Dylan Cease

E-D-D-I-E

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm not giving up 12+ years of what should be two full time players, including one who was the #2 pick in the draft, for two years of Dylan Cease.

It would be a stupid overpay for the Orioles.  We can differ on the semantics.

Yea, you might be giving up the next Pedro Alvarez.

I'm not giving up 12+ years of what should be two full time players, including one who was the #2 pick in the draft, for two years of Dylan Cease.

It would be a stupid overpay for the Orioles.  We can differ on the semantics.

I agree that’s why you don’t do it although you are painting the rosiest of scenarios and not accounting for all the risk of any prospect.

The other side to that is the 2022 version of cease could put this team over the top and I would gladly trade those 2 for that chance.

I just doubt we see the 2022 Cease again.  

But no, it’s not a crazy overpay.  It’s just a trade we should say no to because there is too much uncertainty with Cease.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What does Kjerstad being the 2nd pick in the draft have to do with it?   Do you want to trade 4th rounder Ortiz for #4 overall Austin Martin?

Just that he is a premier prospect, and not just run of the mill guy.  Talent matters.

In 3 years if Ortiz and Martin are both struggling, Martin is going to continue to receive some opportunities that Ortiz wouldn't.  Just the way it is.

Well, I've been told over and over again that we must clear out a regular spot for Kjerstad asap, and either do the same for Ortiz or trade him into such a situation, likewise asap.  So it seems that's the general consensus here.

They could get one of Kjerstad/Cowser/Ortiz and then maybe another minor piece.  I'm still not sure I'd do it, but that is at least a reasonable framework imo.

Reasonable framework to you.   You just need the White Sox to agree that it’s reasonable.  I’m just saying what I think it would take.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree that’s why you don’t do it although you are painting the rosiest of scenarios and not accounting for all the risk of any prospect.

The other side to that is the 2022 version of cease could put this team over the top and I would gladly trade those 2 for that chance.

I just doubt we see the 2022 Cease again.  

But no, it’s not a crazy overpay.  It’s just a trade we should say no to because there is too much uncertainty with Cease.

Well, you say "no" and I say "Hell no."  Fair enough.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Just that he is a premier prospect, and not just run of the mill guy.  Talent matters.

In 3 years if Ortiz and Martin are both struggling, Martin is going to continue to receive some opportunities that Ortiz wouldn't.  Just the way it is.

How many opportunities has Austin Martin gotten so far?   Kjerstad is a really good prospect but premier?   Not so sure.   Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are probably premier in my book.   Do you expect Kjerstad to be better than 2022-23 Santander?

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How many opportunities has Austin Martin gotten so far?   Kjerstad is a really good prospect but premier?   Not so sure.   Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are probably premier in my book.   Do you expect Kjerstad to be better than 2022-23 Santander?

The #2 pick in the draft status will get Kjerstad looks where others don't get them.  

I mean, how many people did Matt Bush get to kill before teams walked away from him?

Just the way it is.

Honestly, I hope that Kjerstad's career turns out that he is seen as a better version of Anthony Santander.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The #2 pick in the draft status will get Kjerstad looks where others don't get them.  

I mean, how many people did Matt Bush get to kill before teams walked away from him?

Just the way it is.

Honestly, I hope that Kjerstad's career turns out that he is seen as a better version of Anthony Santander.

Ok, let’s say the #2 pick gets more opportunities.  How does that add value to the player?  You act is if you wouldn’t trade the #2 pick because he must be really good.

Also, Matt Bush was drafted as a SS.  He got chances because he threw the ball 100 mph and was actually pretty good.  I don’t see Mark Appel getting too many chances.

Edited by RZNJ