Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

What are the Brewers looking to do next season? Rebuild or compete?

If they are trying to compete, they need offense. Perhaps the trade includes a Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, and/or Mullins? 

I also think the O's need Devin Williams. Again, what are the Brewers trying to do next year though?

If they are trying to rebuild, what prospects bag Burnes? Williams? Both?

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, Povich, Beavers, McDermott could get us both

Only one year of Burnes is a big deal.  An alternate approach says half the number of prospects gets you double the years of Cease and Robert Stephenson could be had in FA for $4-6 million AAV with prospects left over for the trade deadline.  If Mike Elias has shown us anything, it's that he has a disciplined approach toward valuation.

I would love to get Devin Williams, but it might be more advantageous to try to work a separate deal for him alone.  Maybe Hays, or Ortiz and a lottery ticket if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

ESPN proposes the big move of Burnes for Mayo straight up.  Who bites?

Why would you give a Uber prospect for 1 year of a pitcher you’re probably not going to extend. If you could buy out 2024 and add 2-3 years…..something like 4/60 that would be a different story.

Say 13, 13, 15, 19 million per or something like that. Maybe they could include some bonus money to make it more attractive.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would you give a Uber prospect for 1 year of a pitcher you’re probably not going to extend. If you could buy out 2024 and add 2-3 years…..something like 4/60 that would be a different story.

Say 13, 13, 15, 19 million per or something like that. Maybe they could include some bonus money to make it more attractive.

Why would Burnes sign something like that?  That’s ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Closer to 80?

Put it this way: 

After  traded for Jose Berrios, he was extended one year before free agency for 7/$119 mm.  He had a career ERA+ of 108 at the time.  

After Seattle traded for Luis Castillo, he was extended one year before free agency for 5/$108 mm.   He had a career  ERA+ of 124 at the time.

Burnes has a career ERA+ of 129.   

I’m guessing it would take 6/$150 mm to convince Burnes to extend.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Put it this way: 

After  traded for Jose Berrios, he was extended one year before free agency for 7/$119 mm.  He had a career ERA+ of 108 at the time.  

After Seattle traded for Luis Castillo, he was extended one year before free agency for 5/$108 mm.   He had a career  ERA+ of 124 at the time.

Burnes has a career ERA+ of 129.   

I’m guessing it would take 6/$150 mm to convince Burnes to extend.   

I’m in ….but I don’t expect John Angelos would be in.

36 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I agree after Tony's write up.  I think a lot of us were thinking less of Mayo until then (except Roy).  I wouldn't pull the trigger either, but a Burnes trade puts this staff near the top in the bigs.

I like Burnes a lot, I just don’t want to put that many eggs in a one-year basket.  

40 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I agree after Tony's write up.  I think a lot of us were thinking less of Mayo until then (except Roy).  I wouldn't pull the trigger either, but a Burnes trade puts this staff near the top in the bigs.

Mayo’s OPS this season was .973 and our 4th best prospect per MlB.com. Tony’s take makes you feel good but I’m not sure how you could think less of him.