Orioles 2024 Position Players Assuming No Free Agents

larrytt

Assuming the Orioles do not sign or resign any free agents (so no Frazier and Hicks), and so using only current Orioles (major or minor leagues), who are your 13 (or 14?) 2024 position players, their position, and role - starter, platoon, utility. (If Jackson Holliday isn't one of your starting infielders, you got some serious explaining!!!) You can choose to designate a current position player for a trade for a pitcher and so leave him off your roster. Optional - your batting orders against righty and lefty pitchers. Also optional - you can put what you think SHOULD happen, and what you think WILL happen. 

Edited by larrytt

My 13 would be:

1. Mullins - CF
2. Hays - LF
3. Santander - RF/DH
4. Kjerstad - RF/DH
5. O'Hearn - DH/1B
6. Mountcastle - 1B/DH
7. Henderson - SS/3B
8. Westburg - 3B/2B
9. Holliday - 2B
10. Ortiz - IF UTIL
11. Rutschman - C
12. McCann - Backup C
13. Hilliard - PH vs RHP/OF UTIL

I would keep the O'Hearn/Mountcastle platoon because it was pretty awesome at times. I would replace Urias with Ortiz. Holliday is my main starter at 2B, but all those IFers would rotate a good bit. Kjerstad spells Santander at times in RF, or DHs when O'Hearn plays 1B (Mounty on the bench). Or he can play some LF on away games to keep Hays fresh. I like Hilliard as a PH vs RHP because he has legit pop, and he can stand there in CF if Mullins can't go. I'd probably add another CF option with 14 players (McKenna if he's still here). 

Edited by interloper

I think this is what the Orioles decide.

1B Mountcastle

2B Westburg 

SS Henderson

3B Urias

C Rutschman

LF Hays

CF Mullins

RF Santander 

DH Kjerstad

Bench - McCann, Mateo, O’Hearn, Hilliard

Bradish

G. Rodriguez 

Cease (Ortiz and Cowser traded)

Kremer 

Means

Bullpen 

David Robertson

Cano

Hall

Wells 

Coulombe

Webb

Perez

Irvin

Just now, RZNJ said:

What I would do.  Hold Mayo and Holliday in Norfolk until May for the extra year.  So, by May1.

1B Mayo

2B Holliday 

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

C Rutschman

LF Hays

CF Mullins

RF Santander

DH Kjerstad

Bench - McCann, O’Hearn, Ortiz, Cowser

What are you doing with Mountcastle in this scenario? 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s not on the team so he must have been traded.  Most likely traded before the season with O’Hearn playing 1B and then sharing with or backing up Mayo.

That sounds awfully risky to me for a team with WS designs. Jettisoning a proven (albeit flawed) middle of the order bat on the hope that O'Hearn repeats and Mayo can replace Mounty's production as a rookie? 

Edited by interloper

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

That sounds awfully risky to me for a team with WS designs. Jettisoning a proven (albeit flawed) middle of the order bat on the hope that O'Hearn repeats and Mayo can replace Mounty's production as a rookie? 

If Mountcastle was a middle of the order bat it might be very risky. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Mountcastle was a middle of the order bat it might be very risky. 

So do you think Mayo, as the RH side of the platoon with O'Hearn, can match Mountcastle's .849 career OPS vs LHP (1.052 in 2023)? Against guys he's seeing for the first time all year? 

To me it's just not realistic to think the O's would throw him in the deep end like that and hope he replaces Mountcastle's production. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

So do you think Mayo, as the RH side of the platoon with O'Hearn, can match Mountcastle's .849 career OPS vs LHP (1.052 in 2023)? Against guys he's seeing for the first time all year? 

To me it's just not realistic to think the O's would throw him in the deep like that and hope he replaces Mountcastle's production. 

You’re afraid O’Hearn won’t repeat but now you’re using Mountcastle in a strict platoon?   Overall, our 1B gave us a slightly below .800 OPS.   I think Mayo would not be that far off and by the end of the year could be a force.  Of course, there’s some risk but it’s not like we’re replacing Matt Olson at 1B.   

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You’re afraid O’Hearn won’t repeat but now you’re using Mountcastle in a strict platoon?   Overall, our 1B gave us a slightly below .800 OPS.   I think Mayo would not be that far off and by the end of the year could be a force.  Of course, there’s some risk but it’s not like we’re replacing Matt Olson at 1B.   

I'm always afraid everyone won't repeat, and that all pitchers will get TJS a week into spring training. Lol. So to the extent I'm worried about O'Hearn, I'm also worried about Mountcastle having more debilitating vertigo. Or Mayo not being able to hang. Gunnar having a sophomore slump. Etc. 

I'm just saying, we know what Mounty can do. When healthy last year he was pretty incredible. I like Mayo a lot, but there's no way I'm making him my starting 1B on a WS-hunting team. With so many other rookies and 2nd year guys already? Dunno. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm always afraid everyone won't repeat, and that all pitchers will get TJS a week into spring training. Lol. So to the extent I'm worried about O'Hearn, I'm also worried about Mountcastle having more debilitating vertigo. Or Mayo not being able to hang. Gunnar having a sophomore slump. Etc. 

I'm just saying, we know what Mounty can do. When healthy last year he was pretty incredible. I like Mayo a lot, but there's no way I'm making him my starting 1B on a WS-hunting team. With so many other rookies and 2nd year guys already? Dunno. 

You’re going to keep Mayo in AAA all year if the team is contending or give him sporadic AB’s on the bench.   He’s our #2 or #3 prospect who put up an 1.165 OPS in September at AAA.   If you’re nervous about Mayo ………

Lots of options on the infield as many of the prospects and current players can play multiple positions (Mayo-3B/1B, Ortiz-2B/SS, Holliday-2B/SS, Henderson, 3B/SS, Westburg-2B/3B, Urias-2B/3B/1B, etc)

I see an issue in the OF, however.  The Os love players that can move around and play various positions in case of injury or rest is needed.  Santander and Kjerstad are sort of a liability in this department.  I suppose one could argue that Santander could (and has) played 1B but neither of them can play around the OF.  If Mullins is injured or needs the day off, the Os are sort of forced to use Hays there or someone off the bench.  Cowser played CF a few times last year but from what I saw he wasn't what we need (unless he just had some bad games fielding those days). 

I expect them to move Santander this offseason.  For one, his lack of flexibility in the field and two, he's in his final year anyway.  That way you only have one liability position-wise in the OF - Kjerstad and it gives you an extra spot for another OF that can play multiple positions.  

Just my two cents.