers, he has a penchant of minor trades of players with little to no path to Baltimore. 

However, the Rays would use any interest from the O’s as a way to squeeze more out from other teams. The best idea would probably be to publicly squash the idea so the Rays can’t use the O’s as a competitor. 

Edited by oriole